Thread: guitar bodied octave mandolin

Default guitar bodied octave mandolin

This one is due out this week -

Enjoy!

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/inst...itar-bouzouki/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Default Re: guitar bodied octave mandolin

Wow!!!!! Nice one...He's one lucky fellow Irishman!!!!! I've a funny feeling there's goin to be a lot of your instruments coming to this part of the world Nigel!!

John

Very nice. This would be just about my ideal gbom. I love the zouk you built Rob Badger, but too long a scale for me, as I mostly play tunes. Talking of which, I wish you had played some tunes in the vid!

Robbie

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

He's built them shorter I believe...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    Very nice. This would be just about my ideal gbom. I love the zouk you built Rob Badger, but too long a scale for me, as I mostly play tunes. Talking of which, I wish you had played some tunes in the vid!

Robbie
    Don't know any tunes Robbie, I can't play in GDAE to save me life. Not enjoy my Boney M - "Mary's boy" like? Been practising that for ages, in time for Christmas!

Aye, I've made a couple of shorter ones for a lad in the US, I felt they were too short, but he insisted...

I was referring to the length of Badgers, I think my ideal OM length would be 22". My Weber with that scale length is now becoming much easier to play- must be months of playing a 34" scale length bass!

I think you could be on to something there with your Boney M rendition, a much maligned Christmas classic I feel!

I was referring to the length of Badgers, I think my ideal OM length would be 22". My Weber with that scale length is now becoming much easier to play- must be months of playing a 34" scale length bass!

I think you could be on to something there with your Boney M rendition, a much maligned Christmas classic I feel!
    Yep, this one is 22". And for 4 courses this is the perfect scale for tune playing I recon - no big stretches and still plenty of punch. The first couple of weeks I had it strung up light (with 12s) as I had no 13s in the shop, and it was still superb. I built it with 13's in mind, but as I was saying to the lad who it's going to - he might want to experiment with the gauges before placing a bulk string order.

This is the first 22" scale I've made for ages and I have to say, I love it!

n

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I was referring to the length of Badgers

Matron!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Matron!
    Well, I've heard you are not Lord of the Badgers for nothing!!

Back to the main thrust of the thread- Nigel, i use pretty heavy gauge strings on my Weber oval hole OM- a 14 for the top, and a 50 for the bottom

Well, I've heard you are not Lord of the Badgers for nothing!!

Back to the main thrust of the thread- Nigel, i use pretty heavy gauge strings on my Weber oval hole OM- a 14 for the top, and a 50 for the bottom
    That's a bit macho Rob! Well, some instruments really need the extra force to get them going and some players enjoy a scrap, but most instruments I've played in the CBOM world tend to be over stiff in the top and under stiff in the body, so yes, heavies would make perfect sense under normal circumstances. The lad in Ireland the G-OM is off to uses 14-48s on hos old instrument. But that's now how I make 'em. He simply won't need to any more.

n

If you check out the classifieds you'll see Andy, the lad who ordered it has put the gzouk up for sale. You can see better photos of it here:

It's a real shame - I made exactly what he wanted, and as he says himself, it's a work of art. But he went to a session in Dublin a few weeks back and played one of my regular archtop bouzoukis. Instantly he realised he'd ordered the wrong thing. Bah. He much prefers the higher bridge of an archtop for his playing style.

Get in touch with him if you're seriously interested. It's almost new, is super loud and is a doddle to play. When he sells it he can place an order for a bouzouki with me to replace it.

Nigel