Thread: string clearance

Default string clearance

What should the clearance between the strings and the first fret be?

Default Re: string clearance

You can get several answers on this, but rule of thumb is if you fret on the 3rd fret and look at the clearance between the first fret and the string there should be just a minimal amount. I like to fret the first fret and look at the second fret to string distance and make it only slightly larger. I am older with some arthritis so I like a low action, should you do this have your action at the bridge set at it's lowest first. When doing the first way that is not necessary.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can get several answers on this, but rule of thumb is if you fret on the 3rd fret and look at the clearance between the first fret and the string there should be just a minimal amount. I like to fret the first fret and look at the second fret to string distance and make it only slightly larger. I am older with some arthritis so I like a low action, should you do this have your action at the bridge set at it's lowest first. When doing the first way that is not necessary.
    I'm playing my new build in the white until I get it just right...I feel like my nut slots are a tad high. when I fret the e strings on the third fret, I'm measuring about .015 at the first fret, with an automotive feeler gauge. What do you think?

Here's Frank Ford's photo essay on setting action at the nut. If you're talking .015 inch(at 1st fret) with the string fretted at the 3rd fret, your action is very high. Just a little bit of "air" is what you want to see, like 2 or 3 thou.

Personally, I would have the most minimal clearance that you can feel or see, but too little to measure. The lower the action at the 12th fret the closer to the first. Some like a higher action at the 12 fret so it would raise it at the 1st. I like mine to be slightly higher than the space between the second when fretted at the first, that would not give you clearance, but most here will want to see some clearance. If you are a hard player then you may want the clearance. I can play hard enough to have plenty of volume, but I know I am not playing hard like some do.

Paper thin air for E course, little more for G.

What would be a good low to medium action clearance at the 12th fret?

1.2 to 1.5 mm.

If you don't have a mm ruler, 1.5/32 - 2/32. I like slightly less for low action. It will depend on how level your frets are and how much relief is in your fingerboard. If you are taking the space at the nut low do this first.