Thread: Mangan monel strings

Default Mangan monel strings

Well, I had a set of the Mangan monel mandolin strings, and since Martin apparently will NEVER release Retro mandolin strings, I tried them out on the Kimble A5. So far, I'm liking them a lot. Not brassy or overly bright. Great punchy chop and focused bass and mids. Haven't had it on a mic yet, but I suspect it will record beautifully with these.

Not a convert yet. Need to try the new D'Adarrio NBs (which sounded good on my Ellis). But so far, I'm pretty impressed. Anyone else have similar/different experiences? I was also highly impressed with the quality of the strings and the packaging.

2. The following members say thank you to mcgroup53 for this post:

Astro 

Default Re: Mangan monel strings

Sidetrack: I tried the Martin Retro guitar strings ("monel") on my old harmony guitar. I'm plus-minus on them. At first they seemed too dull. But now after 2 weeks I'm liking them a little better. That would be neat to try on a mando. I'd think they would calm down a bright one.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I've got a set in the queue, and my main mando is about due for a change, so I may have feedback on them in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Sidetrack: I tried the Martin Retro guitar strings ("monel") on my old harmony guitar. I'm plus-minus on them. At first they seemed too dull. But now after 2 weeks I'm liking them a little better. That would be neat to try on a mando. I'd think they would calm down a bright one.
    I've got a set of the Mangan Monels on my Seagull, it's been a few weeks now and I don't think they're right for that guitar--but it's also the first set of mediums I've used on it. I think your assessment may be correct regarding calming a bright tone.

I had a set on my Northfield for a few weeks. Really liked them right off the bat, clean and powerful, very fundamental, no jangle or harsh overtones. But, after 2 or 3 weeks, I thought they were starting to sound dull and dead. I changed them out for the Mangan PB mediums, a string I keep going back to. I have another set, and I imagine I'll give them another spin in the future but, honestly, I was hoping for more than 3 weeks.

On the guitar side, I tried a set of the D'Adarrio NB's and really liked them, but once again, they started sounding lifeless sooner than I liked. I just switched them out to a set of Martin Retro Tony Rice Monel's, and I'm absolutely loving them. Hopefully I'll get some life out of them, but even if I don't, I think I'll buy a stockpile and stick with them for a while. They seem to give my guitar ( an OM made by friend) a lot of clean punch, while taming the overtones. It really seems to bring a lot of focus to the tone of my particular guitar.
    Mitch Russell

If you want to try a great guitar string try the white bronze from GHS. They are not as bright as phosphor bronze when first put on, but after the phosphor bronze are getting too dull, these are holding great. They are also magnetic so can be used with a sound hole magnetic pickup. I have been taking the ball ends off and putting them on my mandolin too, they are a great string.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Have a question, where would one buy these mangan monel bluegrass mandolin strings. Couldn't bring their website up and our string suppliers don't list them. Thanks

That's odd. I got them from Mangan directly, via the website.
    Mitch Russell

The monel strings are at the bottom of this page.

http://www.curtmangan.com/mandolin/

I get a couple months out of the Mangan phosphor bronze. I have NB strings on now. We'll see how long they last.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I have been using the Mangan monel mediums for over two months and I like them a lot. They have an old school sound heavy on the mid range with lots of volume. They show no signs of wear and are more user friendly gauged (11-15-26-40) than the Gibson monels (no need to swap out that 14 A string). I think they sound a lot like the D'Addario nickel bronze mediums, which I also liked when I tried them last summer. If you liked the Gibson monels, you may like the Mangan version. I bought mine directly from the company via their website.
    Last edited by Andy B; Feb-23-2017 at 11:03pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

I played the entire summer on a set of NB guitar strings, which included quite a few out door gigs.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I agree 100% about theMartin Retros. They're on my D-28 Authentic right now and I love them. That's why I'm so angry no one at Martin will poull the trigger and introduce them as mandolin strings. I don't get it, it's a simple switch. But the Mangans are working fine. I'll try their monel guitar strings at some point

With the monel medium on my Weber, I am as happy as can be. First impressions were not spectacular, but since they were on for an hour or two, I really like them. I hope, they will last as long as the Gibson "Sam Bush"

I use Martin Retros on my D-18 and 00-15 (mediums and lights respectively), and I love them on each of those guitars. So, a couple months ago, I picked up some of the Mangan Monel Mediums for the Pava. I love the tone. My only complaint so far is that the A string isn't quite as strong as the others with these strings. (They seemed more even with the GHS Mediums with a .016 A string) I think it might be the .015 string with the Mangans. I may try swapping the A strings out for a .016 and see if that does the trick.

