Thread: Tennis elbow

Default Tennis elbow

Tennis elbow in my right arm. Got it from splitting and stacking firewood. I'm getting some ultra sound therapy. I'm still playing...not sure if that's keeping it from healing. I don't want to stop playing.
    Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Bob
    re simmers

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tennis wlbow

Heat with gas.
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope it heals well for you. Soft tissue injuries can take a long time to mend.
    I don't know if it is the same as tennis elbow, but I had pain in my forearm when a would grip anything firmly. I used a velcro/elastic band just below the elbow and it helped. They can be found at any pharmacy.

BJ

Default Re: Tennis wlbow

I had that and was told for ten months, tennis elbow. Went to a Good Chiropractor and he said immediately "oh you have a rib out" popped the back rib in place, pain was gone and never came back. Maybe not what you have, but worth a shot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Default Re: Tennis elbow

I've had it in both arms the tennis elbow band described by BJ will (should ) help as will time rest and massage.......
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Tendonitis. Ugh! I have it bad in my right elbow. I generally just ignore it or I wouldn't be able to shovel snow, move wood, carry groceries, or open jars. (Actually, I asked my wife to open the last recalcitrant jar. Humbling!)

Worse for playing guit and mando is tendonitis in my right forefinger. I've had it three or four times, and it can take a couple of years to go away and makes playing a big drag. I've actually begun playing squareneck reso to give my joints a break!

I have pain in my arm that is most likely tendonitis, the pain I referred to earlier is right in the elbow itself. It was not what they call tennis elbow, but a back rib out of place. The strap on the forearm helps for the pain in the muscle of my forearm, but wouldn't have done a thing for the other.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

When you do play, make sure the elbow rests vertically from your shoulder, gently touching your side. Don't reach around the mandolin to play which puts the muscles in the upper arm under tension, with resulting tension on the tendons. Keep the left one relaxed too, with the mandolin neck well away from your body so that the mandolin sits as part of a triangle as you look down. That way your right hand only has to be brought across a minimum amount to put it in a good picking position and stays as relaxed as possible.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

8. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

you could try gripping pick with index and middle finger, i think that results in a secure but more relaxed grip. Monster grip or sandpaper also: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Grips.../dp/B00JER27MO

The velcro band below elbow helps, and also when i'm lifting a box, i feel the tennis elbow when the grip is at the last knuckles, rather than in the palm, i.e. 2nd picture, the sloper grip, which always gave me problems climbing and flared up tennis elbow: https://skyaboveus.com/climbing-hiki...-Rock-Climbing
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

My doctor gave ne a cortizone injection and a week later it was gone. It's never been back.

Meanwhile, try to use your "good" arm for tasks such as opening doors.

Good advise from Eoin. Find a position that doesn't hurt your elbow.
    Use ice. Put an ice pack on your elbow for ten minutes every couple of hours. Do this up to five times daily for a couple of days.
    Then start reducing the number of times you put ice on per day for the rest of the week. At night you can use an anti-inflammatory gel or cream. That should do it.
    I had tennis elbow, golfer elbow, whatever elbow you can think of when I was pumping iron (heavy weights). I was even told once that this could get chronic. The ice pack did the trick for me.
    Wish you a speedy recovery.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

I had the same problem several times-- from grabbing the end of the piece of wood off the splitter, and flinging it to the pile. Takes a LONG time to go away--- and the tight band on the forearm really works,

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)can make a big difference. These would include Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Aleve (Naproxen). Check with your doctor to make sure you can take them safely,considering other drugs you may take, and other health conditions eg stomach ulcers. Assuming he/she gives you the OK, take them as directed around the clock until the pain subsides. Don't just take them when the elbow gets bad- you need to keep up a consistent blood level.
    Are you sure it's tennis elbow*? There are other conditions such as displaced tendons that can mimic it. The usual advice applies-- get it checked out by a Doc if it doesn't get better pretty soon.
    *One of my favorite jokes involves tennis elbow, but it's not suitable for a family oriented forum ;-)
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Thanks for some good info. This started a year ago. Got a cortisone shot and pain eventually went away. It started again in December; don't know what triggered it. Trying to avoid another shot - long term side effects! I am using the band on my forearm. I take Advil. I use ice regularly. I now text with left hand and use left mouse. This is tough!!!

