Thread: Your Christmas / Holiday Shop-Related Wish List

Default Your Christmas / Holiday Shop-Related Wish List

So I thought I'd share what I've "hinted" would make a lovely wrapped box under the tree this year. None of the links below are sponsored, or endorsed in any way. Nobody gave me credit, free product, or the like for posting these. If they would like to, I'm all ears...

1. Lee Valley's 12MM "Instrument Maker's Plane"

This looks like it would be useful not only in mandolin and guitar-building, but also for some hull fairing for solid hull model ships, knocking back curves and edges for wooden toys, and the like.

2. Stanley's Sweetheart 750 Chisel Set

You've got to start somewhere, right? The only chisels I have right now are rough Stanley carpentry tools. They work just fine when sharpened per Paul Sellers' excellent advice. But the sizes are limited, and everyone I have spoken to says to get your chisels first. The hundreds-per-chisel German and other fancy stuff is way out of my league (and skill level, to be honest). These seemed like a compromise between reasonable investment, and reasonable quality.

3. Mr. McDonald's Bouzouki Book

This just gets quoted often enough in here that I think I should add it to my reading list, as I'm still working on Don Kalawek's Octave Mandolin kit. Don's instructions and pictures are top-notch, but I'm a pretty curious person, and Mr. Mc's Mando Project book was a truly great read.

4. Hiscock's Electric Guitar Book

Guitars will always be my first love, I suppose. And seeing what some guys do with their own solid-body tele's has me very interested...

5. Router and Router Table

This is the product, again, of a lot of research. Best in class? Maybe not - but seems to balance reliability, usability, and affordability for a hobbyist like myself. Happy to be steered clear of this brand, if folks have some bad experiences.

6. Lego Remote Control Volvo Loader

My son decided, on a recent expedition to the Lego store for a treat, that Daddy really, really needs this for Christmas. And that Daddy will really, really, need his help with it. You gotta admit - this would make cleaning up sawdust the most fun ever.

What's on your list?
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Default Re: Your Christmas / Holiday Shop-Related Wish List

What is up with the links? Why not link directly to the Amazon page?
    I have three boys, they would freak out over the Lego loader.

Hi Marty -

I just tried them. For some reason, there seems to be a redirect or something before it takes you to the amazon links. That's odd - I literally copied and pasted the Amazon links into the fields after hitting the "link" button on the forum text editor. I don't have any affiliate accounts, or the like, so I don't know why it would redirect. When I mouse over the links, it seems to indicate they go to Amazon directly.

Yes, my son is convinced life would be much more complete with such a device here!
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Let me try again - I used the "Share" button in Amazon, and then copied from there.

1. Lee Valley's 12MM "Instrument Maker's Plane"

2. Stanley's Sweetheart 750 Chisel Set

3. Mr. McDonald's Bouzouki Book

4. Hiscock's Electric Guitar Book

5. Router and Router Table

6. Lego Remote Control Volvo Loader
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Okay, that Lego loader is pretty cool!

I've been shouting up the chimney for a Gilchrist F5 for years but Santa's been ignoring me. Or I'm on the wrong list.

Does coal come in F5 shape?
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair