Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

Blog Entries

Default No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

... to play the bluegrass music. Travers Chandler. Love his playing and energy.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

Long-time A guy, he's the bomb. That's my pal Eddie Gill on the flat-top box.

Fantastic stuff!

Weird !! - I was playing Bill Monroe's tune ''Rocky Road Blues'' on my Ellis "A" style yesterday - released on Jan. 14th 1946, my 1st birthday. I can't say i sounded quite as good as that,but i'm gettin' there (slooooowly !),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Nice! I get such joy when I see someone tearing it up with an A on stage.

This weekend I was in one of the most famous shops in the country taste testing mandos. I was playing an A style from one of the most respected builders in the country, and the shop guy suggested I try out the F style sitting next to it, which also comes out of the same shop. I informed him the A style was actually much more powerful and resonant, and that it beat the F hands down. He was shocked an A could outperform an F, and I didn't bother explaining there's no difference, I did however, play them both and prove the point.

I've always been a huge fan of A styles... I must say though, unbiased, that the point on my Gibson is indescribably useful. I find my F is turning into my go-to mando just because of its more ergonomic design while sitting. While standing though... I think I still prefer an A. The main point is that I still love the beauty and efficiency and cost economy of an awesome A style.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fentonjames For This Useful Post:

"A" style mandolins seem to me to have an ''underdog' label hangin' around their necks !. Totally undeserved. I think it's all to do with ''what Bill played'' (again!). As i've said before in several threads / posts - Bill Monroe & his Gibson F5 mandolin & Earl Scruggs & his Gibson 'Mastertone' banjo,not only left us a legacy of awesome music,but also one of ''which instruments real Bluegrass mandolin & banjo players should use''. I think it's as simple as that. I'd think that most good mandolin players understand that a good "A" style is (usually) every bit as good as a corresponding "F" style these days - it's simply their choice of which one they play. Several folk on here have said in the past,that if Bill Monroe had played & made famous the "A" style mandolin,we'd all be hankering after that style.

Like 9lbShellhammer,i really love to see an "A" style featured. Having been the owner of a fine (used) Ellis "A" style now for a tad over 3 years,i know just how fantastic a good "A" style can be - i'd put mine up against any 'top' mandolin on the planet & it wouldn't shame itself. My playing on the other hand................!!!,

I've recently re-hashed my ''dream mandolin scenario'' & truthfully,it's an Ellis "A" style in Tom's 'Dark-burst' finish. I can't think of anything more glorious - my Ellis "A" style has made that much of an impression on me. If i was several years younger,i'd have one on order right now,
    Ivan
    Ellis ''Dark-burst'' Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellis Darkburst F5.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	153436
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... I don't guess anybody really needs a mandolin. Wanting one is another story. F , A , two point , three point, oh yeah! But you do need one or the other to play 'grass. I've decided the real problem with mandolins is that I can't own all of the makers and models I want. Yup.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

My wife was at the shop I mentioned above with me last weekend and the winner of the day for me personally was an Ellis A5. She ventured, unprompted, to say I could pick one up eventually! (Just not this year with another baby on the way.) I must have been good this year.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

I`ll admit that I was one that thought to play bluegrass an F-5 was the beast to have, then I heard so many good things about the Loar A-5 and that Kentucky had made a real good copy of it with their KM-900 that I bought one sight unseen and it knocked my socks off...The scroll and shape doesn`t do a thing to add to the tone and an F model is mostly a status symbol thanks to Bill Monroe as Ivan said... I do like the scroll for a strap hanger though...

Willie

15. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

To me, there is something visually about the design of a "F" that is a "grabber."
    John A. Karsemeyer

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAK For This Useful Post:

JAK - There's no doubt at all that the 'shape' of an "F" style is truly beautiful. Such an elegant shape really does catch the eye. However,the "A" style design has it's own beauty. I've seen some "A" style designs on here that have been almost breath taking,truly gorgeous instruments,none of which,if i owned one, would i trade for an "F" style - i'll take the "F" style as well please !!.

I originally set out to own an "F" style & an "A" style,not only an "A" style but one with an oval hole,my Weber "Beartooth". I wanted 2 totally different designs. My "Beartooth" developed a warped neck & i part-ex'd it for my current Lebeda "F" style. I was very fortunate indeed to have been offered my 'used' Ellis "A" style at a good price & i'm glad that after initially refusing it,i had the sense to buy it -it's an incredible mandolin,& for me demonstrates an absolute truth,that a good "A" style is every bit as good as a good "F" style mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Once again Ivan, you have made a clear and eloquent point. The Voluptuous sweeping form of the "F" style is beautiful but, the equally delicate form of the Lyon and Healy body shapes are stunning as well. The "A" style is just as lovely but, it's more subtle.
    It's Marilyn Monroe v. Rita Hayworth v. Emma Stone. All total knock outs all very different, but, boy they all sure look great!
    My "Lotto winning gift to myself" would be a trio of and "F-5, F-4,and an A-5". Oh, and a
    cottage with a nice porch to play them on!
    Back to reality and doing laundry!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    ... My "Lotto winning gift to myself" would be a trio of and "F-5, F-4,and an A-5". ...
    But... only three new mandolins after winning the lottery?

