Thread: Rookie question please

Default Rookie question please

When fingering Cm at the 5568 position should I use the pinky on 8 or the ring finger or is it just personal preference which is the primary consideration. Is there a "basic" rule on this which I should stick to? I'm working through MMs chord book. If it just makes sense in terms of comfort and reach to finger a chord with the first and third fingers vs the first and second should I strive for the first and second with increased dexterity over time or should I just learn and practice what's obviously easier?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Parajack; Mar-25-2017 at 10:35pm. Reason: Addition

Default Re: Rookie question please

IMO you should use your pinkie for sure. because for C 5578 you're going to use your pinkie - and it's not especially difficult. but maybe not everyone agrees...

3. The following members say thank you to Marc Katz for this post:

I'd use my pinkie. I have no problem with the 2 frets per finger thing for single note lines, but I go with whatever is more comfortable for chords.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Also consider the position of your fingers in the chord before and the chord after, since a song rarely has a single chord : ). Your muscle memory will thank you for a fluent transition, even if the intermediate fingering is not obvious in isolation.

MM explicitly states in his Fundamentals for Mandolin 2 Homespun DVD that all rules are off when fingering chords: get on and off of it anyway you can while striving for a clean sound. I do think you can pick up a lot by watching how he plays, but he has large fingers and so may be able to do some single-finger "stab" barres that elude the svelte-tipped. That isn't your exact question, but it will come up. Then again, if you can get the adjacent middle strings ringing in a barred pair of courses but the outer strings are muted because incompletely depressed, that may work too (Sam Bush mentions that in one of his DVDs).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoAblyss For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post
    Also consider the position of your fingers in the chord before and the chord after, since a song rarely has a single chord : ). Your muscle memory will thank you for a fluent transition, even if the intermediate fingering is not obvious in isolation.
    Really good advice!
    Jes Woodland
    Ozark 2001Mandolin
    Ozark 2223 Octave Mandolin

Also consider the position of your fingers in the chord before and the chord after, since a song rarely has a single chord : ). .
    Exactly.

I normally grab that Cm as fingers 1 1 partial barre, the Eb with finger 2 and the high C with finger 4 - but I may use finger 3 if I need that D above it as a 9th. ( frets 5 5 6 10)

Or me, 5578 is easier without the pinkie, while 5568 is easier with it due to the difficulty of the middle finger/ring finger separation. But I'd be working on no pinkie for either. And I'd probably only use 3 note chords anyway.

But no rules except making the next chord easier.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Or me, 5578 is easier without the pinkie, while 5568 is easier with it due to the difficulty of the middle finger/ring finger separation. But I'd be working on no pinkie for either. And I'd probably only use 3 note chords anyway.
    But no rules except making the next chord easier.
    +1. No rules but what is easiest and smoothest. Work with and without pinkie enough to know what is easier before and after, may not be the same in all songs/tunes using same chord different progression.

Blog Entries

Also consider the position of your fingers in the chord before and the chord after,
    Bingo.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks everyone that was very helpful. My takeaway is that I should be perfectly comfortable with the third finger not engaged while the 2nd and forth are working if it's physically easier and makes sense with the chord and/or the progression. The 4th finger should become just as dexterious and useable as any of the other fingers or "tools" in the toolbox. So far it seems I have a natural tendency to "cheat away" from the pinky if I can. I should probably get away from that sooner than later right? Plus, when I start playing trips and runs and such I need to be able to "go to" fingers 2-4 just as comfortably as fingers 1-3?
    Thanks again

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

To me what would seem more important is what the next chord is. What will make the transition from your Cm to the next chord cleaner and easier?... I personally prefer to always use my pinky when using that chord shape.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous