Thread: Yahoo email users: PLEASE READ

Blog Entries

Default Yahoo email users: PLEASE READ

A note to let you know we're having ongoing problems with Yahoo delivering Forum email to you on occasion. This means when our Forum software sends email to notify you about a new private message you've received, updates to threads to which you are subscribed, or if you request a password reset, Yahoo may or may not allow the mail through in a timely manner or may refuse it altogether. Some go through, some don't, and there's little rhyme or reason to why. We've implemented all of the recommended steps they suggest to alleviate these issues and the problems continue. It's no secret they have a lot of serious problems managing their services as is evident in the news that 1 billion Yahoo emails were recently hacked.

We're suggesting if you have an alternate email provider that you send that email address to us so we can assign it to your Forum account vs. your Yahoo account. Please do this through a PM (private message) to this account, don't post it here publicly.

In over 20 years of managing this web site and those other companies and universities where I was employed, no other email service of Yahoo's size has ever had the kind of ongoing issues over the years that they foist on their users and site owners, and this is the only fix we can recommend so that our users receive the kind of service they deserve. Please note this only impacts the Forum, and no other part of this site, The Classifieds are not impacted.

If you feel the service they are providing is working and you're receiving all Forum notices you are welcome to disregard this notice. It's not our job to tell you which email provider to use, but it is our job to tell you when the features this forum provides will not work with one of them.

Scott Tichenor
    Mandolin Cafe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Yahoo email users: PLEASE READ

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    ... problems with Yahoo delivering Forum email... in a timely manner... or may refuse it altogether. Some go through, some don't, ...
    Gmail too, here, the last week or so. Sometimes MandolinCafe emails arrive 24-48 hours late, or not at all. But it's not consistent.

I wonder if one of the anti-spam blacklist services is having problems?

My understanding is that the same blacklists are often used by multiple different email providers, and that sometimes mistakes are made with putting numbers on blacklists (a website's email server might get blacklisted incorrectly even when they haven't done anything wrong).

At one of my old webhosts that had webmail included, they let the user choose *which* blacklists to use, so that if there was a problem with one of the blacklists it could be just turned off for a while. The default setup was to use several different blacklists simultaneously. But I don't see any such user-selectable options in either Gmail or Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    ... no other email service of Yahoo's size has ever had the kind of ongoing issues over the years that they foist on their users and site owners, ...
    Agree.

I switched away from Yahoo years ago except for one little-used account which would be a hassle to change.

Got tired of all the data breaches & hacks & having to change my password so darned often.

While it's 'nice' of Yahoo to fess up when they've been hacked, instead of trying to hide it, nevertheless the fact that they get hacked so often is worrisome & does not seem secure at all.

Default Re: Yahoo email users: PLEASE READ

I have no problem with Gmail and forum e-mail. They come right through always. I suspect Yahoo's issues are probably related to inconsistencies in their own systems and not problems with a blacklist.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber