Thread: Setting up a Fender FM60e

Default Setting up a Fender FM60e

I'm in the middle od setting up a Fender FM60E 5 string electric. What is the optimal string height for the low C string at the first fret? I'd like to get it as low as possible but don't want to screw up the nut. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Default Re: Setting up a Fender FM60e

I wouldn't obsess over the numbers at the first fret - just set it so it's "right", see: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician...nutaction.html

You will need a reasonable height at fret 12 for that string though - it'll be a big floppy string and it'll need some room to move.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your reply, Tavy. No matter what you do with that pesky C string leaves it a bit unruly it seems. I set it at .016 and left it there rather than mess around and end up with a buzzing open C. A light touch and it's fine, but a heavy hand causes it to go a bit sharp. Since no one other than you replied, I'm guessing there is no optimal height like the other four strings. Thanks again for replying. Ken

Blog Entries

I didn't answer because I don't have measurements to offer. I will say .016 at the first fret seems quite high. I think I'm more in the single digits, a few thousandths.

For 5-string I like the C quite heavy, .056. Not all strings so good this short at that gauge--when experimenting with singles from a local shop, back when, I found a D'Aquisto sounded terrible--the core was too thick.

Very good results from a heavy .056 stainless-steel-wound Ernie Ball on my 14" scale Ryder.

As to height at the nut, my technique is eyeballing the deflection, as I fret, comparing the nut-1st fret with the 1st-2nd fret deflection. Assuming the fretted note behaves fine, the deflection when going from unfretted to fretted should be close to that. I leave it a smidge higher.

I guess if one is used to high-tension double-course acoustic mandolin, the C will be unsatisfying. I find it behaves like the E on electric guitar when using typical light strings (.010-.046)--you can't just bang away, without distortion to cover it up. Instead, you treat it with respect and draw the tone out. The same should apply to electric mandolin.

I use what most would consider light-top, heavy-bottom gauges for the 5-string. .010, .014, .024, .040, .056, with the wound strings in stainless steel. Since gauge should increase by about a factor of 1.5 going down a 5th, a .040 needs a .056 to approximately match tension. My gauge set is roughly in this ratio between strings, going a bit heavy for D and A.

The heavy bottom means the pickups need an E-biased tilt to be evenly voiced across the strings.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post: