Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For the older players: arthritis and mandolining

Default Re: For the older players: arthritis and mandolining

Gettin' old ain't for whimps.

2. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Funny that you mentioned turmeric. My wife's osteoarthritis has been bothering her more and more lately, and several of her older friends have mentioned turmeric to her. They seem to swear by it, saying that it made a huge difference. So my wife bought some, but she hasn't worked up the nerve to try it yet. It wasn't in capsule/pill form, though. I believe it was just in powder or liquid form that she has to mix with water and drink.

Isn't turmeric one of the main ingredients in curry powder seasoning?
    Yup! Turmeric, cumin, and a variety of others, coriander, etc.

I often put a bit of turmeric, green onion, and chervil and t arragon in scrambled eggs. Tasty, and adds to the daily intake. Less is more for taste, more is more for intake, but it gets a bit harsh when over done.

I too had arthritis, really crippling until i got on meds, and now things are good, back to gym, bike, daily playing.

Had no ideabooze was a factor.
    Luckily, other than that, i dont intake much sugar, processed, straight or otherwise. Have cut down on carbs too, and it does help with energy, and whats left of my looks.......

So you have an idea of where I'm coming from: I'm 67 and play the mandolin for fun. I like to "quietly " play melody I'm not really that into chords. I have finger and knee issues-this is what works for me Copper. I have fingerless gloves from Tommy Copper (kind of pricey) and knee and elbow sleeves from Copper/Wear which I get at Bed,Bath&Beyond. I have a treasure trove of copper bracelets (no magnets attached) and rings. Copper has helped me with pain and swelling.
    I agree with J Cook about Glucosamine-chondroitin I take it regularly and it has made an observable difference in my 15+ yr. old dog.
    Like Mike Scott I'm a big believer in Arnica. I often cook with tumeric and cumin. I will look for the tumeric capsules. Thanks
    In addition to my two mandolins I play a vita uke strung for mandolin tuning (Aquila soprano uke string 5th tuning). The nylon strings feel delightful and sound beautiful.

"Hard alcohol -- including vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey -- has 0 grams of carbs or sugar per ounce." Spirits are "low carb." Beer is not, however.

6. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

It's late so I jumped ahead to post my reply...

I will be 71 in July and I have been using this product for more than a decade. I have always been remiss about taking pills so when I've missed a week or so I have noticed an uptick in joint "awareness" i.e. pain.

http://www.solgar.com/solgarproducts...e-capsules.htm

I don't know the policy here regarding recommending products so if I'm overstepping the boundaries, so be it. I love this product and it absolutely helps.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Registered User misterstormalong's Avatar

I posted about my own condition in an earlier thread https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...7421-Arthritis

Since taking Glucosamine there has been a dramatic improvement.

Rik
    Hora Concert Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MD504 Mandolin
    Crane Duet Concertina
    Gretsch Jim Dandy parlour guitar
    Gold Tone AC-4 Tenor Banjo
    http://justanechoonthewind.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Yes turmeric is used in curry dishes, a bit for flavor but mostly to give it the yellowish color. good stuff! "They" do say that stuff is a wonder powder for arthritis. also another is a hot/spicer spice thats good for pain/arthritis. I just can't think of the name right now. but "they" say eat spicy foods to release the poison. Cumin, thats what I was tryin to think of!
    Last edited by William Smith; May-16-2017 at 3:11am. Reason: remembered something

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    "Hard alcohol -- including vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey -- has 0 grams of carbs or sugar per ounce." Spirits are "low carb." Beer is not, however.
    Hard liquor may not have any measurable sugars or other carbs, but unfortunately, they do affect your body similar to sugars. That's one of the main things I remember from my days of low-carb Atkins dieting. The purpose of low-carb fare is to regulate blood sugar levels. And guess what causes blood sugar levels to fluctuate besides carbs? Alcohol and caffeine.

There are days where I miss the low-carb lifestyle. I have never felt better in my life than when I was doing that. I had lots of energy, I slept better, had almost zero aches and pains, and it was easy to stay fit and trim.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I'm only 55, but my right hand is effected, typically executing a banjer roll. Between that and other aches and pains I was chowing 800mg of ibuprofen once or twice a day. I listened to Dr. Ronda Patrick discussing inflammation with Joe Rogan. She expounded about the benefits of broccoli sprouts. Since I started eating them, I've not taken any ibuprofen or naproxen!
    As it's been mentioned, sugar is bad stuff. I've heard it said if it were new today, it would not pass with the US FDA. So is it the sprouts, or the low carb/low sugar? Yes!

Does anyone know if the turmeric capsules are essentially the same as the turmeric powder you'd buy as a spice?

I am wondering about wine as compared to beer and hard stuff.

Also for those using ibuprofen I did that 20 years ago, took some with grapefruit juice and ended up in emergency. Grapefruit juice can make meds 5 times stronger, came out about 5 months after my incident. Just thought I would throw it out there. They say 2 hours before and after to not drink it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post

Also for those using ibuprofen I did that 20 years ago, took some with grapefruit juice and ended up in emergency. Grapefruit juice can make meds 5 times stronger, came out about 5 months after my incident. Just thought I would throw it out there. They say 2 hours before and after to not drink it.
    Yep the father in law nearly killed himself with it while taking Warfarin tablets for his blood. It's lovely stuff though. Thanks for the heads-up about ibuprofin, I could see myself falling into that trap if I used Ibuprofin. I do use the topical gel sometimes to ease the joints, so that could be worth checking out / remembering in case it caused a skin problem.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Does anyone know if the turmeric capsules are essentially the same as the turmeric powder you'd buy as a spice?
    Yes, it is. We buy it in bulk by the pound from the major dried organic herb supplier through Amazon, as my husband uses it as part of an infusion he takes every day for his allergies. (He has no arthritis.) We are both huge herbal medicine proponents, btw, and neither of us are on any pharma drugs. One of our fridges serves as our dispensary for hundreds of supplements. ;-) (I "saw the light" years ago, when we were able to prolong the life of a former cat by a decade who had a pretty hopeless prognosis due to a severe heart condition, and we're presently dealing with a post-cancer amputee cat.)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post

Wine would fall between beer and the hard stuff with respect to sugars and what not. Although it probably depends on the wine and the beer.

No sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol.......no way! 'Guess I'll be giving up the mandolin soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    So my wife bought some, but she hasn't worked up the nerve to try it yet. It wasn't in capsule/pill form, though. I believe it was just in powder or liquid form that she has to mix with water and drink.

Isn't turmeric one of the main ingredients in curry powder seasoning?
    Yes, turmeric is used in many world foods, including curry. I can't imagine mixing it in water and drinking it - that does not sound very appetizing to me! I like turmeric in foods, but taking it that way doesn't sound good. But she can put it into food and take it that way. The only problem is that she (and probably you too?) would be eating a lot of curry every day. The capsules are easy to take, and not expensive. You get a more concentrated dose with capsules than you would just by eating it in food. I buy them at CVS sometimes, or Walmart, or the supermarket, and usually you can get two jars of capsules for the price of one - usually around $12 or so. Much easier way to take turmeric.

Jack

19. The following members say thank you to JCook for this post: