Thread: Crafters Mandolin????

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Question Crafters Mandolin????

Does anyone own a Crafters mandolin? Or does anyone had experience with an entry level acoustic/electric with an Ovation style plastic back mandolin with a non-adjustable bridge?

Look forward to your responses.

Default Re: Crafters Mandolin????

I play the entry level Ovation. It's not a typical bluegrass look or sound, but I like it and it feels good to play. Sounds really good plugged in. I'm not that great of a player.... just over a year, but you can check out my Youtube page for how the instrument sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TLMN8R

I've tried the Crafter at a local music store. I wasn't particularly impressed, but then again I don't like Ovation mandolins (or Ovation guitars) either. YMMV, but I'd recommend checking one out in person before you buy, if that's at all feasible.
    EdSherry

I once had one and had a lot of trouble with the bridge coming up - it happened three times despite my luthier's best efforts! I remember the neck was pretty chunky and the nut width small which is great, of course, if that's your preference.
    Andrew Lewis
    Collings MT2, Tone Gard, Tortis Style C heavy, bootlace strap, J74s

You might take a walk through these threads. You'll have to do some digging but there are some discussions of Crafter mandolins. Check out those with subject lines that contain Crafter first.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

i own a M-70 with a bubinga top - i've been trying to give it away for months and months. no one in my son's band(s) wants it; our carpenter, with a less than full compliment of fingers on his right hand - who used to play guitar and misses playing like crazy - even he wants to give it back.

it was the first mandolin i ever owned and at first, i loved it. it looks great ... but it's heavy; it doesn't project well at all and i think the bridge is slightly in the wrong place or the frets up the neck aren't placed properly ... either way, there are sharps and flats galore.

i checked out mando lynn's videos and her ovation sounds much better - even my epiphone mm-30 "beater" sounds better.

i also have - rare, this - a custom built case for it (there are several brands using the design) that weighs an absolute ton.

my advice would be to walk on by ... i even wrote a haiku:

sniffing my crafter's
    carbon composite sound hole
    - gibson sweet it ain't

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Crafters Mandolin????

Thank you for your replies

I was looking for a traveling beater as I have a very nice KM 172 that I don't like taking it to outdoor sessions. I saw a Crafter acoustic/electric mandolin in a local shop but after playing it, I had the same poor impression of the instrument.

Perhaps an inexpensive used Johnson or Rogue will fill my beater needs. Or just wait until my KM 172 gets its first ding and don't worry about it.

My husband had a Crafter mandolin when we first met. It was dreadful. If you want a cheap mandolin there are way better stuff to find out there.

it's baaaaack ...

my carpenter friend returned my crafter this afternoon ... what am i going to do with it?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Paddle a canoe?

Seriously though, I played an Ovation for ten years as my main mando and loved every minute of it. They are definitely NOT for everyone, and are a serious 'try-before-you-buy' proposition. Never played a Crafter, but I can only imagine that they fall into the same category.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Here's what happened to mine after I'd had it about six weeks:

It was a pity as it didn't sound too bad when plugged in. Luckily I was able to get a full refund which went towards my first proper mandolin,

I'm gonna join in the Crafter bashing...they're horrible things. Definately go on the hunt for something else....for the good of mankind and your sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor and Tenor View Post
    Does anyone own a Crafters mandolin? Or does anyone had experience with an entry level acoustic/electric with an Ovation style plastic back mandolin with a non-adjustable bridge?

Look forward to your responses.
    I know this thread is old but I thought I'd add my twopence worth... as everyone else it seems doesn't like them.

I love them and have two now. They are now priced at almost the same as their guitars - almost four times what they cost when I bought my first(2002). To be fair they have a distinctive sound which I like. Joe Ross demonstrates the difference well between his scroll and Crafter on YouTube. Recently a pro musician had a play with mine and quite liked it too. The purist wouldn't and would like their bowlback or flat A style (Portuguese I think my one is - unmarked but exceptionally well finished). My scroll with F sound holes is poor by comparison... but looks good! I like modern instruments and one that doesn't suffer hairline cracks is a plus.

At least one knows where a Crafter comes from. Other makes Ozark, Fender, Encore, Aria - and any one cares to name could be made in China or anywhere (not that it matters if the instrument is made well which many Chinese are now and getting better all the time). With all instruments you get what you pay for - fancy inlay and looks are not to my liking. Something rugged and well built - with fair sound for the money. All instruments are made to a price. My A style wouldn't stand up to a lot of knocks and transportation but is definitely the best according to a pro I know. For everyday playing the Crafter takes some beating. The later 85 model I don't think is as good as the 70.

Love them or loathe them but at £400 they are now one of the mid priced models readily available and well worth it. I can take it anywhere and she's rugged - my A style I keep for home only.
    Last edited by jessejazza; Feb-26-2017 at 4:07am.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    it's baaaaack ...

my carpenter friend returned my crafter this afternoon ... what am i going to do with it?
    There's a thread somewhere on the forum about making a lamp out of a mandolin...
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I had one of their guitars. Had. It sucked.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by jessejazza View Post
    I know this thread is old but I thought I'd add my twopence worth... as everyone else it seems doesn't like them.

I love them and have two now. They are now priced at almost the same as their guitars - almost four times what they cost when I bought my first(2002). To be fair they have a distinctive sound which I like. Joe Ross demonstrates the difference well between his scroll and Crafter on YouTube. Recently a pro musician had a play with mine and quite liked it too. The purist wouldn't and would like their bowlback or flat A style (Portuguese I think my one is - unmarked but exceptionally well finished). My scroll with F sound holes is poor by comparison... but looks good! I like modern instruments and one that doesn't suffer hairline cracks is a plus.

At least one knows where a Crafter comes from. Other makes Ozark, Fender, Encore, Aria - and any one cares to name could be made in China or anywhere (not that it matters if the instrument is made well which many Chinese are now and getting better all the time). With all instruments you get what you pay for - fancy inlay and looks are not to my liking. Something rugged and well built - with fair sound for the money. All instruments are made to a price. My A style wouldn't stand up to a lot of knocks and transportation but is definitely the best according to a pro I know. For everyday playing the Crafter takes some beating. The later 85 model I don't think is as good as the 70.

Love them or loathe them but at £400 they are now one of the mid priced models readily available and well worth it. I can take it anywhere and she's rugged - my A style I keep for home only.
    If you like yours, that's all that matters. I say play them in good health and enjoy them. My closest friend once had a Crafter guitar, one of those hybrid models based on the Taylor T5. It was a cool guitar.