Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

Default Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

There's an enormous difference, in my mind anyway, between deliberately removing the varnish on the back of the neck -- to create a speed neck -- and haphazardly tearing up the top wood near the fingerboard through pickstrokes or finger-posting -- to create a worn, bald spot (or even a hole all the way through). The first is done purposefully, in a carefully controlled way, and looks fine (besides, violins also have the varnish removed in this area). The second is done by accident, and it's neither tidy nor well controlled. To my mind, it also looks terrible. Holes worn clean through the top may even require repair when things go too far (like on Jody Stecher's mandolin), and large areas of exposed, rough wood generally detract from the resale price of the more valuable instruments.

Willie Nelson's beat-up guitar would be pretty much worthless if it had belonged to some obscure player, instead of Willie. WSM's beat-up Loar would have been at the low end of the spectrum of Gibson F5s had it, too, belonged to an obscure player -- but then again, maybe no one would be clamoring for Loars!

Many of us don't like to lend our instruments to certain folks who don't play them very respectfully, and manage to leave serious dents and scratches, or buckle rashes, after only a short time playing. There are stories about folks (I seem to recall that Charlie Derrington was one, but the experts will correct me) who lent their Loar to WSM, in fact, only to regret it after the mandolin was returned with some serious abuse showing.
    Last edited by sblock; Oct-14-2016 at 6:52pm.

I had a very good guitar/mandolin player come into my shop with a hole in the top of his guitar from playing. He makes his living playing and this guitar was his road guitar for many years. He ask if I could fix it, when I said I could fit in some new wood he said" leave the hole". He had worn it in the top and wanted to keep it, but make it more stable, so that's what I did. He has a hole in his mandolin too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Don bought that mandolin at Gruhns several years back. A friend of mine played it while it was still there. He said once you play it, you forget about what it looks like, and that's what it's all about, now isn't? The sound and the feel.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Yeah, definitely not owned by Don since new. Heard him play it in a small room and had a good look at it myself. Fantastic instrument; it was the right tool for the duo with Billy, but since that page has turned, Don is evidently moving on.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

6. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I think it is more a case of some guys polish their shoes daily and keep them looking like new and some guys don't -- they just wear them.....to each his own.
    Sorry, but if I paid $18,500 for a pair of shoes, I'd want them polished.

A polished pair will cost you $25,000...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

One could spend the odd $6,500 on a tin of shoe polish.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don't consider wear, accumulated from using a tool for its' intended purpose, to be "damage".

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

I don't consider wear, accumulated from using a tool for its' intended purpose, to be "damage".
    My thoughts exactly. But then, I like the aesthetics of a DMM. I appreciate an instrument that looks like it's had an interesting life.
    Mitch Russell

Blog Entries

Sadly, most stringed instruments have taken on more importance for some solely for their resale value, not the making of music. That's never been what the Mandolin Cafe is all about. Mandolins are for making music. Their external condition has little if anything to do with the music. The life of a true professional road musician is not pretty. Instruments get damaged. Personally we believe the world is better off with more musicians making music and fewer collectors only concerned with the condition for resale.

15. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Using your tools hard, no matter the trade, is part of making good art. Collections aren't tools, they are museum pieces and have been deprived their intended use. That's not to say you have to beat up your tools to make good art, but take a look at the way those at the top of their field use their tools, and you'll start to see a correlation. Just my two cents.

On a personal level, I've never played a pristine instrument that I have liked better than it's well used, well worn twin.
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

I picked on it at IBMA. Dandy.

Armguard - nein
    toneguard - nein
    pickguard - nein
    Right Guard - jawohl!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Sadly, most stringed instruments have taken on more importance for some solely for their resale value, not the making of music. That's never been what the Mandolin Cafe is all about. Mandolins are for making music. Their external condition has little if anything to do with the music. The life of a true professional road musician is not pretty. Instruments get damaged. Personally we believe the world is better off with more musicians making music and fewer collectors only concerned with the condition for resale.
    Thanks for saying this. Assuming no damage to structural integrity then enjoy the mojo of this instrument. It was recently refretted by the maker. I am assuming he wasn't turned off doing routine maintenance on his creation. Take a look at Mike Marshall's Loar sometime.

I like Don's old Nugget a lot ... hop on it and enjoy the ride...no muss no fuss! Watch out for the curves though..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	150332  

It's only problem is that its' too young -give it another century or so and the awful wear will be valuable patina that you would be a criminal to remove or restore
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

I appreciate this in thought, but for my personal instruments I don't agree completely.

I am neither a collector nor do I expect to sell my instruments in my lifetime.

I play them hard, but I do like them to look nice. When I buy an instrument sound is first, but looks do matter also.

So with mandolins, I do add the easy things we've discussed here. For between $200 and $350 and just a little bit of time and effort, we can add the pickguard, armrest and toneguard to a multi-thousand dollar instrument and keep it looking, playing and sounding nice. These parts don't protect everything on the mandolin, but they do protect the contact areas.

I can definitely understand the other side of this, but for me, this is what works. The Nugget in question is far beyond me in price anyway, but if I were to buy it, I'd have a pickguard, armrest and tone guard on it before I began any serious performing with it. I'd make no effort to repair, but the armrest and pickguard would cover the biggest damage areas and would protect them from further damage.

-- Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I appreciate this in thought, but for my personal instruments I don't agree completely.

I am neither a collector nor do I expect to sell my instruments in my lifetime.