A good physiotherapist should be able to help, with deep tissue massage to help break down scar tissue and keep things moving. They'll also prescribe stretches that can help to keep things moving.

Do bear in mind that tendons are different to muscles, so make sure you don't overdo it.

I used a rubber bar called a "theraband" in conjunction the other good advice here. A quick search on Amazon will bring up the Theraband choices. I started with the softest version and then progressed to the medium. Let it rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theraband.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	154056
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have this book. Shows stretching exercises for the whole body.

https://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30...ok+by+anderson

I had tennis elbow in both arms. Really bad in the right arm. The immediate cause moving foundation stones from an old barn for making a firepit, and then a reinjury from chainsaw vibration when I thought it was getting better. I got no help from the doctor, although we didn't try the cortizone injection.

What did help me was therapeutic massage. I had to be talked into it, but a friend used to visit a masseuse who worked out of a local tennis club, and the masseuse was convinced he could help. And he did! It took 5 or 6 weekly sessions, and he worked on both arms from fingers to shoulder. The massage therapy was really effective for me, but it does hurt quite a bit when it's being done; they really dig in.

This was the only massage I've ever gotten, so I can't compare it to anything, but it worked for me.

I also have used the theraband and stretches that the masseuse taught me, but all I can say is I have not had a re-occurrence.

19. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

Jim_G 

I had to deal with it about 2 years ago. For a couple of months I did my best to rest it, hardly played. Didn't help and I finally went to my doctor. He diagnosed it in about 5 seconds and referred me to a rehab center. I did twice a week sessions there, and religiously did all the stretching and lifting exercises I was given. I also went onto Amazon and picked up a couple of those Theraband twizzle sticks and used those 2-3 times a day too. And in about 2 months I was as good as new.

A couple of things worth noting - rest doesn't help one bit, so you may as well keep playing. You won't make it any worse. And two, don't go for any cortizone shots. Everything I've heard, including talking to a local Berklee Guitar player who did that, is you get quick relief. And a month later you're worse off than when you started. That guy also tried the therabands and said they didn't work for him, but I'm not sure he used them 2-3 times a day, every day, for an extended period. Got to do the work consistently and be patient. Bit like trying to get a half decent tremelo down I guess.

Edit: I just noticed A4's advice. Dead on. My rehab sessions did include massage and some sonar treatments. And A4 you did the right thing skipping cortisone shots. I'm glad my Primary was reluctant to go there, I didn't know any better at the time. After 2 weeks of therapy I wasn't seeing any drastic changes and thought about getting them. Then I started researching.

I think everyone responds a bit different to various remedies to this. My right arm bout lasted over 2 years ( I'm sure you didn't want to hear that-ha ha). In chronological order here's what worked and didn't - all Dr directed:
    rest-didn't work
    Ice- didn't work
    Antinflamitories-didn't work
    Cortisone- didn't work
    Prolotherapy-didn't work also really really painful
    Acupuncture-didn't work
    Forearm band, stretching and self massage finally cleared it up in about 6 weeks

Perhaps it all had some healing affect, not sure. Tendons, I am told do not have much blood flow, so once inflamed, take a long time to heal. Somewhere in the above process was an MRI that revealed that there was a small partial tear. Surgery was not recommended. Good luck with it. Sure isn't a fun thing to have.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Yep, 2 years for me too.
    I got bad tennis elbow from a dumb ball thrower for dog. Just touching area resulted in extreme pain. Therapy almost felt like it was making it worse or not helping. Finally got the cortisone shot. Miracle. It helped me through the therapy and stretching. About 6 months later the cortisone wore off, my elbow still hurt but was much better. another year of normal use it finally feels 98% back to normal. I've also had golfers elbow where the pain is on the inside part of arm.

I agree that the velcro strap with the pressure pad has been an absolute music saver! I can play mandolin for about 15 minutes without it and 2-3 hours with it. I also got great help from acupuncture, back when I was having major flare-ups that required Advil and ice.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Lots of good advice here. I'm trying most of it. I appreciate the feedback.

Bob

Thank you for the suggestion of the forearm band/strap. It has made a huge difference!
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5