Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

Default Re: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I think it's all to do with ''what Bill played'' (again!). As i've said before in several threads / posts - Bill Monroe & his Gibson F5 mandolin & Earl Scruggs & his Gibson 'Mastertone' banjo,not only left us a legacy of awesome music,but also one of ''which instruments real Bluegrass mandolin & banjo players should use''.]
    Just suppose if BM had never stopped using his old bowl back mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Just suppose if BM had never stopped using his old bowl back mandolin!
    or his Snakehead..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.32.54 AM.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	154740
    Thomas Quinn

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandotool For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Obviously an F is not a requirement, but I do like the ergonomics of a point to keep it on my leg when sitting, and a convenient strap hanger. I just wish such a premium price weren't paid to have a place to put a strap and keep the thing from sliding around. That, and I just want the points and the scroll, I could do without the fancy headstock that's just waiting to have pieces snap off. But a well-made F is purty, so I guess there's that.

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

I love the sound of this Ellis.
    http://themusicemporium.com/mandolin...emona-sunburst

Baron from mandolessons.com Ellis sounds great as well.

7. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Steve - Honestly,i think you'd love the tone of any Ellis mandolin !. Tom's mandolins are up there with the very best being made today,& not just in my opinion. If you ever get the chance to buy an Ellis,especially a 'used' one in good condition,at least try it out if you can,they're pretty spectacular,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, I would love to try one (or a Pava) sometime. I have a 2001 Flatiron Festival that is a really wonderful mandolin. It is far more than my playing ability. Unless I found an Ellis priced at mistake it would be above my budget, at least for now. The music budget currently is going for my daughter who plays violin/fiddle and actually has some talent.

10. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Hi Steve - I was very fortunate indeed. You might know of TAMCO in the UK,''The Acoustic Music Company'',owned & run by Trevor Moyle. Trevor had my 'used' Ellis "A" style on sale for a while at a price that was a bit more than i could afford. Anyway,totally out of the blue,he offered it to me a a knock down price - he knows that i'm an Ellis fiend. As i already owned 2 mandolins,both "F" styles,i refused it. Having thought about it overnight,& also,with Trevor having mentioned that it would help him out,i did buy it. It was everything that i thought that an Ellis mandolin would be - maybe more !.

I have a friend who owns a good Flatiron mandolin & it is a terrific instrument - an Ellis might be more 'different' than 'better' (whatever that means),but if you could stretch to a 'Pava' at some point,from what i've read on here,you'd be 95% of the way there,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I have tried a Kentucky KM1500, and one or two Eastman F styles, but the only F that I have ever played that I liked was a Gilchrist F5 Jr, and I only got to play it because the guy at my local jam who own's it was a very kind and trusting fellow!.... Just something about the A that I like
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Speaking of A vs F, of course there are also differences in design within each category. I'm sure many others have noticed that a few builders have been inspired by the Loar A to use a more rounded shape--Heiden and Duff A styles come to mind, as well as Kentucky 900s. The difference seems to be in the slope towards the neck. I've not owned a mandolin with this shape but it really appeals to me, perhaps because it recalls the earlier Gibson As.

Here for example is a wonderful sounding and played Duff A:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSUvd1kDJk

Different in shape from this Gilchrist A:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtJj1Mj2A8
    Cary Fagan

Quote Originally Posted by mandotool View Post
    or his Snakehead..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.32.54 AM.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	154740
    Thomas,
    What's the source of that photo? I've never seen that. To think that he had a Loar-era snakehead long before he had a Loar-era F5. Amazing.
    Cornelius Morris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I would love to try one (or a Pava) sometime.
    You need to get out more. If you're actual in the PNW as your nom de plume suggests, and you see a guy pull a Pava F5 out of a green Calton at a local jam, I'll bet if you ask real nice he'll let you play it. Which is probably about the only way to pull that off given that the only way I got to play a Pava was because she and Ellis were at Wintergrass last year. Nobody around here seems to stock them.

Smile Re: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Steve - I was very fortunate indeed. You might know of TAMCO in the UK,''The Acoustic Music Company'',owned & run by Trevor Moyle. Trevor had my 'used' Ellis "A" style on sale for a while at a price that was a bit more than i could afford. Anyway,totally out of the blue,he offered it to me a a knock down price - he knows that i'm an Ellis fiend. As i already owned 2 mandolins,both "F" styles,i refused it. Having thought about it overnight,& also,with Trevor having mentioned that it would help him out,i did buy it. It was everything that i thought that an Ellis mandolin would be - maybe more !.

I have a friend who owns a good Flatiron mandolin & it is a terrific instrument - an Ellis might be more 'different' than 'better' (whatever that means),but if you could stretch to a 'Pava' at some point,from what i've read on here,you'd be 95% of the way there,
    Ivan
    Nice of you to help out a friend Unfortunately I have not run into anyone who has a Pava or Ellis at a jam and we do not have a dealer for either anywhere close. Someday....

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Morris View Post
    Thomas,
    What's the source of that photo? I've never seen that. To think that he had a Loar-era snakehead long before he had a Loar-era F5. Amazing.
    The photo comes from a Facebook posting of Bill Monroe's grandson, James William Monroe III. He wanted to ID the mandolin so I started this thread: Bill Monroe's Mandolin When Mr Monroe was 21 years old consensus is that it's a Loar era Snakehead
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

18. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Thanks, DN. I don't know how I ever missed that thread of yours.
    Cornelius Morris

20. The following members say thank you to Cornelius Morris for this post:

Just saw this video for the first time today. Doyle Lawson with an A style with the BGAB:

A or F, it is in the mind and hands of the musician to make it sing.

F to A to F again; Not sure how much the internal structure works on this, but my first really good mandolin was an old Gibson A; it was 2 heads and shoulders over the $500 factory Washburn (not the old classic) I was playing. I thought I was set for life, but I came across a Stiver F and it absolutely killed anything in its path. Now I am sure the craftsmanship (I believe Stiver is handmade, 1 at a time) as well as the materials are a much bigger factor than the profile, although I have heard that the hole itself--"f" vs. oval does make a difference. On the other hand--and on the other clef--I have a 1918 K2 Mandocello, oval profile and hole; I had a chance to play the much fancier and more expensive K4 with all the curlies and points. If there was any difference, I could not hear it; the gorgeous K4 out-glamoured and grossly out-priced my K2, but the oval sounds just as good, maybe even better in some ranges. Still, all this might be a matter of specific instruments (rather than A vs F models) and just plain luck. I happen to be very lucky with my Stiver F and my Gibson oval K2.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think of what Tim played. Farmerjames shows all I need to know. Tim's the Man!

It was probably '78 when I first saw them in Boulder - straight out of college and working my first job. Wow!

f-d

p.s., when I first saw Sam Bush (NGR, c. '73, Denver) he was playing an a-model mandolin.
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A