Thread: Kala KA-GTR Tenor String Gauges and Tensions

Default Kala KA-GTR Tenor String Gauges and Tensions

(Long story. Skip to the end to see which strings work for me.)

I've decided to post some general information about Kala KA-GTR tenor guitar string gauges because I have not found this information any place else. I come to the tenor guitar from full-size 6-strings and ukuleles. I must admit that while the standard tenor tunings sound beautiful, I am too old and lazy to relearn the fretboard, and my fingers don't seem to have adequate reach. Long and short of it is that I wanted to use Chicago DGBE tuning. I received my Kala tenor used and tuned to CGDA with what seemed like incredibly light strings, including one that measured at .008". It seemed as if the string tension was not sufficient to drive the solid top of the guitar even though I suspected that the GTR was not over-built since it was coming from a ukulele company. It just sounded dead and awful.

I was told that many guitar setp people generally shoot for about 20 lbs of tension per string. The Kala factory reps steadfastly refused to offer any advice on what the optimum or even structurally safe string tensions would be. They were useless and would only repeat that Kala recommends Daddario J66 strings for their instrument and that they have never even heard of alternate tunings being used on a tenor guitar. So,they wouldn't give me any string tension numbers whatsoever.

The J66 set, as you may know, is aimed at tenor guitars of "standard" scale length whereas the Kala is an unusually short scale length of 21.375 inches. The Daddario J66 set may be the most readily available tenor guitar string set out there, but if you put them on a "shorter than normal" guitar, they are likely to be flabby and not drive the top. If you tune them to DGBE, you would go farther from optimum.

Well, I went ahead and calculated out some strings that would give me approximately 20 lbs of tension all the way across the bridge in DGBE, and was not happy with the sound or the action. I wanted to love the Kala, but had pretty much decided that it was a guitar that sounded good in standard tenor tuning, but not in DGBE. I have an inexpensive Ibanez PFT2 tenor that sounds decent in both. Then, just for the heck of it, I opened up a set of Daddario EJ26 custom light strings I'd bought once for a standard scale 6-string and threw the DGBE strings onto the tenor. Sounds great to me and plays nicely and the intonation seems to have improved.

So, here are some string tension figures you can look at when you choose strings for your Kala KA-GTR tenor guitar. All figures are calculated based upon the 21.375" scale of the KA-GTR. For DGBE, I ended up using .032 .022 .015 .011 and am happy with them.

These are the four highest strings from the EJ26 set that's widely available:

E 0.0110 in. 13.79 lbs
    B 0.0150 in. 14.39 lbs
    G 0.0220 in. 17.34 lbs
    D 0.0320 in. 20.38 lbs

(For a standard scale 6-string, these tensions would each be about 7 lbs. higher.)

If you go with the J66 tenor guitar string set on the KalaKA-GTR in DGBE, you get this:

E 0.0100 in. 11.40 lbs
    B 0.0140 in. 12.54 lbs
    G 0.0220 in. 17.34 lbs
    D 0.0320 in. 20.38 lbs

I think those first two strings are getting pretty flabby in DGBE tuning.

However, when you go to CGDA tuning, the tensions improve for the J66 set:

A 0.0100 in. 20.31 lbs
    D 0.0140 in. 17.73 lbs
    G 0.0220 in. 17.34 lbs
    C 0.0320 in. 16.18 lbs

When you use the J66 set on a standard 23" tenor guitar scale, you get this:

A 0.0100 in. 23.52 lbs
    D 0.0140 in. 20.53 lbs
    G 0.0220 in. 20.08 lbs
    C 0.0320 in. 18.73 lbs

That's what Daddario seems to think normal string tensions should be on the "typical" tenor guitar the J66 string set is designed for, and that's near to the 20 lbs. per string my luthier friend suggested as a ballpark figure.

So, your guitar is not my guitar. Your playing style is not mine. I don't perform on stage. But what sounds and plays nicely on my Kala KA-GTR tuned in Chicago-style DGBE is this:

E 0.0110 in. 13.79 lbs
    B 0.0150 in. 14.39 lbs
    G 0.0220 in. 17.34 lbs
    D 0.0320 in. 20.38 lbs

Four of the strings in the Daddario EJ26 set. (There are several nefarious uses for the remaining two strings...)

I hope this helps someone or, at least, serves as a starting place that more knowledgeable people can comment on.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleAxes For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Kala KA-GTR Tenor String Gauges and Tensions

Thanks for the interesting post, I am always trying to encourage folk to experiment with string gauges as they can make a world of difference to the overall feel and sound.
    The strings you have decided on are unusually light, more like tenor banjo tensions.
    I am on the look out for a second hand Kala but, they are not cheap in the UK.

