Thread: Who's on this Bill Monroe Album?

Default Who's on this Bill Monroe Album?

I bought a Bill Monroe compilation record off ebay, The Originsl Blue Grass Sound Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys. A little searching revealed it's a compilation released in 1965 but I'm not sure where the cuts come from. The main reason I'm looking is I swear I hear Del McCoury on several tracks and the year would work with his short tenure with the "Boys". Here is a link to the album https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Monroe-...elease/4839921

I checke out doodah.net for dates but it didn't really help me figure this one out. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Who's on this Bill Monroe Album?

You'd need to check out who was on each of these separate recordings,bearing in mind that BM recorded some songs several times.
    http://www.lpdiscography.com/?page=album&album=6586

As the LP was released in 1965,the recordings were obviously made prior to that date ,so it might narrow it down. Re. Del McCoury - Del was part of BM's band for a while & recorded with him on the album ''Bluegrass Time''. However,none of the songs on 'Bluegrass Time'' are also on ''Original sound....'' record.

I have the book by Neil Rosenberg & Charles K.Wolfe - ''The Music of Bill Monroe'' a complete discography of every recording he ever made. Del McCoury reorded ''Will You Be Lovin' Another Man'' with BM recorded at The Newport Folk Festival on July 27 1963 ''in the morning !'' Del Mc also recorded several songs with BM on a recording made at The Mechanic's Hall,Worcester,Mass. Nov.11th 1963,but none of the songs on the 'Original Sound...' are on that reording,which was made by David Grisman, & then leased to Acoustic Disc.,Grisman's own record Co.,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Thanks for the info. That was my problem, not knowing which versions each of these were.

By the way, how is that Bluegrass Time album? Peter Rowan, Bill Keith (albeit one track) and Del? Sounds like a winner to me.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    I bought a Bill Monroe compilation record off ebay, The Originsl Blue Grass Sound Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys. A little searching revealed it's a compilation released in 1965 but I'm not sure where the cuts come from. The main reason I'm looking is I swear I hear Del McCoury on several tracks and the year would work with his short tenure with the "Boys". Here is a link to the album https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Monroe-...elease/4839921

I checke out doodah.net for dates but it didn't really help me figure this one out. Any suggestions?
    The label is Harmony, making it clear that these recordings are from the Columbia period,
    with Flatt, Scruggs, Wise, and Watts. Interestingly, the guitarist on Community Curch House is Wise, not Flatt.

Del McCoury made only very few studio recordings with Monroe (for Decca), and sang on only one, Roll on, Buddy. I used to own a tape recorded at Bean Blossom (a copy of a copy of a copy ...) with McCoury, Keith, Joe Stuart, and, of course, Bessie Lee. It had some unusual stuff, e.g., Gospel Plow, and John Henry in the key of E (as part of a medley). McCoury's solo features were Walking the Dog and Dark Hollow.

According to the Rosenberg / Wolfe discography,Del McCoury sang lead on 'Will You Be Loving Another Man' & Bill Monroe sang tenor. (ref. page 172 - recording date 630727 = July 27 1963). Bill Keith played banjo,Bessie Lee played bass & Billy Baker played fiddle. The recording was made by Vanguard,owned by MCA & leased by Bear Family. It was produced by Ralph Rinzler.

I'd previously heard that Del McCoury had only sung on ''Roll On Buddy...'' - obviously not true. I think that the record # is ACD 25001 (Acoustic Disc ?) Maybe a question for Mr Grisman ?.
    Maybe 'Roll On Buddy...' was the only studio recording that Del Mc.sang on ?,
    Ivan

PS - The 'Harmony' record label was re-vamped as a budget label in 1957,so many of the re-issued recordings could be from well after Flatt & Scruggs left the band.

It would take me a while to sort through all the recordings that BM made with F & S,but i might get round to it some time.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

To be exact, one of the songs, Travelin' Down that Lonesome Road, was recorded for Columbia after F&S left the band. It has Mac Wiseman on guitar and lead vocals. The Rosenberg-Wolfe disco lists the various releases of the songs and you can see HL 7338 among them for all ten.

As for McCoury I was indeed referring to studio recordings, for Decca records. There was one session, with three songs. Minor correction, here: McCoury sang on two numbers, but one of them, Legend ot the Blue Ridge Mountains, was not released by Decca.

9. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post: