Thread: Strings for a 1918 Gibson A4?

Default Strings for a 1918 Gibson A4?

Have slight top sinkage on the A4, any recommendations for light gauge strings to use?

Default Re: Strings for a 1918 Gibson A4?

Have someone look inside with a mirror and see if your brace is glued in properly, top sinkage could be due to the brace coming loose.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

My opinion only - if there is top sinkage I would not trust it on any strings. Get it fixed first. Once fixed, I would trust it on medium strings. Something like D'Addario J74s.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by 1939Dodge View Post
    Have slight top sinkage on the A4, any recommendations for light gauge strings to use?
    My experience is that most 70-100 yr old Gibson arch top mandolins have some top sinkage or flattening. All of mine (~5) do, but it appears to be long-since stable. If your bracing is tight and nothing has changed recently, I wouldn't be too concerned. Personally I take more concern in with the long-term stability (or flexibility) of the neck and FB relief - every one of my old mandolins has had a FB level and refret.

I have happily used bulk-set equivalents of D'Addario J74s (0.011, 0.014, 0.026, 0.040) for years on my vintage archtops (sometimes reducing to a 0.010 E string). My gripe with most available "light gauge" sets is that they go too light on G string (usually 0.034, fully 15% lighter than med.).

Lately on my 1915 A I have been using the equivalent of J73 (10, 14, 24, 38), which I am starting to like even better. I buy bulk single strings, but you can order these directly from D'Addario if you can't find them in a shop.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I use Thomastik Heavy strings, which are quite lighter then D'Adderio mediums (i.e., EXP-74s).

I've owned a 1920 A3 for 31 years. I keep mine maintained. As such, I've had the brace reglued and the neck straightened. The former about 15 years ago and the latter about 30 years ago. Both repairs have been perfect and held up well.

I don't quite understand the desire to play an instrument that needs repairs?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I agree J73s or their equivalent work well. Heavier strings don't allow for the oval hole sound to resonate as well. It was Carl Jones who told me he used strings of about that weight.
    Cary Fagan

8. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

JimY