Oh, and a helluva party!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

24. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

My Eastman A style has more sustain and volume thany my F style

I bought my first and only mandolin about 8 years ago (a michael kelly legacy festival) because it was the best sounding and playing F in the shops where I was living at the time (which had a pretty limited selection in my price range). I really wish I had taken that money and put it towards a higher quality A, but that scroll was just too pretty! All in all Im still happy with it (Ive been playing it for 8 years after all), but I know I could have gotten something much better for the money. Now Im about ready to upgrade, and who knows if I would be had I shopped a little smarter.

JackCo - See if you can lay your hands on a Kentucky KM900 "A" style to try out. From what i've heard & read about them,they can be truly sensational. There are a few folk on here who own one & who also own other very high ranking mandolins, & from what they've posted,the KM900's will cut it with the best of 'em !!,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM900.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	154652
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

The Father Of Bluegrass personally certifies that you don't...

Name:	Monroe_EpiphoneStrand.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	154656
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Yes Bill set the standard for mandolins and Earl for banjo, at least in bluegrass. I've been playing BG for 50 years and until recently an F style was the only carved top, long neck, raised fretboard, F hole mandolin available, at least to my knowledge.
    An A50 or an A3 just didn't work as well for BG, not saying you can't play BG on these just that it lacks "that" sound that an F5 has. The A5's of recent years has changed that. I don't claim to know as much about banjo, but in my experience the same thing can be said of the Gibson Mastertone. I don't recall hearing banjos with " that" sound until a few years ago, and like mandolins there are several choices now. Now before someone gets upset, saying I said these were the only good instruments available in years past that IS NOT what I said. Many good instrument were made in years past. In Gibson mandolins alone I love an oval hole and own an F2 but when I'm playing hardcore BG I reach for my Dearstone, which by the way is an A style.

At one point,going back many years,Gibson banjos were going downhill much as their mandolins were at that time. So much so,that SAGA Music decided to produce the first of the 'Gold Star' range of banjos produced in Japan by the Tokai Guitar Co.. They were terrific banjos. Other makers soon came on the scene,producing banjos that were of exceptional quality - 'Stelling' being just one of them.

Going back 12 years or so,a music dealer friend of mine imported what i'm sure was the first Chinese built Gold Star banjo in the UK for me. It was simply superb in every way possible. The build quality was first class & tonally,when i played it back to back with 2 banjos made by a 'very' well known maker,it sank 'em both. I did replace the rather less than good tuners & tailpiece & it was
    incredible to play. The bridge wasn't too good either,so, i bought a bog standard 5/8" Grover bridge,thinned it down to the same front to back dimensions as my Stelling bridge & it sounded as good as any banjo i've heard to date (apart from one ).
    I only sold it because mandolin took over & i didn't need 2 banjos,but terrific banjos indeed,
    Ivan

Name:	Gold Star GF-100.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	154702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Star GF-100 (2).jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	154703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Star - TKL 007..jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	154704
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I'm an A style kind of guy. It looks cleaner, has less protrubances to bang against something and break, but more importantly, more bang for the $$$$.$$
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I recall a conversation Gilchrist had with the ,then, importer of his mandolins. The discussion was about the A vs the F for tone, playability, volume etc. Gilchrist said without hesitation, " there is no difference between the two. The question was then posed why have you all but discontinued the A model ? He responded simply and succinctly, "for the investment of time and materials the F model gives a much higher return".

I have had but one F style in the approximately 50 mandolins I have owned. My favorites were two I ordered from Givens, an A-3 and an A-6. The A-6 was a stunner, the A-3 played, and sounded, better. I sold them both because the nut width was ridiculously narrow.. like an Eastman.

Lifelong Member of the A Team.

I do like dual pointers. Among those would be the Phoenix as the top contender.

I think this is a process that newer players go through often. They see pros playing an F style and fall for it (and it is a lovely design). Happened to me when my teacher at the time handed me his Heiden F. Felt I had to have one and eventually got an F. Now many years later it matters less to me. A's are also attractive and being cheaper, less vulnerable to damage and a little smaller makes them appealing for those reasons. Ultimately it's a personal choice and really doesn't matter. When you hear someone playing well, you certainly don't care.
    Cary Fagan

From Cary Fagan above - " Now many years later it matters less to me..". Amen to that !. Undoubtedly,an "F" style mandolin is a thing of beauty regarding it's shape,but we don't play the 'shape',that has maybe more to do with 'what Bill played' than anything - i know that's the reason i'd personally love to own a really nice Gibson F5 style mandolin - but the 'sound' of my Ellis "A" style is simply incredibly good,& that's by any standard !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.