Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

Default What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

Ok maybe this has been talked about before but I am kind of looking for a new case and there are so many out there. I have a Gator case, it's nice enough but I would like something else. Either oblong or shaped. Of course what I really want is Gibson case for my Gibson F9, it did not come with a hardshell but now I think they do. I called Gibson and they don't sell them. And unless I am willing to pay $$$ for a vintage one that's a bit too beat up, I am not going to find one. I was considering TKL oblong.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Ok maybe this has been talked about before but I am kind of looking for a new case and there are so many out there. I have a Gator case, it's nice enough but I would like something else. Either oblong or shaped. Of course what I really want is Gibson case for my Gibson F9, it did not come with a hardshell but now I think they do. I called Gibson and they don't sell them. And unless I am willing to pay $$$ for a vintage one that's a bit too beat up, I am not going to find one. I was considering TKL oblong.
    Paganoni my friend Paganoni A bit pricey if/when ya can find one but has the kool factor when one doesn't have or can afford the vintage rectangular Gibson F-5 cases.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Paganoni my friend Paganoni A bit pricey if/when ya can find one but has the kool factor when one doesn't have or can afford the vintage rectangular Gibson F-5 cases.
    Defintately a bit too pricey for me at $1000. But thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Of course what I really want is Gibson case for my Gibson F9, it did not come with a hardshell but now I think they do. I called Gibson and they don't sell them. And unless I am willing to pay $$$ for a vintage one that's a bit too beat up, I am not going to find one. I was considering TKL oblong.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-F5-Ma...oAAOSw4CFYvcYq

I used a rectangular TKL case for a long time. It served the purpose, but was a bit heavy. It was wearing out, so I got a Hiscox, which is MUCH lighter, and has more storage. However, I had to do a lot of modifying to get my Collings to fit snugly, and it is still loose at the thin neck support. It is very rigid, but bulky (MUCH thicker).

I just got one of the new Northfield cases, and like it so far. My Collings fits great without re-padding. It has decent storage, but not as much as the Hiscox. It is much more compact than the Hiscox, or TKL, and also heavier. I'm trying to get used to the carry handle, which is not as comfortable as the other two cases.

If I didn't have to carry so much stuff to gigs (I'm the band "foley artist") I'd be happy with the shaped case my Collings came in.

I've had a Calton case for mine since 1993 and it's been great.

My F5G came from Gibson in a Travelite case. My friends fern came in a TKL oblong. Don't get hung up on the brand name and there is no way an F9 case is a vintage case. My mandolin lives in a Calton.

Keep in mind that any case a Gibson mandolin ships in was probably made by somebody else.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Isn't that a TKL oblong case with a "Gibson" logo on it?

I have several cases - Calton (UK x2), Ameritage, Eastman, TKL - and they all serve their purpose. Depends how much rough treatment you're expecting them to take.

My current favorite, in terms of price, appearance, function and weight is the Bobelock Arrow case. It is not a flight case, it is not as crush resistant as a Calton or Hiscox, the interior is not as snug as a custom fit case (like Calton), but it has a sleek appearance, has a case cover with a large pocket and a strap, some interior storage, has wonderfully functioning latches, a good seal, hygrometer (to monitor humidity), is light and easy to carry, and is not ridiculously expensive.
    As I said, it is not a flight case, but most of the time we just carry our instruments from the house to the car, and from the car to the jam or gig. It is easily up to that challenge... with style.

10. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I echo Ray's thoughts: I use a Calton with case cover when traveling by airplane but prefer a lighter Eastman fiberglass case for jaunts about town. I tend to rotate mandolins in their cases, depending on when & what case it last resided in. Bebelock Arrows look pretty cool, but a bit more $$, size and weight than the Eastman fiberglass cases. Haven't tried the Travelite, Hiscox or Hoffee, and moved a mandolin out of an older rectangular case because of the size & weight. The TKL-type cases also work fine for short trips & I've been known to put shoulder straps on the handles so they can be slung over a shoulder when I'm carrying other gear.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I have this strange attraction to different bags and boxes. I have no clue as to why. I only know that I find myself wanting to purchase cases and bags I don't really need. Calton cases have served me well in guitar , mandolin and fiddle including a combination mandolin fiddle case. Heavy ...yes , protective ... oh yeah! Yet each time a Peagsus, Hoffee or Paganoni pops up in the classifieds I have to look away lest it be on it's way in the mail next week. So, for inexpensive cases meaning a hundred dollars or so I vote for TKL 's Silver Creek line. For a more substantial investment I will have to say Calton. Built in Canada or Austin either is an excellent case. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Pegasus case for my Lebeda. Great minimal shape for travel, super protective and rain resistant, custom color and interior choices. A bit on the expensive side, but I've been very happy with it over the last few years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegasus---closed.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	154672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegasus-open-with-mando.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	154671

That photo was soon after buying it. It now has a few scratches in the gelcoat after travel to many gigs, and semi-weekly pub sessions. Looks a bit more used/loved now (and with more stickers). Interior pockets are minimal, but enough to hold a StroboClip tuner, picks, and strings. That's all I need.

