Thread: New Videos - Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash

Default New Videos - Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash

Each year I put in some time creating videos for the Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash, a benefit to make needed repairs to one of the oldest and most historic churches in Brooklyn - which used to be known as 'the Borough of Churches' before it became 'the Land of the Hipsters.' But beyond its history, Old First provides needed social services and support for the Arts.

Here's one from last year that I just got around to posting. Michael Daves with Sarah Jarosz, Brittany Haas (now in the Prairie Home Companion House Band), Tony Trischka, and Larry Cook. Extra points if you can cite the origin of this song - now destined to become a bluegrass classic!

This year's bash is Sunday October 30, 2016. Don't miss it if you can get to NYC! Great players include Critter Eldridge, Julian Lage, Michael Daves and Tony T. and more. Details HERE.

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Videos - Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash

Excellent! I will be in NYC that weekend and in fact recently changed my plans to stay Sunday night and leave Monday. I will be buying tickets as soon as the site you linked to is back up (it seems to have been affected in today's huge DDoS attack).

I've been to this bash the last couple years and it's really a fun event, non-stop mix of some great bluegrass talent and for a good cause. Unfortunately for me it's happening earlier this year and I'll be away.

I checked out Stargazer after listening to Michael Daves' new record last year, and the song is from a late 80'2 band called Mother Love Bone. Never heard of them before, but like Daves' uptempo version of the song.

5. The following members say thank you to Prelude for this post:

...and we have a winner! (on the origins of Stargazer!)

Next up is a more trad tune with the same line up. Another new release from 2015. Can't wait till Sunday - it's a great lineup this year, too.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Tony Trischka takes the lead on this tune of his. David Grisman played on the studio recording and, as you can hear, Sarah Jarosz had some fun with that! I LOVE this performance.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

FPhilMalin 

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Thanks for posting that video! I love how everyone starts chuckling when Sarah plays the classic Dawg licks at the start of her break. Great to see a band have so much fun playing.

It was a fun show again this year. Here's another video of TT from the 2015 Bash. An interesting note about tempo - like with a lot of great OT and Bluegrass players they give the impression of speeding up over the course of the song, or as solos trade off, but when I tapped along with a metronome, the tempo isn't really any different from beginning to end.

I'll start a new thread for videos from the 2016 event if folks are interested. The guitarists were strong this year, with Julian Lage, Chris Eldridge (who did a little mandolin picking!), and Courtney Hartman on her new Lawrence Smart 16" archtop.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

BeanzyMalin 

I was there for the beginning of the bash on Sunday. I had to head back to Manhattan pretty early, but I got to hear the Abby Hollander Band and Molsky's Mountain Drifters. While in NYC for the weekend I went to the season premiere of Jenufa at the Met, and a performance of Bruch's first violin concerto at the Philharmonic. But it was Molsky and his bandmates singing Billy Bragg's "Between the Wars" that moved me to tears. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	150871
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	150872

14. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Sounds like a fine cultural swing through NYC, Franc! I love the way those three sing the Billy Bragg song - which is thirty years old, but feels very 'of the moment'. It's up to the artists which songs I produce from this year's show, but Molsky already knows I love that one!
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Instead of starting a new thread for the 2016 (Fifth Annual) Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash videos - I'll just place them here for now. First out, Michael Daves, Tony Trischka and Friends. There's a promising young mandolin player, name of Chris Eldridge, on this super-fun and loose performance. Seems like there's ANOTHER 'Chris' in his regular band who hogs most of the mandolin solos... we all know how THAT is.

That's Courtney Hartman from Della Mae, sitting in w her new Lawrence Smart archtop, by the way. Not a traditional bluegrass box, that's for sure. But I like it!

Planning to produce half a dozen more videos from this festival in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by BradKlein; Dec-05-2016 at 1:06pm.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

lenf12Malin 

Another new video from the 2016 Bluegrass Bash. Critter's back, but on guitar this time with his duo partner Julian Lage. The boys take apart a BG instrumental standard, and put it back together again. I like it!

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Next up, is one from Bruce Molsky and friends, Stach Wyslouch and Alison de Groot. I've enjoyed watching these three from their first gigs together. Of course they were great from the start, but there's something about old-time musicians who really get their groove together...

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Joseph Scott plays mandolin with this version of the Abby Hollander band. A nice original honky tonk tune.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Another video of Courtney playing her sweet new Lawrence Smart archtop, this time solo. I just love this very sweet original song.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Anyone heard anything about the 2017 Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash? I am headed back to NYC again this year. Probably too much to hope for that the BBB would coincide with my visit this year, but I have my fingers crossed.

If this does not work out, any recommendations for acoustic music in Brooklyn or Manhattan the weekend of October 21-22?

I don't think that Bash dates have been announced yet.
    But on 10/21, Jacob Jolliff & bass player, Max Johnson are playing an early 7PM set at Rockwood Music Hall stage 2. That'll be good for sure.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Thanks Brad. I will definitely be checking out that Jacob Jolliff show. I love the early start time, and the venue will get me to a part of town I have not been to on my last few trips to NYC.

The Jolliff show looks great, but I can't seem to buy tickets online.

So, I am also looking at going to see the Knicks open the season at MSG but....

While I am a Red Sox fan, I am starting to think about how great it would be to be in NYC for the possible Yanks/Astros game 7 on Saturday (sorry Yankees fans, I am not trying to jinx the comeback).

Any recommendations for where to watch the game in NYC should they take it to game 7? I watched the 2003 ALCS game 7 in my hotel room in NYC (my wife and I were visiting from Boston; Wakefield is still my all-time favorite Sox pitcher). This time I am travelling solo, and I would love watch in a bar somewhere. Bonus points/extra credit if you could tell me where Astros fans might congregate in NYC for a game 7 situation....

I generally hate when a bluegrass band covers a rock song, but this one works surprisingly well. I'm also surprised that Mother Love Bone is considered obscure. Their story is a well documented part of Pearl Jam's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
    I generally hate when a bluegrass band covers a rock song...
    I agree Jim. Michael's double album on Nonesuch is really different from the many projects where bluegrassers cover well known rock songs or bands. I don't know how to describe it myself, but he, and a number of musicians from his generation, seems to cross genre boundaries in a much more fluid way. He's a bluegrasser, but when he plays electric it's not at all a 'novelty' thing. He hangs with serious alt-rock players (Kid Millions on drums) and holds his own.

BY THE WAY: The Brooklyn Bluegrass Bash is taking a year off. But for those who have enjoyed my video productions of that fundraiser over the past five years, there is some good news. The goal was to restore one of Brooklyn's oldest, and most historic churches. And that process is underway. So perhaps the BASH in Fall of 2018 will be held in that fantastic space, instead of the rock club that has hosted it since 2012. Can't wait to shoot and record in the church itself.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos