Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to play variations that I hear in my head

Default Trying to play variations that I hear in my head

I'm a learn by ear player but I often get stuck with whatever I learned the first time. Every so slowly I am getting better at making small variations to what I've learned. But in my mind, I can come up with great variations, really (what I think is) cool stuff. But when I sit down to give it a try, my fingers get stick with the same-old-same-old tune and whatever was in my mind evaporated. Is there a trick to doing this? I'm not a bluegrass player, but the way, not doing anything quite that fancy.

Edit: what I mean by learn by ear player is that I learn the tunes at the jam, played at full speed and I learn them either right then and there or maybe after I hear 'em a few more times, then they're mine. I'm pretty good at learning by ear, just not at making variations.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default Re: Trying to play variations that I hear in my head

Just sing/vocalize your ideas/variations over and over without the distraction of an instrument in your hands. Burn it into your ear and once you do that, make your hands follow the ear.

NH

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Based on how quickly you say you learn tunes by ear, my guess is that you need to practice playing these variations slowly. Speed at any new skill comes with lots of deliberate practice.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Blog Entries

Get the chords down really well in your head. Then sing it out & if you can also play them on the mandolin too that's a bonus.
    Then once you have the chord progression really solid while running the tune (singing or in your head), try switching to playing an accompaniment to the tune you can hear. Experiment and don't be afraid to fail, that's normally where the intersting or edgy ideas hide.
    I call it "playing anything but the tune" because the tune is already playing in your head so you're just playing around it making sure it fits well.
    As you do this you'll find some great licks come out that really work with the tune, keep running them for as many passes as it takes for them to be part of the tune for you & they will make great variations for when the tune is being played by others.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

6. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Thing is whatever is in my head evaporates as soon as I try to do it out loud. I can't sing for ####, either. I guess I just have to try harder and hope for a breakthrough or something.

I hear ya on the "can't sing" part - I have to do something like that with the instrument in my hand, or it isn't happening at all. Perhaps you could loop a somewhat slowed-down recording of the particular tune(s) you want to do variations on, and practice noodling along with them. Just a thought.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

That's a good idea. I should maybe tape my friend surreptitiously and then just copy him.

Maybe don't try to play what's in your head, but just wing it instead,,take chances,,different notes and ryhtms,double stops,etc,, as you improvise along,..

Blog Entries

I well remember the feeling of notes being just beyond reach, evaporating as I tried to really "hear" them in my head (much less play them).

I don't think there are shortcuts to being able to play what you imagine. I feel I have only recently arrived at some capacity to just whip it out, and the process was simply learning a bunch of stuff other people play, and working out some painfully developed variations, over years of work. To improvise sensibly you need practiced vocabulary, in the sense that it's not singing, but asking your fingers to do stuff that is NOT instinct. After enough time you have a stock of patterns, phrases, figures, chord alternates, etc.

It takes practice to improvise music (as opposed to just sounds). No escaping the time-on-task, I think, but enough time should get you there, if you are imagining now.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

12. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

From sbhikes - "...and whatever was in my mind evaporated." You too !. It happens to me all the time,especially if i come up with a melody line of my own. I'll sit,play the melody over & over,but when i come to fill the tune out,in coming up with a second or third part,the first part vanishes.
    One thing that i read in the book ''Masters of The 5-String Banjo'',by Tony Trishka & Peter Wernick - when they interviewed Bela Fleck for the book,he said that he records new ideas for tunes on tape. BF was obviously well aware that 'new stuff' can vanish !.

Unless you have a heck of a musical memory,i think that recording 'new stuff' is possibly the only way to ensure that you don't loose it. I sit & noodle around all the time,but i find coming up with new ideas hard & if i do come up with something,i have to play it LOTS of times to get it into my head - there's no 'easy way' (for me),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I once wrote down the melody of something lovely that I heard in a dream. Couldn't wait to write it down when I awakened. Then months later, I realized it was music already composed, that had come up from my subconscious mind, when I heard it on the radio one day. I had evidently played it once upon a time, retained it, but had no clue what it was. Good thing I never tried to pass it off as my own - that would have left a lot of egg on my face. Since then, I've played it quite a few times, but this happened a few decades back.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I once wrote down the melody of something lovely that I heard in a dream. Couldn't wait to write it down when I awakened. Then months later, I realized it was music already composed, that had come up from my subconscious mind, when I heard it on the radio one day.
    This has happened to me as well, and it is much more common than you might think. There's only so many notes, as they say, and they've all been played already. You get used to the effect when you play Irish music, where every tune seems to be made up of snippets of all other tunes.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I read they created a computer program to make Irish music from snippets. Turns out most of these computer-generated tunes lack soul and just don't sound quite right.

The other night I composed a speech. I was going to write it all down so I could give it, but I never got around to it.

What Niles said, sing these out loud.

Another thing to do is sing a short phrase, then play it.

I don't mean the following to be a criticism of you or anyone else, but an observation that may help folks who want to play better by ear.

