Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grammys!

Blog Entries

Default Grammys!

Winners are trickling in!

Sarah Jarosz just took Best American Roots song, "House of Mercy" from Undercurrent
    O'Connor Family band for Best Bluegrass Album
    Best Folk Album goes to Sarah Jarosz for Undercurrent

OK, that may be it for the Cafe's extensive Grammy coverage from our bunker in Lawrence, Kansas! We're wearing a tuxedo. No lie! No shoes, but a tux.

Pretty cool to see a forum member and guy posting instruments on the Classifieds (Forrest O.) accepting a Grammy.

Loved everyone in the Best Folk Album category, a tough competition. Big congrats to Sarah!
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-12-2017 at 6:09pm.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grammys!

Posted by Rounder on social media just now.

Name:  C4gBj2qUcAAMZh1.jpg large.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  89.3 KB

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Name:  C4gB4CjVYAAnGLO.jpg large.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  98.1 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Name:  C4gCjpPVYAAyxOI.jpg large.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  87.2 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I just watched the YouTube clips of the O'Connor band on YouTube & as terrific as they were & i DID like them very much indeed 'for what they are' - however - it's not Bluegrass 'again' !!. So why 'best Bluegrass album' ??. Are the folk who make these awards so unimaginitive that they can't place this sort of music in an appropriate category ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I just watched the YouTube clips of the O'Connor band on YouTube & as terrific as they were & i DID like them very much indeed 'for what they are' - however - it's not Bluegrass 'again' !!. So why 'best Bluegrass album' ??. Are the folk who make these awards so unimaginitive that they can't place this sort of music in an appropriate category ?,
    Ivan
    Funny thing, I knew what this post was about before I even read it! "Congrats guys on your Grammy. Just so you know, that ain't the bluegrass so just give it back. "

Broken record every year.

From above - "Broken record every year " - Yep,& they keep on doing it. Some of us at least know '.... from Shinola'. It seems that the folks who decide on the grammy awards have yet to discover the difference. I've been playing & listening to Bluegrass music for 53 years & no music like that has ever been called Bluegrass until recent years. Even AKUS quit calling themselves a Bluegrass band years back, & they at least have a banjo player.

Nobody,least of all me is saying that style of music isn't good,i personally like it very much,but that doesn't make it Bluegrass to me & never will. Put it in some other category,it'll be just as good !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I was disappointed with that choice for the Bluegrass Grammy. I believe all the musicians in Mark O'Connor's family band are more than excellent, and the live clips I have seen of them I liked. But I bought the CD in anticipation of a great recording, and to be honest - I was bored with it. Just not compelling music - very produced sound, almost too clean and tidy. Sterile was the word when I was listening to it. I haven't listened to it for months now. Others in that category were more deserving, IMO.

Do the Grammys just keep honoring the same people?

Congrats to Sarah Jarosz! That girl has IT, and she's a wonderful and inventive musician.
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Ah yes....the question that never goes away......"What is bluegrass".......now in my time "What is THE BLUEGRASS MUSIC" as Bill used to say....
    Used to be Sam Bush was the "enemy".....New Grass ain't grass.....and so on and so on....

I am old school.....just plain old period and my definition is first generation oriented....but I am impressed with what I will call the new acoustic music.....Is it The Bluegrass Music??......well not by my definition but time goes on and at least it is acoustic and well played

Carry on and change is the one constant....

A quote from Grammy.org on the selection process for nominees:

"Screening: Reviewing sessions by more than 350 experts in various fields are held to ensure that entered recordings meet specific qualifications and have been placed in appropriate fields such as Rock, R&B, Jazz, Country, Gospel, New Age, Rap, Classical and Latin, among others. The purpose of screenings is not to make artistic or technical judgments about the recordings, but rather to make sure that each entry is eligible and placed in its proper category."

Who knows who their 350 experts are but I'm guessing they aren't calling 350 folks that know much about bluegrass.
    Most folks outside of the hardcore community would consider a whole lot of things bluegrass that 'we' might not depending on the instrumentation.

