Thread: Strap Button Regal Tenor Guitar

Default Strap Button Regal Tenor Guitar

Not sure if this is really the place to post this question... I'd like to add a strap button to the tail end of a vintage 30's Regal tenor guitar. While I don't know guitar repair/construction, I'm certainly competent to do the actual installation. But I want to make sure that this guitar is built in a way that adding the button won't damage it.

Default Re: Strap Button Regal Tenor Guitar

A photo would be a good place to start in getting some advice. Some of the little Regal tenors have banjo style tail pieces and you may be able to attach a strap without drilling for a button.

But I would add that if you're not already comfortable locating and evaluating the tail block of a guitar, you might do best to pay a luthier to drill for and install a strap button for you.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    A photo would be a good place to start in getting some advice. Some of the little Regal tenors have banjo style tail pieces and you may be able to attach a strap without drilling for a button.

But I would add that if you're not already comfortable locating and evaluating the tail block of a guitar, you might do best to pay a luthier to drill for and install a strap button for you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3927.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	152666

Name:	IMG_3932.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	152667

Here's a photo of the tail block and the tailpiece. (sorry they are sideways)

In regards to having a luthier put on the strap button. Yeah, probably I should. But I'm a professional woodwind maker and I've built a banjo. While I'm not saying that actually qualifies me to do any work on a guitar, as I know very little about guitars, I think with some advice I can safely add a strap button. Though please tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if the tailpiece is missing a bit. It seems odd for the strings to be sitting right on the guitar body. I just got this guitar for christmas. When I change the strings I was planning on slipping a bit of leather under the strings, though the damage to the body has already been done.

Can I add the strap button through the lowest hole of the tailpiece?

Take a look at this thread. You can do the same thing with the same button on that tenor's tailpiece.

This is the strap button I used and I bought a shorter slot head screw for it so it looked right. You probably won't find a nickel plated oval head slotted screw but you can probably find one in stainless.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

By the way, it looks like that tailpiece is lifting. Unless that is an optical illusion you might want to heal the holes with some round toothpicks and Titebond and redrill them.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I have an identical Regal tenor. The tailpiece on yours does look different than the normal "Bell" tailpiece (see picture) where the strings are resting on metal, not the binding. I have my old one around...pm me if you are interested in it. Regarding the strap pin, yes you can just go in through the existing bottom tailpiece screw. I replaced mine with a trapeze tp and did the pin with no problems. I did open up the hole a bit for the larger screw first to avoid possible splitting of the block.

Name:	Capture 1.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	152682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	152683

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great replies.

Yes, I knew I should address the lifting tailpiece. I'll do as you say when I add the strap button.

And I've ordered that strap button. Thanks!

Nate

Thanks to ajh for the replacement tailpiece, and the info on strap button attachment! I didn't use the stock screw as it seemed way overkill, so I used a smaller shorter one. I'll see if I can find a flat head screw to replace this philips one at some point, but for now I'm in business!

Name:	IMG_3977.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	152901

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate Banton For This Useful Post:

ajhBradKlein 

Looks good, if it had the slotted screw it would look factory

Check some of your local small hardware stores and try to find an oval head slotted screw.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks Mike, will do. I bought the exact button you recommended; it's perfect. We've got a great local hardware store that I'm sure will have exactly what's needed.

Any ideas for a case for this guitar?

Well, if you have a time machine, Regal did offer just about the cutest little hardshell case ever made for their high end tenor guitars.

But for a contemporary case or gig bag, you might put together the complete dimensions and reach out to Elderly Instruments and ask what might fit.

Name:	in case.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	152928
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos