Thread: Kentucky KM1000 With No Tag

Default Kentucky KM1000 With No Tag

I ran across a Kentucky mandolin for sale, and asked the guy to look at the tag on the inside and tell me the model number and the serial number so I could figure out how old it is. He told me there was no tag that the first run km1000s didn't get tags. Anyway he said he thinks it was made in Japan in '79 or'80 and thinks it is a km1000. How could one figure out the answer to any of this without a tag?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kentucky KM1000 With No Tag

Pictures?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I forgot, it does say The Kentucky on the headstock and not just Kentucky which leads me to believe it might be a 1000. I would have to have him send me some pics.

I have a Kentucky KM-1000 that was built in 1980 and the headstock just says "Kentucky." The KM-1500's said "The Kentucky." They were the top of the line back then.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I ran across a Kentucky mandolin for sale, and asked the guy to look at the tag on the inside and tell me the model number and the serial number so I could figure out how old it is. He told me there was no tag that the first run km1000s didn't get tags. Anyway he said he thinks it was made in Japan in '79 or'80 and thinks it is a km1000. How could one figure out the answer to any of this without a tag?
    As far as I know those Japanese-built Kentucky mandolins all had tags (a gold label/sticker with a model number and serial number) inside.
    Having the label would positively identify the model, but not necessarily tell you much about the year of manufacture.

I don't know when they changed, but my KM1000 says The Kentucky.

One other thing. According to the Kentucky literature (circa 1980), the KM-1000 had silver hardware and tailpiece. The 1500s had the gold colored hardware and burnished gold tailpiece. The brochures also mention that the KM-1500 of that vintage had the upgrade of a 'Fern' headstock. (doesn't specifically say that the 1000 was a 'Flowerpot' but I believe that was the case)