I play them hard, but I do like them to look nice. When I buy an instrument sound is first, but looks do matter also.

So with mandolins, I do add the easy things we've discussed here. For between $200 and $350 and just a little bit of time and effort, we can add the pickguard, armrest and toneguard to a multi-thousand dollar instrument and keep it looking, playing and sounding nice. These parts don't protect everything on the mandolin, but they do protect the contact areas.

I can definitely understand the other side of this, but for me, this is what works. The Nugget in question is far beyond me in price anyway, but if I were to buy it, I'd have a pickguard, armrest and tone guard on it before I began any serious performing with it. I'd make no effort to repair, but the armrest and pickguard would cover the biggest damage areas and would protect them from further damage.

-- Don
    That's fair, but I've been played mandolin daily since 1978 and have never employed a pickguard, armrest or tone-gard, and I've made a hell of a lot of music since and continue to this day. My ultimate sin, that horrible $35 Blue Chip I bought 8 years ago and still use. Damn, could have bought 25 $5 picks instead. Played music last week, will this week. Barring I don't wake up a month from now I'll continue doing the same. Unnecessary tools for me personally. I guess if people just want to hoist opinions in public that's fine. Never saw the need to myself. Really don't care what people use to make their music or what it looks like. That's what the Mandolin Cafe was founded on.

Don's mandolin was pretty much beat when he bought it, the guy gigs almost daily, traveled several hundred thousand miles with Billy Strings and played every major festival pretty much in the U.S. in the past 4-5 years. He probably put a few dents in it. Guys that work like that are not weekend warrior musician.

It's a fantastic instrument I've personally played. When I listen to his music, I spend not a moment wondering about the condition. If condition is your thing, go for it. I care not on opinions of this matter other than to marvel how worked up some of you get with your opinions and criticism of others for doing what they wish with their own property. Carry on.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I acknowledge Scott's point, but that would hold if wear was unavoidable. A few hundred years ago violins suffered wear under the chin, so chin rests became popular. Almost no one would play a violin without one now. Similarly, the upper bout tends to lose varnish from hand contact, so many players of stringed instruments add some contact-adhesive clear plastic to protect it.

The unavoidable wear on a violin now is mainly the fingerboard, which is regularly maintained by planing, and is replaceable, as well. It should be the same on a mandolin. The place you have to touch is the fingerboard, and the frets can be replaced. On all stringed instruments, some wear on the neck is expected, and violins usually have no varnish there, only a sealer.

Don Julin's mandolin has wear in exactly the places where it is completely preventable, so it is a shame to see. An armrest and a pickguard would have preserved the wood. I don't care about varnish, but when it goes, so does the wood.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I agree that the mandolin is the tool we use to make music, I agree that musician should have them to play more than collectors need them to look pretty and make them money. But if you look at the mandolin in question a $100 pick guard would have prevent 80% or more of the damage to the face of it. To me that is just taking care of your tools. If you was an excavator would you not service your dozer and change the oil occasionally? A craftsman should respect his tools. I know there are some "rock stars" that bash their guitars, and Ira Lovern was known to bash his mandolin if he couldn't get it in tune to suit him. I personally think less of them and their talant if they don't respect the tool of their trade.

Just saw the post before mine, he said about the same thing almost a double post sorry his was posted while I was typing
    Last edited by Mandoplumb; Oct-15-2016 at 10:39am. Reason: Saw last post

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I agree that the mandolin is the tool we use to make music, I agree that musician should have them to play more than collectors need them to look pretty and make them money. But if you look at the mandolin in question a $100 pick guard would have prevent 80% or more of the damage to the face of it. To me that is just taking care of your tools. If you was an excavator would you not service your dozer and change the oil occasionally? A craftsman should respect his tools. I know there are some "rock stars" that bash their guitars, and Ira Lovern was known to bash his mandolin if he couldn't get it in tune to suit him. I personally think less of them and their talant if they don't respect the tool of their trade.

Just saw the post before mine, he said about the same thing almost a double post sorry his was posted while I was typing

With regard to that analogy, changing the strings and maintaining the setup and frets would be the equivilant of changing the oil. I doubt the excavator would add a plastic guard to prevent scratches on the dozer blade.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With regard to that analogy, changing the strings and maintaining the setup and frets would be the equivilant of changing the oil. I doubt the excavator would add a plastic guard to prevent scratches on the dozer blade.
    I would if $100 would protect my machine without any adverse effect.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Maybe not. I'll almost guarantee you though that any dozer you see with wide white walls will also be sporting curb-feelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    A craftsman should respect his tools.

32. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

I've heard Don play this particular mandolin and it's a good one. With that said, I'm a Nugget fan and love that end of the sound spectrum that Nuggets fill. If I'm not mistaken, it was built in '79. I don't think that all these accessories that we take for granted now were readily available back then. The internet has allowed so many niche markets to flourish, and as consumers we now have so much more available to us than we did even 10 years ago.

The mandolin is what it is. If you want a new/near min Nugget, you're looking around $25G. If it has the sound you want, I think the price reflects the condition. If I had the money and was in the market for a Nugget, I'd look very hard at this one.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

some say this smothers episode was where things started going bad with pete's hearing...little respect those boys had for their gig kits... townsend gets lambasted pretty hard by the tnt in the kicker drum. entwistle's like 'please don't mess up my new vox! They sure made great music, all-time favorite band.