Thread: Classified transactions - how does it work?

Default Classified transactions - how does it work?

Hey All -

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd try here. I have a mandolin posted in the classified section, and I realize that the instrument sells itself. What I'm not so sure about - this being my first sale - is how to handle payment, shipping, etc. Do I hold the mando until I receive full payment? How is payment usually sent? PayPal? What about shipping and insurance? Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Classified transactions - how does it work?

Yes, you do not ship until you have full payment.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Don't ship until you have he $$$. I've bought several instruments here and used Paypal every time. If I ever sell anything I wouldn't object to a cashier's check or even a personal one, but wouldn't ship until the personal check formally cleared. Just be up front and communicate, and there shouldn't be any issues. The only issue I've had was he USPS lost track of a mando once. Instead of arriving second day air it got here a week later. The seller, honestly, was way more worried about it than I was. I had enough tracking info to know he'd actually shipped it, so it was (literally and figuratively) out of his hands. But, we updated each other frequently during that week as we got new info from the USPS.
    Chuck

I ship with insurance that covers the value of the instrument. I state up front what the approval period is. I say 48 hours from delivery. If the buyer wants to return it, I specify they pay return shipping and insurance. I don't refund the payment until I have it back safe and sound.

Outstanding advice, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

I have gotten to the point I will only ship things over $100 with a signature required (not necessarily the person who you dealt with but from an adult). I have a tracking number and a starting point, I also have a definite end point. The reason I do it is you know it was delivered to the correct address, if not the shipper is responsible. There is not issues with it shows it was delivered but the buyer said they did not get it, due to theft at the door, delivered to the wrong address or someone thinking they will get a free instrument. Shop the carriers for prices, sometimes there is enough of a difference to save some money. FedEx has seemed to be the least for an instrument, but they are not great when something is damaged in shipping?

I just finished a trade transaction, we both shipped one day apart, both got our instruments in the condition they were sent, and both used USPS, tracking went well also. Cost about $60.00 to ship (I paid extra for insurance, hoping it would make the USPS pay more attention, and it only added $10 to the shipping cost.) Since it was just a couple weeks ago, my costs are probably not outdated.

I go back and forth with the seller a lot..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I agree with mandroid: several emails, at least one telephone call, and if any item of value, make sure that the terms are spelled out in the email chain (e.g.: costs of shipping & insurance, what about PayPal percentage, trial period, buyer pays return and money back (when instrument received as sent), and then make sure that the check clears or go through PayPal - if you want their assurance) and receive confirmed payment before you send the instrument.

Your job is to make sure that the instrument is "as advertised"- photo documentation from all angles- especially if wear or cosmetic issues, know the nut width, know any repairs or non-original parts and then send it packed well with insurance. Signature required for delivery is standard. I've bought & sold several instruments on MC & it's a great place to do business. And don't forget your Cafe Donation at the end of the day.

Good stuff, thanks all for the guidance.