Thread: Good place to get mandolin set up? I'm in South West Jersey.

Registered User Otis_Spunkmeyer's Avatar

Default Good place to get mandolin set up? I'm in South West Jersey.

I got my Kentucky km-650 set up at a local guitar shop when I first bought it and it left the shop and had to go back a second time but came out OK the 2nd time. The Luther is mainly a guitar guy. I'd like to take it somewhere to have it done by someone who is a little more mandolin experienced. I'm going to buy a new cumberland acoustic bridge for it in the near future so I'm going to knock both the bridge out and adjustments needed all at once. I'd be willing to travel 2 hours in any direction if needed.

Default Re: Good place to get mandolin set up? I'm in South West Jersey.

South West Jersey UK? Or South West (New) Jersey US? I'm guessing the former, but I am in the later. If it's the later, I have a two suggestions. If the former, I have nothing!

Note, when we locally refer to Southern New Jersey, we typically leave out the 'New" and just say 'South Jersey.' I am in Salem County, which is about as South Western (N)J as it gets. Beautiful, rural countryside.

If you are in the UK version, I'd love to hear about it. If you are in the US version, I'd love to get together and play!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Jan-23-2017 at 7:46pm.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I'm about 20 minutes from salem. Right in the country outside of bridgeton. I would love to jam sometimes. I'm only a few months into the mandolin but have years experience with other instruments. It would be nice to learn a thing or two from someone else who plays the mandolin.
    South West Jersey. Kentucky km-650. Delyeah!

Paul Unkert is in Toms River. He's known as "The Original Guitar Guy" but he does excellent work on mandolins. He did a re-fret on my Gibson last year. I take all of my instruments to him Highly recommended. One thing, he's a telephone guy, he's not real computer savvy. There is a Facebook group someone set up as a tribute to him (he has some major guitar history). Call him don't e-mail him.

http://www.theoriginalguitarguy.com/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Worse case, you mail the mando to Cumberland and have them set up and install the bridge. I did that with a Loar 600, and had them install a k and k pickup at the same time. They did a great job, and the turnaround time was reasonable. I also do not have many, if any mandolin set up folks near me.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I'd prefer to not mail it away. There has to be some shops within distance. Or someone in their garage who has a love for folk or mandolins and can set it up and then at it to check it instead of just getting it all done through measurements.

Hi Otis,

That's funny. We really aren't far apart at all. I am outside of Woodstown. We'll have to find a time to play together.

There sure is a local guy who can do it. Get ahold of John Workman at M and M Music on Delsea Drive in Vineland. He's their Luthier and works right in their shop. I haven't had him do any work for me, but I have spoken with him a number of times and he is knowledgeable. He's also a really nice guy, so give him a call and see what you think.

I have had Paul Unkert, mentioned above, do some work for he. He is absolutely top notch and also a really nice guy. He plays with someone in Bridgeton, so you might be able to work out transportation for your mandolin.

PM me if you need more info.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I actually had M&m music do the first two setups and he did a great job. I'd recommend him to anyone, but I'm trying to see who else is out there and see if I can find someone who specializes in mandolins or is at least more focused towards them.

Bump