Thread: Electrics Where to begin.

Default Electrics Where to begin.

Howdy. I am on that often suffers from mas. That was until I got my collings mt2. I can safely say that since then I have not even once felt the urge to even consider buying another mandolin. Electric mandolins are a whole nother story. Out of the blue I decided that my herd is missing an 8 string electric. Any good recommendations? How are the Eastwood mandocasters?

Thanks for your infinite wisdoms (and opinions)

Default Re: Electrics Where to begin.

I don't own an Eastwood so factor that into my opinion but I think they are a fine electric mandolin. I do own a Morgan Monroe MMT-1E Tele shaped electric and I like it a lot. The pickups could use an upgrade but the originals are OK for the amount of time I play plugged in. They are quite affordable on the used market at ~ $200. Then you have to start looking at amplifiers, stomp boxes, etc. Too much fun!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	152190

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

3. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

jazzjune18

I have had an Eastwood Mandocaster since they were introduced and it is a cost effective investment and fun to play. They are inexpensive on the used market. I would however highly recommend upgrading the tailpiece and and pickups as the originals are rather thin. Almuse (http://www.almuse.co.uk/mandolin_pic...ndocaster.html) makes a drop in pickguard assembly with pickups and pots that improves the instrument considerably. A new tailpiece will provide for better adjustment and intonation. A bit of set-up and fret dressing and the Eastwood will provide years of fun until MAS hits again and you need a Yanuziello!!!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I need a eastwood , i've been looking for a really good deal, i really don't need one , so I'm in no hurry here are some of my electrics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160806_141952-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	152195
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrylicshon For This Useful Post:

All. Thanks all for the great advice. I'm new in the electrics world. I will keep you updated on what I end up with. The east woods look to be a good way to "get in". Actually, my real plan is to pick one up used, play it for a while and use it as a template/comparison as I build my own. I did that with an octave mandolin and came out with a final product t better than the one I bought. I tried it with an archtop mandolin and was quickly humbled. .

I recently obtained an Eastwood Airline mandola and really like it. It was single strung when I got it but after putting a new 8-string set on it I was really pleased. A few years ago I had a Fender FM60E and hated it. Just not for me.