Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I have made peace with people who confront an Irish session with requests for music from LOTR or GOT. Mentally, I treat them like pets, actually: drop them off at some parking lot and drive away...
    Someone else's pets, obviously.

2. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Okay. One more irritant.

People who ask me for suggestions/guidance/help with an instrument/song/whatever and then argue with my suggestion/guidance/help.
    Oh my yes. I get this professionally (non musically) all the time. I am often called in to give a professional assessment/recommendation/opinion, only to find I was really brought in to confirm a prejudice. That is when I really earn my money.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

With respect to the two currently competing threads, I would rather be asked "what is that thing" than "what kind of music do you play?"

The first question is easy to answer, demonstrates some interest and curiosity, and indicates absolutely no expectations of what I should sound like (which puts me at ease).

The second question is pretty difficult to answer, seems to lead to genre-labeling quibbles, and can sometimes indicate an expectation (I guess, depending on the answer) that my sound will fit into a nice and tidy little box (which does not put me at ease).
    Bobby Bill

5. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

My wife recently said "I really am not in the mood for any of your gidely gidely music..." so I think that's what I'm going to use in the future when asked what do you play?

7. The following members say thank you to Lowlands Blue for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    With respect to the two currently competing threads, I would rather be asked "what is that thing" than "what kind of music do you play?"
    Same here. You'd think it would be easy for a fairly well-defined traditional genre, but to be accurate I'd have to say...

"Well, I play traditional Irish and Scottish dance tunes and piping tunes, and the related music from Cape Breton, Shetland, Breton... no, not the same as Cape Breton (explanation follows), but not that Riverdance stuff, or Irish drinking and rebel songs (another explanation follows)...

Meanwhile, the poor soul asking the question has already left the room. Or if they've managed to sit it out, they say "Oh, you play Irish music! I'm half Irish, I love that music. How about a round of Danny Boy?"

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I'm not even sure what to call what I play anymore. I don;t mind the question, I just wish I could answer it without sounding like a dolt.