Until they add me to the list of 350 experts, I suppose my opinion is irrelevant. Congrats to all the great musicians on their accomplishment in the category of MUSIC, whatever it gets called.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    A quote from Grammy.org on the selection process for nominees:

"Screening: Reviewing sessions by more than 350 experts in various fields are held to ensure that entered recordings meet specific qualifications and have been placed in appropriate fields such as Rock, R&B, Jazz, Country, Gospel, New Age, Rap, Classical and Latin, among others. The purpose of screenings is not to make artistic or technical judgments about the recordings, but rather to make sure that each entry is eligible and placed in its proper category."

Who knows who their 350 experts are but I'm guessing they aren't calling 350 folks that know much about bluegrass.
    Most folks outside of the hardcore community would consider a whole lot of things bluegrass that 'we' might not depending on the instrumentation.

Until they add me to the list of 350 experts, I suppose my opinion is irrelevant. Congrats to all the great musicians on their accomplishment in the category of MUSIC, whatever it gets called.
    Thanks for posting that information Drew.

I was just thinking along those same lines. While there is obvious frustration in the 'Bluegrass' community over this 'categorizing' (or miss-categorizing) issue, it must be equally as frustrating for those charged with doing the categorizing.

If I were among the 350, I could give my input as to what it is not, but I'd have no idea as to what it is. Not at all implying that it's bad...it's good! It's just tough to put it into a category that keeps everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Ivan
    <Inappropriate. Violates forum posting guidelines>

-Topics started for or end up being used to discuss religion, politics or sex as well as other hot button issues meant to create discord are prohibited. Posts or threads deemed inappropriate or unrelated to our subject matter are subject to immediate removal at the discretion of the forum owner and/or lead moderator.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-13-2017 at 12:43pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

21. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Spruce 

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats to all the winners!

Best Regards and Fortune to all, regardless of genre preferences for labeling.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

23. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Congratulations! Pretty cool that I got to see another Grammy winner last fall. Thanks for a great show in Charlotte, Sarah. No, I wasn't the guy in the audience who screamed, "I love you, Sarah!!" after every song, but I enjoyed the show very much nonetheless!
    Chuck

Guess it was not worth Prime Air Time on CBS, so a private award ceremony, , essentially..

a few months back, I saw a episode of 'How It's Made' on the Science channel , topic was:

Making the Grammy Trophies..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Sarah's a great musician, no complaint about her, but - trust the Grammys to give Best Folk to an album with no folk music. Think of all the folk talent they sent begging.

Now I feel famous: a few years ago I put a Dobro track on Kate Lee's When You Dream, which she wrote for the Granting Dreams Foundation. She's from Fairport NY, I think, just outside Rochester, and the recording was made at a suburban Rochester studio. Kate, of course, is in the Grammy-winning O'Connor Band, singing and playing fiddle. My brush with greatness (or at least with momentary fame)...

You can catch just a snippet of my Dobro at the beginning of this explanatory vid:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

28. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I agree it's not grass. But the reason for this award stuff is to promote the genres of music...not just the specific winner. Since grass gets a little recognition at the Grammys I'll just say congrats to Mark & family, and thanks to the voters. The last thing the full time grassers need is to be labeled as complainers about Grammy geeks not voting for real grass.
    Again, I agree it's not grass.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Guess it was not worth Prime Air Time on CBS, so a private award ceremony, , essentially.
    I don't know about that; I don't watch these things any more (and am glad I didn't watch this one) but I am glad that several favorites got awards. I saw Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, and the O'Connor family in concerts last year, so there's at least three winners I got to see.

Such BS;
    "The Earls of Leicester"
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

The great thing about awards shows is they are just someone's opinion at one point in time--whether it is an individual or a group.
    So they are cool if you win (Or your favorites win) & if you (or they) don't then--well just somebody else's opinion.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Gaga with Metallica (despite the mic glitches) was awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Gaga with Metallica (despite the mic glitches) was awesome!!!
    Gaga is awesome. The best version of the National Anthem I've heard was her singing to open a NASCAR race. Lets hope she makes a bluegrass album.

Genre's continue to evolve and then a new branch(s) emerge; it's not static. There are clear connections between today's groups and those of yesteryear; whether chord structure, musical form, instrument choice, repertoire, song topic, or region. Both Sarah and Sierra have strong roots in Bluegrass, but studied in Boston and learned classical, jazz, and expanded their comfort zones. Those influences are now found in their work... and to me, it doesn't make them any less connected to Bluegrass.