I often have had students tell me they can hear variations in their head, then it stops once they pick up the instrument. In order to play something you must be able to CLEARLY HEAR EACH NOTE IN YOUR MIND. I believe many players hear a general sound, but NOT specific notes. Slowing something down in your mind and singing it out loud forces you to hear EVERY NOTE in DETAIL. Doing this regularly, along with singing a phrase and playing it, is the best way I know of getting clear phrases in your mind, then onto the instrument. If practiced regularly, it comes around pretty quickly, usually in a few months time.

Hope this helps!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

18. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I read they created a computer program to make Irish music from snippets. Turns out most of these computer-generated tunes lack soul and just don't sound quite right.
    Haha, sort of a "bonded leather" approach to music.

bratsche

If you can't play the variation you want from the get-go, take some time to play through slowly and make sure every note is where you want it to be.

Sometimes it's even worth it to sit down and write it out (by hand or using one of the many programs) for the more complex ones.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

I am not surprised. The music is not in the snippets, it's in the way you connect them. The snippets really exist only virtually in somebody's analytic mind, but analysts are not good musicians.

This is a nice example of a reel taken apart (the B part, that is) and reassembled again, with a waltz found in the process:

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Good stuff so far.
    What I'd add:
    Be sure you're able to talk in 3 step scales, 5 step scales and 8 step scales.
    Be sure you know the chord under the melody. Because the chord or chord arpeggio can be a gateway to the departure.
    But it seems like scale work really helped me connect my head to my left hand. It sounds so simple, but if you've been just copying melody, you're missing what the melody is built upon.

I've been exploring variations in Irish trad for a while now, which is fairly tightly controlled if you want to do it in a session. I've found this a lot harder than improvising blues electric guitar solos, for instance. The thing that has helped me is playing along with an accompaniment track, which in itself is a rather more fluid thing in Irish music compared to a lot of other styles - the chord changes are not always so set in stone. It's a lot easier to experiment with things if you have the structure of an accompaniment track. I get ideas for variations from other players - particularly in sessions, but experimenting yourself in a session is not really on the cards with this style of music. I've been using backing tracks from the online academy of Irish music - you can have the track with melody as well which also gives lots of ideas for variations.
    Here I am playing along with one of these tracks with some on the fly variations with varying success. Sorry it's not the mandolin but the dreaded B!@£$

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    Sorry it's not the mandolin but the dreaded B!@£$
    I see the mandolin as a sweeter version of the (tenor) banjo in a way. I can do minor variations like some of yours were.

I think my variation blindness is some kind of holdover from the piano lessons days of way yonder. This Be The Tune. Once my fingers get the tune, it's set in stone and super hard to depart from it, even if my head can do it while I'm out riding my motorcycle or taking a shower or whatever.

I think my variation blindness is some kind of holdover from the piano lessons days of way yonder. This Be The Tune.
    This may well be the case, and it calls for a jailbreak. Start with playing wrong notes. Learn to love them, and with time you'll trust your fingers to play the right wrong notes.

I was thinking along similar lines, but that is very well put, Bertram! I couldn't have said it better, or more succinctly.

bratsche

I think my variation blindness is some kind of holdover from the piano lessons days of way yonder. This Be The Tune. Once my fingers get the tune, it's set in stone and super hard to depart from it, even if my head can do it while I'm out riding my motorcycle or taking a shower or whatever.
    I think the thing to do is not learn a version of the tune but just pick out the basic melody - the target notes as Mike Marshall puts it. Know where you should be at any point in the tune to retain the basic melody then vary how you get to those points. In other words don't learn a really busy version of the tune but a stripped down version - like a lot of old time basic melodies, then fill in the rest yourself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I often have had students tell me they can hear variations in their head, then it stops once they pick up the instrument. In order to play something you must be able to CLEARLY HEAR EACH NOTE IN YOUR MIND. I believe many players hear a general sound, but NOT specific notes. Slowing something down in your mind and singing it out loud forces you to hear EVERY NOTE in DETAIL. Doing this regularly, along with singing a phrase and playing it, is the best way I know of getting clear phrases in your mind, then onto the instrument. If practiced regularly, it comes around pretty quickly, usually in a few months time.!
    I was going to say this, but Peter said it so much better.

This is so important! Many times I have a great idea, but not really. It is perhaps the embryo of an idea, but if I can't sing the idea, in detail, how are my fingers going to play it, even if they are mind readers, if there is nothing concrete in mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I was going to say this, but Peter said it so much better.

This is so important! Many times I have a great idea, but not really. It is perhaps the embryo of an idea, but if I can't sing the idea, in detail, how are my fingers going to play it, even if they are mind readers, if there is nothing concrete in mind.
    Well, for this vocally limited player, it's actually quite a bit easier to get an idea "concrete in mind" by thinking it, developing that "embryo" into a full-fledged thought, in detail. Especially if it's something including large interval jumps, octave shifts outside my vocal range, or string-crossing work, in which situations attempting to sing it, and doing so badly or even terribly, would actually be an additional hurdle, and an impediment to progress... 'tis much better, in that case, to enlist the aid of a music notation program... but, I've said these sorts of things before. LOL Carry on.

bratsche