Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Gold Tone Mandocello Video

Blog Entries

Default New Gold Tone Mandocello Video

Gold Tone just sent us a link to a new video of their much talked about mandocello and this one is mostly acoustic which was one of the requests regarding the first video they produced. We just received this link a few minutes ago so in corresponding back, asked if possible that someone clarify the questions of further availability. Once we hear that information it will be shared.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Gold Tone Mandocello Video

There response just received:

We are expecting the next shipment to arrive in late March or early April, assuming everything goes well with the new regulations.

- Ken San Angelo Web & IT Manager

Very sweet video!

Cannot wait for elderly to get mine set up and shipped out. The wait is killing me.

Nice to clarify the knobs. I thought it was volume and tone, but apparently it's one volume per pickup. That's a plus for me.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Is there an on-board preamp for the bridge piezo? How do you blend a piezo with a mag pickup then feed that out to an amp/PA when the impedance of the two differ by a factor of 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Is there an on-board preamp for the bridge piezo? How do you blend a piezo with a mag pickup then feed that out to an amp/PA when the impedance of the two differ by a factor of 1000?
    No room for a battery that I can see. I suppose the idea here is that you'd choose one of the two pickups as your primary, with appropriate outboard preamp (or not), and use the knobs to blend in just a touch of the other one to help out.

The piezo will sound nasty on a long cable by itself with no preamp, but if you're mainly using the humbucker, then you could dial in just a little piezo to brighten the top end. Or the opposite... use a preamp on a short cord like the LR Baggs Gigpro on your belt to give a proper impedance match for the piezo, use that as primary, and blend in just a little humbucker to fatten the bottom end.

Neither approach would interest me personally. I'm a microphone guy so I'd be using an external mic or clip-on mic (which is one reason I'm not too interested in this particular instrument). But if someone is buying this for the onboard pickups, which seems to be the marketing focus, then that should work reasonably well.

The two pickups are wired in such a way that the impedance is balanced. This essentially allows a similar output between the two pickups and ensures that one does not talk over the other.

However, in this system the pickups are designed either to be blended to taste or work as two independent pickup systems.

Because the output of each pickup can be individually controlled, you can choose the signal that you are sending to any amp, PA or external preamp system.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldtone For This Useful Post:

So this is a "folkternative" instrument? Should I add that word to my (steadily decreasing) vocabulary?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    So this is a "folkternative" instrument? Should I add that word to my (steadily decreasing) vocabulary?
    Yes, we have a wide variety of instruments that don't fit neatly into traditional categories, or differ from the usual instruments, so we describe them as 'Folkternative'.

Not gonna be playing mine this Sunday Was going to try some heavier gauge strings to see if they would stop some buzzing I'm getting. And I heard the same dreaded question from Jordan that he asked me a few years ago about my Weber Gallatin. "What about this crack?" Noooo!!!!! But then he said, "And this one here?"
    At least it wasn't the headstock like my Weber. The ebony tailpiece has a couple cracks. We think it's from the wood drying out as the tailpiece doesn't seem to have any finish on it. And since it made an ocean voyage. Then think it was in Florida for awhile. Very humid environments. Now here where the furnace is our best friend is just too dry. ( I do have a humidifier attached to it and working) He thought it would be alright thru the weekend but I don't want to take a chance on it getting worse. So I left it with him to fix.

So that's 0 for 2 on these instruments so far?
    Anyone have one that isn't having issues?

As far as I could tell NotMelloCello had his mostly alright eventually except for personal preference on the neck width.

I don't have mine yet, still sitting in Elderly's shop awaiting/undergoing setup. I'm hoping it's just going slow/busy and not having major issues causing it to take this long. They say it should be shipped out next week. The guy who picked one up at House of Musical Traditions in the other thread seemed to be enjoying it too.

15. The following members say thank you to jtv for this post:

I really like mine. Just one of those things that wood will do.

17. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

OK. Cool. I would think that GT would replace the tailpiece under warranty, if they have any to spare. Keep us informed to how it goes. I know that many people are compelled to post complaints, and few to post praise, so if there are some positive reviews, let's hear them too.
    Thanks!

