Thread: Tiny's amp?

Default Tiny's amp?

Question from a client:

"I gather that you are a Tiny Moore aficionado. Do you know what type of amplifier he used after the Magnatone era?"

Big ol' shrug from me. Can anyone help?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Tiny's amp?

I think it was one of these??

I'd sure like to know what he used on "Back to Back"...
    The artwork seems to be pretty anatomically correct, so maybe we can tell from this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	154217  

I think when Tiny was on the road with Merle Haggard he played through a Peavey amp..A look at the Austin City Limits mando special could show a "Back to Back" era amp as well. I would think early on, with Wills, it may have been a Fender..Eldon on a Strat, Johnny with a pickup wound by Leo himself, etc.

I know Bob Wills was a Fender guy, so that is my bet as well when he was with Wills. Tiny owned a music store in Sacramento so my guess is he had access to LOTSA amps.

If he would have had an EH185, that would have been a very cool combination.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I'm wondering if the chronology is jumbled. The EH-185 was discontinued sometime between 1942 and 1945, and Magnatone as a brand name didn't exist before 1947. He could have used an EH-185 after a Magnatone, but it would have been an old amp already.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

6. The following members say thank you to nmiller for this post:

I believe Tiny was using a Peavy the times I played music with him. He was pretty frustrated
    in finding a small powerful jazz amp. I suggested Polytone which is what I use, and Johnny Gimble
    also used.

When I was a kid I played quite a bit with Tiny. At that time he used a Peavey and also used a battery operated Pignose amp on small gigs. He would carry the Pignose around and play in campground jam sessions, parking lots, etc. It ate batteries like crazy! With the Texas Playboys I think he used a Gibson EH-150 and/or an EH-185, and later I think they all mainly used tweed Fender Deluxes, and then got into Twins, Supers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey McKenzie View Post
    With the Texas Playboys I think he used a Gibson EH-150 and/or an EH-185, and later I think they all mainly used tweed Fender Deluxes, and then got into Twins, Supers, etc.
    There are lots of pics of Will's bands from the 50's and the amps often look like tweed Deluxes.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    There are lots of pics of Will's bands from the 50's and the amps often look like tweed Deluxes.
    My guess (some Wills band photos from the 50's): Fender Pro amps, 15" speakers, tweed cabinets. Early 50s pictures may show the "TV Front" styling with more rounded corners around speaker, octal preamp tubes. Mid to late 50s pictures look to me like later model Pros: Cabinet front has more square/angular styling, and tubes and circuitry may have changed some. Great amps for steel guitar and everything else.

Just my best guess based on posts on steel guitar forums.

But that might be just before the "Magnatone era" referenced in the original post. (I've read that Magnatone outfitted the Billy Jack Wills band with Magnatone amps as a promotion, and that Tiny Moore and Vance Terry used the Magnatone 'Triplex' in that band... mid 50s or later?)
    Last edited by Andrew L.; Mar-29-2017 at 1:57pm. Reason: Clarify relevance to initial post.

Tiny would sound great through any amp...
    Hell, even Peaveys...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Sorry to be late to this thread. In the late 1970's Tiny used a Randall amp. I don't recall which model. Don Randall, the founder of that company, had a long history with Fender. The Randall amps as I recall were basically variations of classic Fender amps.
    Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Tiny would sound great through any amp...
    Hell, even Peaveys...
    Hey now, keep the dump-on-Peavey snarkiness over at TGP where it belongs...we play nicer at the Cafe. If you don't, I might have to hit you with some PC30 ice-pick highs.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Vacuum Tubes Ruled, Back then..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture