Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pono - KR Strings Octave

Default Pono - KR Strings Octave

Has anyone had a chance to try one of these yet in either size? Your thoughts?

Default Re: Pono - KR Strings Octave

I was really interested in purchasing one but couldn't find contact information other than a webform. Have not heard anything back from that request. I'll be interested to hear what others think of them.

Hello! This is Kilin Reece of KR Strings, please feel free to contact me directly to my email KR strings@Gmail.com. Response far has been tremendous and I will have the next batch ready to ship January 29. I am developing Proto types right now for a Mandola size and mandolin size in the same style flat top design!

Thank you!
    Www.krstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by KR Strings View Post
    Hello! This is Kilin Reece of KR Strings, please feel free to contact me directly to my email KR strings@Gmail.com. Response far has been tremendous and I will have the next batch ready to ship January 29. I am developing Proto types right now for a Mandola size and mandolin size in the same style flat top design!

Thank you!
    Www.krstrings.com
    So a wee baby guitar body mandolin / mandola? You intrigue me, sir. I am intrigued.

Looks like the Mandolin Store is going to be carrying these now too!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Hey guys I have a few in stock and more coming in on Thursday then the supply is going to be pretty light until April. I love these new instruments! Fee free to give us a shout if you have any questions
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Drool.

Well, I went ahead and got one of these from Kilin Reese. I love it. Great tone, really bell like. Having a blast with it.

I love the guitar body, and it really balances well with a strap.

But I think I want to try a heavier string gauge. When an instrument has too light a gauge, it's easy to play, but sometimes the strings oscillate/buzz a bit more than I'd like.

It ships with a custom set that Kilin devised: 12-22w-32w-46w. The scale is 21.5", but I think I might try the same gauge that I use on my 20"-scale Gallatin OM (Pearse 2265: 14-22w-36w-48w).

The thing is that, with a flat-top guitar bridge, it requires ball-end strings. So, string choice is severely limited.

Might use the Pearse strings and try to rig a ball-end on the loop. Or I suppose I could buy single strings and make up a set.

Anyway, enough navel-gazing. It's a really fun little instrument. Much different than the Gallatin; much brighter, which is cool for some stuff. For darker music, the Gallatin still has its place.

Who else has played one? Owns one? Might need an owner-appreciation thread!
    Last edited by terzinator; Feb-07-2017 at 3:32pm.

9. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

I also got one of these sweet octave mandolins from Kilin Reece. I got the 23" scale length with the tenor guitar body. It has such a rich tone. Also Kilin has incredible customer service. The Indian Rosewood is quite beautiful and really adds to the tone. Thanks Kilin and Pono Guitars for this awesome new addition to my mando madness��

I purchased the 23" version from themandolinstore. It is waiting for me to go pick it up. I cannot wait to get it home!

Registered User Richard Singleton's Avatar

Tonight on ebay some lucky individual snagged a lightly used short scale one for $750! If you are a Cafe member and see this, please let us know your opinions on it!
    Richard Singleton

That'd be me! Long time lurker, and Richard's request spurred me finally to register. I'm looking forward to filing my report.

There's even some suspense involved. The e-bay headline advertised a 20" Tenor Body OM, but the label in one of the pics says it's an MNS-20, which as near as I can tell is a mahogany body, satin finish, tenor body with a 23" scale (in fact, the short scale neck is 21.5", not 20" and I don't believe it comes on a tenor body).

Either way, I can't wait until it arrives and I can get to playing!

14. The following members say thank you to Alex R. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex R. View Post
    That'd be me! Long time lurker, and Richard's request spurred me finally to register. I'm looking forward to filing my report.

There's even some suspense involved. The e-bay headline advertised a 20" Tenor Body OM, but the label in one of the pics says it's an MNS-20, which as near as I can tell is a mahogany body, satin finish, tenor body with a 23" scale (in fact, the short scale neck is 21.5", not 20" and I don't believe it comes on a tenor body).

Either way, I can't wait until it arrives and I can get to playing!
    If it is the MN-20 you should be pretty happy. I have one and it is a fantastic instrument.

update for all my CBOM pals...

(I know you haven't been able to sleep at night.)

I ran the Pono through its paces for a couple of weeks. I really loved the tone and the body shape, and the looks are just so great.

But while it was definitely a fun instrument, I decided that I prefer my Gallatin for the stuff that I play. I think I prefer the arch top/bridge configuration, too -- or maybe that's just what my picking hand is used to as I pick the strings. I also got pretty used to the shorter 20" scale of the Gallatin. That was probably my biggest reservation. If you're used to a regular scale OM, it's a non issue. But for me, I missed the comfort of the shorter scale.

Anyway, in emailing with Kilin, he said, "no problem, I want you to be totally happy, so if it's not exactly what you're looking for, send it back." (He has a waiting list, so he was fine with it!)

Anyway, what a great guy. No issues on the return, prompt refund and everything.

So, anyway, if you're mulling this over, give it a shot. They really are great little instruments.

Does anyone know what strings are being used on these? On the Pono FAQ it list .046, 0.032, 0.022, and 0.012 as the gauges. I'm thinking of moving the high E up a gauge and would prefer to put the same set of strings back on it. Try to keep as many things equal as I experiment with tone comparisons.