It is just one beautiful instrument. Kinda expected some glitches since it's a new product. Jordan said he was going to contact them to find out what he needs to do...glue/replace

20. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

That's the best of the 3 videos from Gold Tone.

I am hoping the fellow in Illinois who bought mine would make a post....

Hope the guy who got yours makes one too. I want to hear everything from anyone about this right now while I wait for mine.

But it's set up and shipping out tomorrow, just a few more days of waiting!

Hope the guy who got yours makes one too.
    He's not waiting 2 weeks to sell it like I did. Look for it again on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Not gonna be playing mine this Sunday Was going to try some heavier gauge strings to see if they would stop some buzzing I'm getting. And I heard the same dreaded question from Jordan that he asked me a few years ago about my Weber Gallatin. "What about this crack?" Noooo!!!!! But then he said, "And this one here?"
    At least it wasn't the headstock like my Weber. The ebony tailpiece has a couple cracks. We think it's from the wood drying out as the tailpiece doesn't seem to have any finish on it. And since it made an ocean voyage. Then think it was in Florida for awhile. Very humid environments. Now here where the furnace is our best friend is just too dry. ( I do have a humidifier attached to it and working) He thought it would be alright thru the weekend but I don't want to take a chance on it getting worse. So I left it with him to fix.
    Sorry that happened to you! You can contact us at contact@goldtone.com or 321-264-1970 and we will get that taken care of for you.

And this is the first we've heard of any problems with the Mandocello so far, so it might just be a fluke.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldtone For This Useful Post:

Fixed. Jordan glued it up at no charge. Also purchased a ART preamp to see if we can get a better signal to the board. Working on that later this afternoon.

The saga continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Fixed. Jordan glued it up at no charge. Also purchased a ART preamp to see if we can get a better signal to the board. Working on that later this afternoon.
    Seems like you shouldn't need a preamp for the mag pu. If you're running just off the bridge piezo you need something. My first preamp was an ART Tube. Works fine with piezo's although I've moved on since, ultimately to the Redeye.

It came in today! First impressions are amazing.

Looks beautiful, sounds great. I'm new to mandocello so don't really have any basis for comparison, but I'm loving it.

I agree that it's not as loud acoustically as my guitar is/it could be, but for me that's okay. It's a beautiful sound and I'm living in an apartment anyway so quiet isn't bad. It also feels as though it would be loud enough to be heard, just not dominate other instruments.

I see what the complaints were about the pickguard assembly being a bit high, but mine at least is level with the fretboard at one end, but ends up probably 1/2 inch below the strings at the bridge which has worked fine for me. The bits of wiring being visible under the pickguard is odd to me too, but I understand why they did it that way (and I'm the only one who'll see them).

But ya, when that's the extent of my complains with the instrument, I consider this to have been a great buy!

I'm also really going to need to work on getting that pinky involved. I've been neglecting it but am really gonna need it for this.

30. The following members say thank you to jtv for this post:

That makes 3 who've admit they've purchased one.

Quote Originally Posted by jtv View Post
    It came in today! First impressions are amazing.

Looks beautiful, sounds great. I'm new to mandocello so don't really have any basis for comparison, but I'm loving it.

I agree that it's not as loud acoustically as my guitar is/it could be, but for me that's okay. It's a beautiful sound and I'm living in an apartment anyway so quiet isn't bad. It also feels as though it would be loud enough to be heard, just not dominate other instruments.

I see what the complaints were about the pickguard assembly being a bit high, but mine at least is level with the fretboard at one end, but ends up probably 1/2 inch below the strings at the bridge which has worked fine for me. The bits of wiring being visible under the pickguard is odd to me too, but I understand why they did it that way (and I'm the only one who'll see them).

But ya, when that's the extent of my complains with the instrument, I consider this to have been a great buy!

I'm also really going to need to work on getting that pinky involved. I've been neglecting it but am really gonna need it for this.
    I am glad you got yours and are enjoying it. What did you think about the set up from Elderly? Was it playable out of the box? Action to your liking?