Thread: New to Bouzoukis!

Default New to Bouzoukis!

So I’m planning on purchasing a new Irish bouzouki. I normally play traditional Irish/Newfoundland music as well as country.

I currently play guitar, banjo and mandolin.
    I’m looking at investing around 1-1,500 CAD into a new bouzouki. Any suggestions on makes/models for a ‘new’ player ?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: New to Bouzoukis!

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGritty View Post
    Any suggestions on makes/models for a ‘new’ player ?
    I’d wonder if Lawrence Nyberg could build you one of his flattop bouzoukis within your budget.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/133217#133217
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Lots of great choices out there but here's one to consider:
    https://reverb.com/item/17938546-jim...tenor-bouzouki
    NFI
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Here's a few more names that I would consider high quality AND in your price range. (Nybergs look amazing but the flat top bouzouki starts at 3600 CAD)
    Petersen (used only, he no longer builds)
    Moon
    Sawychyn Beavertail Bouzouki ANB 84
    Red Valley Bouzouki
    Hathaway
    Flatiron

Many of these are just above your price range but might be found used. You will need to figure out what you absolutely need. Sometimes Octave mandolins are a bit cheaper. Some inhabit that 23-24 inch scale that are sort of between octave mandolin and bouzouki but might offer a nice mix.

Good hunting!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

5. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

If you want a new instrument this won’t do it, but if maybe not, this is currently in the classifieds:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/133557#133557

They’re quite well thought of.

Thanks guys! Couple questions..
    Is their any reason to buy a moon over a flat iron or the other way around?

Also, do you think it’s been to invest in a great quality build that is used vs a brand new say trinity college ?

Moon is a nice instrument. But personally I would never buy a long neck instrument like a bouzouki without an adjustable truss rod. Some Moons have one, some don’t. It pays to check. Same with Flatirons. I would not buy one without the adjustable truss rod.

Either would be good. I would not necessarily choose one over the other. The Trinity College is, generally speaking, nice for the price. My biggest peeve with them is the saddle compensation is wrong. The bridge saddle comes set up for 2 solid and 2 wound courses, like a mandolin. The saddle needs to be altered or replaced to make them play in tune, in my opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The linked Moon has a truss rod cover which would indicate a truss rod but surprisingly some pegheads have truss covers but no truss rod! As mentioned before it pays to check.

It's my opinion that Moon has the best chance of being a better instrument but of course each instrument is an individual.

The linked Flatiron looks nice too. 23.5 scale if I recall. Lands right in the the middle of Octave mandolin and bouzouki so could be a good instrument to get a feel for long necked mando-beasts.

TC has gone up in price. I wouldn't pay $800 plus for a new one. A used for $500 or so might be a good deal. Be aware that a TC will either be really short (around 20 inch) or really long (over 26 inch) scale.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Buy something second hand - the bang for your buck will be significant compared to buying new. Also - like most acoustic instruments - the instrument will hopefully be nicely played in and be sounding sweeter than brand new instruments can. if you go brand new it'll open up in time. If you do go brand new try and go luthier built if possible.
    Keep monitoring the classifieds here and don't be afraid to ask what's what.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

So I’m looking at a moon 2000’s

She doesn’t know much about it..
    she says there in a nut, under the grind cover on the headstock. One would assume this means it’s adjustable right ?

Also she says it’s strings are 21 inches? Is this what you guys are referring to as measurement ?

She said also it’s 10.5 inches to the 12th fret.. just wondering if this would make it an octave or bouzouki

I would say octave. My unplayed octave has a scale of 518mm/20.4” which is about 10.2” to the 12th fret. I’m on a train so I think that’s right .

Sounds like yes, there is an adjustable truss rod. That’s good. With a 21 inch scale length (from nut to bridge) that’s an octave mandolin, not a bouzouki. But it could be a very nice instrument. Some look at octave mandolins as “short scale bouzoukis” and play them as such. A shorter scale is easier to play. An octave mandolinn normally has all courses tuned in unisons, while a bouzouki has octaves in the lower two courses. An octave mandolin is a fun and versatile instrument, and worthy of consideration as an alternative to a long scale bouzouki.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Lots of great choices out there but here's one to consider:
    https://reverb.com/item/17938546-jim...tenor-bouzouki
    NFI
    buy the moon, plain but every one i have heard sounded great

The Moon is sold. Was that you Conway?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

That was an absolutel steal of a price for an instrument that nice. Not exactly a bouzouki but more versatile in my opinion. Whoever bought it will be a happy camper!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Agreed. Now there's a Petersen in the classifieds for $850. Good time to be buying octave mandolins I guess.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com