I love my Hoffee!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Pegasus:

Name:	pegasusellis.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	154673
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Smile Re: What is your absolute favorite F style mandolin CASE?

For a budget case I like the GATOR Journeyman. I bought one from Sam Ash recently, and I feel safe recommending it. Well made, and I like the look of it, too.
    'Absolute Favorite' case, though? Definitely the new Collings vintage-type deluxe case, 'though for me it would be a little pricey for an F9.

http://www.samash.com/journeyman-man...se-gjmmandox-p

Blog Entries

Not sure what you are after. Does it have to look on the outside like there is an F on the inside?

My favorite case is the Reunion Blues Continental mandolin case. NFI I just find it does what I want, strong, light, and is not without its own cool look.

Not specifically designed for an F style, but will accommodate any style easily. With Tone-Gard BTW.
    Last edited by JeffD; Mar-08-2017 at 2:54pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    'Absolute Favorite' case, though? Definitely the new Collings vintage-type deluxe case, 'though for me it would be a little pricey for an F9.
    I've got the hots for the Collins case as well. If I get a bonus this year, and if the taxman doesn't take it all, I may just spring for one.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-08-2017 at 4:24pm. Reason: fixed quote syntax
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Hoffee case. Just a fantastic case. I could probably jump up and down on it and not damage my mandolin. The latches and hardware are all of impeccable quality, tons of internal padding and a large pocket for gear.

They are expensive, but I feel they are worth it. If you can find a factory second, you can get a good deal. Apparently the carbon fiber is hard to lay down perfectly evenly, and sometimes it goes a little wrong and smears. Mine is a cosmetic second; there are two more places where the carbon fiber didn't lay down perfectly and so there are two nickel sized smears. I still bought it with full factory warranty, but at a substantial discount.

My F9 came new with a TKL shaped case, when I was traveling up and down the East coast,
    I opted for a Hiscox. If your looking for function over fashion, get yourself a Hiscox.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Pegasus case for my Lebeda. Great minimal shape for travel, super protective and rain resistant, custom color and interior choices. A bit on the expensive side, but I've been very happy with it over the last few years.

Name:	Pegasus---closed.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	154672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegasus-open-with-mando.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	154671

That photo was soon after buying it. It now has a few scratches in the gelcoat after travel to many gigs, and semi-weekly pub sessions. Looks a bit more used/loved now (and with more stickers). Interior pockets are minimal, but enough to hold a StroboClip tuner, picks, and strings. That's all I need.
    Ditto, [I only have 1 F, my Peg is Green, bought used, here]

(the fiberglas eastman A5 case is green too)

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    For a budget case I like the GATOR Journeyman. I bought one from Sam Ash recently, and I feel safe recommending it. Well made, and I like the look of it, too.
    Good to know! One of the few tweed cases available these days and I like tweed cases.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

23. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Calton all the way! Great case!
    \Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2 in Calton.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	154699
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

A Gibson mandolin case would in all probability be a rectanguar case. So,why not go ahead & buy a good TKL rectangular case ?.
    I have one,a TKL 'American Vintage' rectangular case,bought from 'First Quality' around 10 years ago & it's excellent.
    The 'Bobelok'' 'rect.' case looks very nice as well. I used to own a Hiscox case,but for me,it was far too bulky & had too much free space doing nothing inside it.

The ''Silver Creek''case seem to be well liked & are more like Gibson cases than others,
    Ivan

Name:	TKL Rect.case.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	154709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Creek cae...jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	154710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobelock Mandolin case..jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	154711
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I have one,a TKL 'American Vintage' rectangular case,bought from 'First Quality' around 10 years ago & it's excellent
    I like the TKL rectangular one but haven't found it for sale anywhere. Thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    I have this strange attraction to different bags and boxes. I have no clue as to why. I only know that I find myself wanting to purchase cases and bags I don't really need. Calton cases have served me well in guitar , mandolin and fiddle including a combination mandolin fiddle case. Heavy ...yes , protective ... oh yeah! Yet each time a Peagsus, Hoffee or Paganoni pops up in the classifieds I have to look away lest it be on it's way in the mail next week. R/
    I can totally relate. I am happy with my mandolins (I've been MAS free for years) , but for some reason I have this attraction to cases that I don't need,just want.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post: