Thread: What mics are these?

Default What mics are these?

Just wondering if anyone can tell what mics they're using in this video. I know one can't tell much from a video (like, for example if there are other boundary or over head mics, etc.), but they seem to get great coverage and sound from these two angled condensers.

Mitch Russell

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What mics are these?

Looks like Audix SCX-25A's

Nice mics. I had the pleasure of hosting Molly for a local concert last year and one of these was generously loaned from a friend. Suffice to say, Molly's "Gentle on My Mind" is gentle on the ears whatever mic you use!

By golly, I think you're right! A few others look similar, but that gold trim seems like Audix. I was really impressed by the clarity of the sound, both vocals and instruments. And it seemed to pick up well at a fair distance.

And, I'm on a Molly Tuttle kick right now. What a spectacular talent!
    Mitch Russell

yes, SCX 25s!
    I originally bought a pair to clamp into a closed-lid grand piano, they sound big, warm and smooth there, without almost any proximity effect (boomy sound when the sound source is really close).
    very nice as drum overheads and solo position mic in a big band situation as well.
    In our monthly bluegrass jam I use one as the only mic and it does a great job: plugged into the house system (PA would be a too big word for the tiny speakers installed there) through a dbx GoRack, we get a good loud, well balanced reproduction of the music on stage. It can even handle a close up loud vocalist (as they appear later during the evening) without popping noises or boominess very well.
    Not as fancy looking as an EarTrumpet mic (I like the sleek
    simple look) but excellent sounding and really effective...