Thread: Luthiers in Shenandoah Valley. Virginia area

Default Luthiers in Shenandoah Valley. Virginia area

I'm in need of some fret work. I am located in the central part of Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I used to take my mandolin to John Hamlett but he is now in Kentucky. My mandolin is a Nuggett which is very expensive to ship and insure so I would like to find a new, good luthier to do this work. There's been one luthier not too far away who was recommended but he seems disinterested. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Luthiers in Shenandoah Valley. Virginia area

you may want to reach out to Charles Johnson at vintagemandolin.com Charles lives in Richmond and has folks in Richmond that work on the dozens of instruments that come through his shop. No clue if this will lead you anywhere, but. . .

In the Valley, who knows?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    I'm in need of some fret work. I am located in the central part of Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I used to take my mandolin to John Hamlett but he is now in Kentucky. My mandolin is a Nuggett which is very expensive to ship and insure so I would like to find a new, good luthier to do this work. There's been one luthier not too far away who was recommended but he seems disinterested. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    If the New River Valley is within range, Ward Elliot is highly regarded.

I can vouch for Ward Elliott as an excellent luthier and repair and set-up guy.
    Up the valley, you have Bryce Instruments - David Houchens.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Vernon Hughes is in the Valley. I think he's been building?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

John did lots of good work for me before moving to the Bluegrass State. He recomended David Houchens, who lives just a few miles south of Charlottesville, and all the outcomes have been quite good. Both have been craftsmen for Stelling (also Kim Breedlove, Jeff Huss, Mark Dalton), where David still builds banjo necks part time.

David has his own shop and makes a good madolin. His guitars are becoming especially well known, which keeps him pretty busy, so i'm not sure how much new repair work he can take on. You can find his "Bryce Instruments" home page online.

Can recommend Ward Elliot, have had him do several jobs for me always with good results. Don't have personal experience with David Houchens, but a couple of my friends have and think he's one of the best. Ward would be a pretty good drive for you but if you decide call before you go. PM me if you need his no.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    John did lots of good work for me before moving to the Bluegrass State. He recomended David Houchens, who lives just a few miles south of Charlottesville, and all the outcomes have been quite good. Both have been craftsmen for Stelling (also Kim Breedlove, Jeff Huss, Mark Dalton), where David still builds banjo necks part time.

David has his own shop and makes a good madolin. His guitars are becoming especially well known, which keeps him pretty busy, so i'm not sure how much new repair work he can take on. You can find his "Bryce Instruments" home page online.
    I just met Dave Houchens, fantastic guy and luthier near Charlottesville Va. I played one of his own Bryce mandolin that he had just made and if it wasn't already spoken for I would have left with it myself. I saw a lot of his builds in progress, he also works on guitars and banjos. Highly recommend him if anyone in central Va looking to get work done.

i don't have phone #'s, but Doc Shelton has been a known reputable guitar builder near Edinburg since the 1970's. Also, in the Orange area, Bishop Stern is excellent for refretting.

David has done a lot of good work for me. He's earned a lot of business and it's not always and easy thing to get on his schedule. Glad you connected...a good man for sure. Nice mandolin, by the way.