Thread: Sam Bush

Default Sam Bush

Sam Bush was in St. Louis last night at The Old Rock House. How amazing! He is such a fantastic talent and obviously loves performing. His band is over the top as well. The stars are again aligned tomorrow night in St. Louis. Sierra Hull is at the Sheldon Concert Hall. What a week to remember.
    I Definitely needed this giant cup of Cappuccino this morning to get me out the door to work.
    Bonnie
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2016 Taylor GS Mini Guitar
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

2. The following members say thank you to Bonniej for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Sam Bush

Sounds like wonderful opportunities and great fun to experience some good music - and you're supporting the artists by seeing them live as well. Better get some rest tonight, or day after tomorrow you'll need double the coffee.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Mark,
    I'm off work tomorrow so I'm going to a Jam Session after work. So that will be a double coffee or huge Mountain Dew tonight! I think I'll take a nap tomorrow afternoon before I head to the Sheldon to see Sierra.
    Bonnie
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

jealous, I don't see those kinds of artists making it to KC

[edit]
    Except apparently he was at knuckleheads on Feb 28th darn!

I missed Sam recently. I'm hoping to catch Noam Pikelny in a couple weeks, then the Boxcars are playing two shows near me soon.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

You be careful Ms. Bonnie. The fun police will be knocking on your door with a too much fun citation.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I don't see those kinds of artists making it to KC
    Really? That is surprising because I have wanted to go to the Folk Alliance thing down there the last couple of years but have not been able to due to work and other issues. There are a bunch of folks of that caliber at that show.

Getting back on topic, Sam came up here to Iowa last summer. I made a point to go see him at this little hippie festival out on a farm near my home. He came out afterward, chatted, joked around and signed cds. He was as much fun to talk with as he seems on stage.

I was lucky enough to see both Sam and Sierra on the same night at the Watermelon Park festival this past summer. One of the best concerts I have ever had the pleasure of attending. The next night was The David Grisman Sextet and O'Connor String Band, with Forest on mandolin, and Mark as well on Macedonia. This is about as good of a mandolin lineup as I could have dreamed of. Especially with Sam and Sierra.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

I saw Sam last night in Chicago. He played for three straight hours, no break. Awesome beginning to end. I've heard a lot of his music and seen videos but never seen him live. It blew me away how hard he plays. I kept waiting for the mandolin to explode! The other thing that stood out: his absolute joy in the music.
    Last edited by Mark Miller; Mar-03-2017 at 6:58pm.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    I saw Sam last night in Chicago. He played for three straight hours, no break. Awesome beginning to end...
    And that my friends for me is the preferred method to practice...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

12. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Really? That is surprising because I have wanted to go to the Folk Alliance thing down there the last couple of years but have not been able to due to work and other issues. There are a bunch of folks of that caliber at that show.

Getting back on topic, Sam came up here to Iowa last summer. I made a point to go see him at this little hippie festival out on a farm near my home. He came out afterward, chatted, joked around and signed cds. He was as much fun to talk with as he seems on stage.
    Folk Alliance, Yea I saw something about that last year but don't recall any big name mando players. Maybe I need to pay more attention -- as I clearly missed Sam Bush a week ago at Knuckleheads

From Nick - "And that my friends for me is the preferred method to practice... ". There's nothing to touch it Nick !!. Years back when our UK festivals were a bit more of an 'event' for pickers,playing from sun-up to sundown was pretty normal - even then,some of us would keep going until it was almost sun-up again !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mark,
    I know what you mean. He is so obviously happy. The audience adored him and there were all ages. He has a ton of admirers in this area. Sierra was amazing as well last night at the Sheldon. Her performance reminded me of the Bela Fleck concert I was at years ago-not surprising that he produced her last album. The bass player Ethan was awesome as well.
    I think they both had similar Fender Mandocasters. Cool little instrument. I may need one of those too! Oh no, here I go again. My husband liked it too though so it's on my radar. What a fun week I've had.
    Bonnie
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    jealous, I don't see those kinds of artists making it to KC

[edit]
    Except apparently he was at knuckleheads on Feb 28th darn!
    Yes, Sam was at Knuckleheads and put on a great show in their new "Garage". Got to shake his hand before the show, then had front row seats!