18. The following members say thank you to jljohn for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I am a fan of CM strings. Next string order I'll give these a try. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have the CM monels on your Weber Absaroka about 2 months now. Very crisp sound, not too brassy when first installed. The G string is beginning to dull out, while the rest of the set is fine. This may be a function of the mandolin, as this is the same behavior as other strings. Overall I like them quite a bit.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
    I use Martin Retros on my D-18 and 00-15 (mediums and lights respectively), and I love them on each of those guitars. So, a couple months ago, I picked up some of the Mangan Monel Mediums for the Pava. I love the tone. My only complaint so far is that the A string isn't quite as strong as the others with these strings. (They seemed more even with the GHS Mediums with a .016 A string) I think it might be the .015 string with the Mangans. I may try swapping the A strings out for a .016 and see if that does the trick.
    I put the .016's on the Pava, and it did the trick. I love this strings with that one substitution.

And now GHS has picked up the slack where Martin Strings refused to issue Retro (monel) mandolin strings. Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    And now GHS has picked up the slack where Martin Strings refused to issue Retro (monel) mandolin strings. Well played!
    I went from GHS Silk and Bronze to Mangan Monel and liked both, for different reasons. I just pulled the Mangan's off after several months of use, and I really liked them. Sort of very traditional sounding but a nice brightness. I did miss the 16 on the A string though (which GHS makes standard).

Just put on a set of med-heavy NB's, which are another string I like. Guess I'll try the GHS Nickels next. We're in the golden age of mandolin strings!

24. The following members say thank you to Prelude for this post:

I tried to buy the cm monels from strings and beyond with my last order but they weren't in stock at that point... Just switched from ghs silk n steel to the ghs nickels, on my Weber Elite, it has a cedar top, so a pretty bright pop. I think the nickels have a little more bite than the silknsteels, A slight bright brassy edge reminiscent of the regular phos/bronze. I'm rotating back to EFT74s next to see which is best for my situation. I need a string that is sweet enough for parlor picking, plus bold enough for a weekly group community jam, and playing in a rocker-sockem Bluegrass band with a banjo and an awesome d28. It's like trying to have only one golf club!

BTW has anyone else noticed that the EFT 74s have a bronzed A string? Why only on that set? It's been a few months since I ran one of those sets, but I remember it did have a rich A string.

On another note, has anyone strung up mixed sets(one g phos/bronze, one g monel)? What happens when you blend sets? Might be a lengthy and costly experiment...
    Last edited by MontanaMatt; Apr-16-2017 at 12:25am.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    I don't see a GHS monel...do you mean the nickels? They are nice...I will compare them to CM monels in a few changes...
    So many more choices now than phos-bronze. I don't think I'm changing strings more often, just spreading my money between three or four brands now, none of which are Martin anymore.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I just discover Mangan Monel mando strings. As I usually use Mangan Phosphor Bronze on my Collings oval mandolin, I ordered one more set in Monel to use it on my Gibson 1923 Blackface Snakehead . And believe me ( or not ) , this old Loar lady never sounds so good ! And I have tried about 10 different sets of different brands , today next time I order Mangan Strings, it will be Monel and Phosphor Bronze for my 2 mandolins.

I don't see a GHS monel...do you mean the nickels?

Yes I think that is what is referred to the nickels, I have put them on 3 mandolins and they sound great on all three. One oval Gibson, and two ff hole's.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by claude.meyer View Post
    I just discover Mangan Monel mando strings. As I usually use Mangan Phosphor Bronze on my Collings oval mandolin, I ordered one more set in Monel to use it on my Gibson 1923 Blackface Snakehead . And believe me ( or not ) , this old Loar lady never sounds so good ! And I have tried about 10 different sets of different brands , today next time I order Mangan Strings, it will be Monel and Phosphor Bronze for my 2 mandolins.
    Thanks for the report. I have my 1924 Blackface Snakehead set up with Gibson Sam Bush monels and love the tone. Since they're getting harder to find, and have a wimpy A string, I've been thinking of jumping to the Mangan set next.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    I have been using the Mangan monel mediums for over two months and I like them a lot. They have an old school sound heavy on the mid range with lots of volume.
    I've been trying out a set for the last week with same thoughts. Lots of mid range volume. Not overly bright. Nice but different tone.

I thought they sounded a little meh with my normal 1.4mm pick. I dropped back to 1.0mm pick and found it a great combo. Plenty loud with good tone - not thin or bright - maybe what I've been looking for. Tremolo to me sounds louder on these strings with the thinner pick. Thx for the recommendation to try'em