Good post. We have similar backgrounds coming from baritone uke and 6 string so I play Tenor in DGBE also. I have a Kala and enjoy it very much. I like its scale length and tone in that tuning. After experimenting I use the following strings:

D .032w @ 20.5 lbs
    G .025w @ 22.2 lbs
    B .018 @ 20.5 lbs
    E .013 @ 19 lbs

Tensions calculated using Daddario formula. Tone and playing are very good. On my Kala the 20 lb/string rule of thumb works fine. Top behind bridge looks fine showing no undue stress.

5. The following members say thank you to Granger for this post:

fox 

Fox, I got my Kala used from Reverb.com for only $255 including shipping and the "premium" Kala case/bag. That was a good find since it turned out to be in perfect condition. I have to admit that I play rather softly and generally don't use a pick, so the light tension works for me.

Granger, I was pretty annoyed at Kala for not being able to supply any tension information whatsoever. The Kala is a very lightweight instrument, and I was concerned about the tensions. Ukuleles are very lightly braced and have thin tops so that they can sing out. The worst uke I ever owned was an Oscar Schmidt that was overbuilt like a tank. Since the Kala tenor is not much bigger than a baritone uke, I wanted to know if standard guitar rules of thumb applied or not. Kala gave me nothing.

I think the string gauges you calculated are the same ones I installed. On mine, the B and E strings felt pretty hard to fret, but there was also something odd going on with the intonation. With the lighter gauge strings, the intonation is spot on, and there's still plenty of volume. There's a lot of personal preference that goes into string selection, and experimentation is good. At least DGBE people with Kala KA-GTRs can use this discussion as a starting point.

Here is an exciting topic.
    I have just acquired my first tenor guitar and I chose this kala that seduces me well.
    I had made the same observations as you "Little axes".
    Would it be possible to hear the result.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by D0miuke View Post
    Here is an exciting topic.
    I have just acquired my first tenor guitar and I chose this kala that seduces me well.
    I had made the same observations as you "Little axes".
    Would it be possible to hear the result.
    Thank you
    D0miuke, I'd like to help you, but I do not understand what you are asking. I am now very happy with my KA-GTR. It seems that I am using lighter gauge strings than the two other responders.

I play my 23 inch scale Blueridge BR-60T tenor guitar in Chicago tuning (DGBE) and use John Pearse Bluegrass Phosphor Bronze strings (Set # 650). The string sizes are:

D 0.035
    G 0.024
    B 0.016
    E 0.012

I forget the tensions for the individual strings, but the total tension of the four strings is around 90 lbs. Blueridge assured me that 90 lbs. of tension would be fine and the guitar sounds great.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Little axes,

you make several good points and it is better to go a little lower on tension than risk damaging the instrument.
    Have you checked the string height over the first fret? If it is high (greater than .020) it will make a string at 20 lbs of tension feel hard to fret. I picked up an inexpensive set of feeler gauges that I use to fine tune the action on all my instruments. A couple nut files too. So I set the string height on the B and E at about .018, and the G and D at about .022. I set the bow on the neck using the truss rod to about .008-.010 at the seventh fret, and then adjust the saddle height so the string is .105 at the 12th fret. I can send more details on how to do this, and it is important that you do this in the proper sequence. Perhaps you already do this, but next to getting proper string gauges, fine tuning the action really helps playing easily and it also improves intonation by getting the strings as close to the fret board as possible without buzzing. If folks are uncomfortable doing this paying for a good setup is money well spent.

I measured the kala top using a micrometer and it is pretty thick, about .125 around the sound hole. Perhaps it has been thinned around the edges. A baritone uke might be around .090, depending on wood and bracing of course.

12. The following members say thank you to Granger for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAxes View Post
    D0miuke, I'd like to help you, but I do not understand what you are asking. I am now very happy with my KA-GTR. It seems that I am using lighter gauge strings than the two other responders.
    Sorry for my english, I just wanted to know if you have some records, mp3 or videos with this tuning.
    Hope it is clear enough

Super helpful post, just picked up a Kala tenor yesterday!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

15. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

fox 

Hi Jill, what tuning are you going to try?
    I have a couple of 21" scale tenors & use both GDAE & CGDA.

It was set up for GDAE tuning so I'm keeping it at that.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I hope this is not too far off target, but what gauges would you think appropriate for CGEA (tenor uke) tuning?

I might be able to work that out but what is the octave range? Is it 4 4 4 3?

Fox, if that question is addressed to GCEA question, I must admit I don't know what "octave range" is? Sorry.

OK I will try to find out but I think standard tenor uke tuning is G4 C4 E4 A4 but you want a low G.

Now I could be wrong with this and I am prepared to stand corrected but this is what I get based on a 21" scale.

A4 = .10p = 20lb E4 = .14p= 21.5lb C4 = .17p = 21lb G3 = .25w = 21lb.

I don't know what 3 x plain strings & one wound would sound like, you could try a wound .18w @ 23lb. for the C4.

Anyway that is what I get, it might be a useful starting point.

tHANKS fOX - i'LL WORK AT IT!