Hi MC16,

Kilin Reece here of KR Strings. The string set we are using in our signature set are D'Addario strings, pretty much their octave set, with ball ends to work with my pin bridge design. I have several people here in the islands, including the great Ledward Kaapana playing this instrument in slack key, or Kiho'alu tuning. I have used as high as a .014" on the highest course, but thats because that string in slack tuning is ending up anywhere between a C and D note. I have a list of alternate tuning information on my website at www.krstrings.com under "PONO COLLABORATION"- "Octave Resources" .

Let me know if I can help!

808-387-4583

Aloha, -KiLin

Mine finally arrived this afternoon after a two-week truck ride from Washington to Connecticut (as an aside, USPS Ground means no tracking updates while your package is on the truck - excrutiating!).

I love it. It feels great in my hands. The neck is very playable, the body is nicely balanced. My only quibble is that the neck heel comes to a point that is less comfortable than a rounded heel when you bump into it. But whatever, it's so well constructed! Even after what must have been a tough trip with lots of weather changes and very low humidity, it arrived in tune and well set up with nice easy action.

I also noticed what Terzinator said about string gauges - the d-string feels a little light - but that's not a problem with the instrument, just my different string choice.

Most important, the sound is fantastic. It sounds less mandolin-y and more like a 12-string guitar, which is perfect for my needs. Clear, full tone, lots of sustain. Really pretty. My first band rehearsal with it is tonight, and I'm looking forward to really putting it through its paces.

UPDATE: Just to clarify, I'm the lucky guy who got mine off eBay, and it was the original owner, not Kilin or Mandolin Store, who sent it via USPS Ground.
    Last edited by Alex R.; Mar-04-2017 at 5:35pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Alex R. for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

So what scale was it then Alex?
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Just received mine from the Mandolin Store. Not sure if it is the same body size as yours but it is a Pono Octave. so far it is the only instrument I am having trouble playing while sitting down. I think I need a strap but am nervous about drilling in to mount a Strap button (It does not come with one). the body being small I cannot figure out which knee to balance it on! I am sure there is a block to screw into. I would then use a mando strap around the headstock. any encouragement to drill the hole would be appreciated!!
    As for the OM it is awesome. the build quality is flawless. It has grovers and is a breeze to play. the case is very, very good and is the best fitting case I have had in a long time. the manufacturer obviously has a passion for this stuff. As usual the Mandolin Store did their usual top notch set up although I surmise these instruments come out of the box ready to go.
    I would recommend using more of a guitar fingering than winging it with Mandolin fingering. It is not hard. In fact I just purchased a viola and had to learn the Alto clef so this is a breeze compared to that
    sorry about the rambling post.....Pono OM is great and the Mandolin store too r

I, too, received a new Pono Octave from the Mandolin Store about 2 weeks ago. I'd like to echo everything that Heymate said above about the great experience buying from The Mandolin Store. The instrument arrived quickly and beautifully set up; they responded to my inquiries instantly, with warmth, personality and professionalism. When I asked about strap buttons, Dennis said no, there are no strap buttons but--after noting that it would void the warranty--Dennis said he could install some. (Warranty shwarranty.) I am over the moon about the Octave; it is the LAST INSTRUMENT I will ever care to buy! (Ever heard that before? But I really mean it, honest...) I'd also like to emphasize Alex R's remark, who noted that his sounds less like a mandolin and more "like a 12 string guitar". Yes. I'm feeling very Roger McGuinn lately and loving it. It's great to look at, tenor body, mahogany sunburst. I'm a very lucky (but in the red) somebody. Worth it. All worth it. The word in advance was so glowing that I'd been dreaming about owning one for months. I have loved playing tenor guitar. The Pono doubles the fun (and the sound! Yummy!) I gave it to myself for Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to me!

I just got one. Very pleased. You can read my first impressions on post #29 here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...n-Octave/page2

I am getting some string buzz on the G and D strings (a little bit open position on the G but especially more buzz on all frets up to fret 13 up the neck mostly on G but a little on D too.).

I gave it a tiny tweak of more relief and that helped. But I still have more buzz than I want and I dont want to add more relief without knowing for sure whats going on. I put a ruler down the neck and couldn't see any obvious fret offenders.

The string tension on the G and D seems a bit loose to me but I've never owned an OM so not sure. Anyone else notice that?

Has anyone gone up a string gauge ? Kilin said the instrument could easily take it.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

20lb per string tension should feel good on a 21" scale (if that is what it is)
    Something like 13 22 34 48 I have 12 20 32 50 on my 21" scale octave.
    I don't really think the same gauges suit every playing style or everyone, you need to experiment to find what you really prefer.
    Apart from the gauges it sounds like you need to look at the set up, bridge & nut height.
    Do you know the string gauges you have fitted?
    Last edited by fox; Jun-03-2017 at 1:53pm.

26. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Astro 

12-46

Daddario EJ80 Medium Phos Bronze

12-22-32-46

Its a 21.5 scale.

So before I tinkr with set up, I'm going to bump up the G and D to 48 and 34.

I'll bet that does it. THANKS

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

If you are going to buy single guitar strings (good idea) then I would recommend you try a .20W for the A.
    You may or may not like the effect or feel but I think they will work really well on your scale length (about 21lb tension)

29. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Astro 

Thanks again Fox.

I can't find a set of strings available with 48w and 34w. Also I need ball ends. I searched just Strings and Strings and Beyond. Anyone know a set like this?

I guess I'll have to order individual guitar strings. Kind of weird.