Thread: Ibanez AVT2E

Default Ibanez AVT2E

In looking for a new tenor I've seen a lot written about the Blueridge guitars, as well as Kala and Gold Tone. But not so much about the offerings from Ibanez. I'm particularly interested in their mini dreadnaught acoustic electric, the AVT2E.

Anybody have any experience or opinions about that model?

Default Re: Ibanez AVT2E

I like mine a lot. It is clear and balanced. The sonicore sounds great plugged in the xlr plug-in is neat. I cant compare to the kala or blueridge , but I just got an old harmony flat top which seems a little louder and punchier, but not as crisp; the bass is especially muddier. My Ibanez came set up with the action slightly higher at the saddle than I'd like, but the intonation near-perfect. It seems well built, I enjoy it.

3. The following members say thank you to StrangePickin for this post:

I have an AVT1, so same family but different body. It is very well built, came with good action. It did take a few weeks, maybe two or three, of playing to open up and exhibit more resonance and musicality. Out of the box it was a little thunky.

5. The following members say thank you to thx712517 for this post:

Glad this was asked as I am considering this model myself. I had taken a break from tenor guitar, and decided to get back into it. Was concentrating on my mountain dulcimer and 6 string guitars, and finally took the plunge and went acoustic electric with the 6 strings (a Zager, a Martin Ed Sheeran X and Epiphone Inspired by 1964 Texan), and since am now used to plugging in, thought would make sense to get something with the electronics I have gotten used to. I am wanting mine set-up for GDAD tuning so wanting to know if anyone has had there Ibanez set up in lower tuning as opposed to standard CGDA tuning. Any insights into that would be appreciated.

I have the Ibanez PFT2 which is the same size and shape as the AVT2E. I am very pleased with it overall and only paid $138 for it online. It is less fancy that the AVT2E and has a laminate top and no electronics. While I like the sound and playability of the Ibanez PFT2, I have often thought that the same guitar with a solid top would be that much better. Ibanez briefly marketed a non-electric version of the PFT2 with a solid top at a reasonable price, but they are few and far between. I also have a Kala KA-GTR tenor, and the solid top on it is definitely more active than the laminate top on my PFT2. The Kala is quite a lively guitar, as you might expect from a ukulele manufacturer.

Something to think about: The string spacing is definitely wider on the Kala than on the PFT2 with the strings on the Ibanez being quite close together. The PFT2 is slightly better for strumming, and the Kala is slightly better for picking or picking out notes as you strum.

I have not owned a Gold Tone or a Blueridge tenor, but with the AVT2E selling at $399, I would definitely be considering the low end Blueridge with the solid top UNLESS you definitely want the electronics in the AVT2E.

8. The following members say thank you to LittleAxes for this post:

I got my Avt2e for 340$ with a Reverb.com coupon code! I didn't know there were electronicless solid top out there, it'd be cool to play all 3 side by side. I'll also agree with thx these ibanezes seem to have a relatively quick opening up period. I actually noticed a slight color change in the finish(for the better, like when you oil dry wood) too so idk what's going on there.

Ibanez turns out some really nice instruments mixed in with all of the high production stuff. I also have a Lanikai S-B ukuele that I simply love. Some companies don't always get the respect they deserve, and I wish everyone would judge an instrument for its sound and playability as well as its label. Another term I don't hear much in instrument reviews is "value." When did that become a dirty word?

Blog Entries

I own both a AVT1 parlor and an old Martin OT18 tenor guitars. Both of them are different sounding beasts.... The Martin TG has a full rounded tone whereas the Ibanez parlor TG has a more nasal tone with less volume vis-a-vis. I wonder how they would compare with the AVT2E instrument.... Anybody has tried out comparing them? https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...hmentid=145823