Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G Chord

Default Re: G Chord

I personally would not play a chord with two thirds. I hate the sound of the "standard" bluegrass D chop (7452) because with two roots and two thirds it just sounds weak to my ears. If I were to play a G with the B in the bass, I would play 45xx only. It never used to bother me on guitar, where open G and C contain two thirds, but to me, on the mandolin it gets too thin. My 2¢ worth.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malco View Post
    I got the G chop chord down, but the one that gives me fits is the D chop chord, fingered 7452. Been practicing going from that to G, which is pretty easy, but going from the C to the D and back is tough. Then throw in going from the A (2245) to D? Yikes.
    I like to chop 245x for the D chop chord even when I'm doing a 1-4-5 progression in G; I use the standard G and C chop chords but just prefer the 245x form for D, makes the D and G chords sound more different which I prefer.

This D chord is especially is easy when doing 1-4-5 progression in D or A: in D, it's D 245x, G standard chop, and A 2245 or even 224x... in A it's the same for the A and D chords and you just slide it forward 2 frets from the D chord for E (467x)... I particularly like these because the G and D courses are lower pitched for more umph and bark.

IMO this shape also makes the Minor chords easier to do too: D 235x, A 2235 or 223x, E 457x, B 4457 etc etc etc
    Last edited by soliver; Mar-13-2017 at 11:08pm.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I hate the fake chop, muting all strings and chucking on the off beat, that ain't the role of a bluegrass mandolin I don't care if a lot of players do it or chop so quick it sounds like it..
    You don't know? Every mandolin comes with a free built in washboard!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Playing the G chord that i use,the lower note onthe G string really beefs up the 'tone' of it. Playing the accepted G chord,the higher note on the G string makes it sound weaker to my ears,plus the fact that some folk simply can't fret the G strings adequately with their pinky. I'm not one of 'em. After 50 years + of banjo playing,i can fret strings like ship's hawsers. Playing the G chord that i use,when playing chop chords,it's low & woody because of the B note on the G strings. The standard C#
    makes the chord sound higher pitched (it is!) & robs it of it's 'punch' IMHO,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    because of the B note on the G strings. The standard C#
    makes the chord sound higher pitched (it is!) & robs it of it's 'punch' IMHO,
    Ivan
    I get your point, but I think a typo confused me for a bit- I think you meant to say the D on the G string gives it a higher pitch than your B. Personally I think a G chord chops a lot better when fretted at the 7th.

6. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    You don't know? Every mandolin comes with a free built in washboard!
    It must bei missing on my mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I like to chop 245x for the D chop chord even when I'm doing a 1-4-5 progression in G; I use the standard G and C chop chords but just prefer the 245x form for D, makes the D and G chords sound more different which I prefer.
    What's the "standard" C chop chord?

Hi James - Thanks for the correction !. "D" it should have been. The chord box i used doesn't show the 7th fret = i can't count either !!. While i was having a practice yesterday,i used both chord shapes,& i still prefer the chord shape that i use. Using the 'standard shape,the D note at the 7th fret really stands out. The lower note adds a real 'woof' to the tone - purely a matter of choice,as it should be,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    I personally would not play a chord with two thirds. I hate the sound of the "standard" bluegrass D chop (7452) because with two roots and two thirds it just sounds weak to my ears. If I were to play a G with the B in the bass, I would play 45xx only. It never used to bother me on guitar, where open G and C contain two thirds, but to me, on the mandolin it gets too thin. My 2¢ worth.
    A chord with two thirds in it doesn't bother me as much as a chord with a third as the lowest note (1st inversion). There are certain musical contexts where such a chord sounds nice, but I think it sounds terrible as a chop chord. The power of a chop chord really calls for a root or fifth as the bass note. Just my personal preference...
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

11. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hatta View Post
    What's the "standard" C chop chord?
    Take the G chop and move it one set of strings basswards.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

13. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

hatta 

Some great advice in this thread, thanks

This is the 'G' chord shape that i use,simply because i prefer the sound of the lower note on the G strings.

Chris Bowsman mentions maybe not sounding the "E" strings when playing the 7523 shape. Using the G chord shape that i use,the E strings ring loud & clear - but it's a matter of personal choice,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G Major chord shape.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	154797
    I came here after realizing that my fingers don't play nicely with the standard four-finger Gm chord. Your version is a delight to play.

This is the 'G' chord shape that i use,simply because i prefer the sound of the lower note on the G strings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G Major chord shape.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	154797
    I did not know this G chord shape, I like it, thanks for sharing. What C chord shape do you go to from this? My arthritic fingers need smooth easy changes.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Ramsey View Post
    If you're playing bluegrass, I would avoid the three finger approach for G. Your job in that context is to be a snare drum. Hard to do that if you have a loud open bass string ringing. Even muting the strings with your left hand and "chunking" on 2 and 4 would be better than the three finger approach with an open G, IMO. My main recommendation for "cheating" is to play (low to high) 75XX with your middle two fingers. This way, you're getting the bass chunk on the G, and it's relatively close to you three finger C chop (523X) and D chop (745X).

There not a single way to use a snare drum, not even a lone one, and no single way to play rhythm on the mandolin. I've never really understood what one has to do with the other. Also, I would assume that "3 finger chord" in general means "3 note chord".

A shape I like to use is d-b-g on the three lower courses- same compass as the chop G, only the high d missing. It connects well with other forms, such as a rootless G7: d-b-f and a passing gdim: c#-bb-e; also D7:d-c-f# (if you can stand the sound of a tritone interval on top).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHall77 View Post
    Is it ok for me to just use the 3 finger G? I can chop and switch back and forth so much better. Just don't want to pick up any bad habits and hinder my playing
    Try the RH dropped on the strings to 'chop', stop, them vibrating, immediately..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mee - I used the 'C' chord shape shown on this page :- http://www.drpsychotic.com/mandolin/keyofc.html For the D/E/F etc. chords,i simply use a first finger barre. I'm all for simplicity 'if it sounds correct' (or better),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

20. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

mee