Thread: 22.5" fifths tuned solid body

Default 22.5" fifths tuned solid body

I have a mini-Strat kicking around I'd like to convert to something tuned in fifths. It should accommodate a .056" low string, so a low C is doable. I'm. It opposed to cutting a new nut, but I'd rather I'd rather not dump a ton of cash into it.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: 22.5" fifths tuned solid body

I'd be tempted to go with FCGDA at that scale and either double up on the 6th string or forget about it. Great for chording and goes almost as low as a guitar (the F is just below the G on an octave mandolin. Capo up for GDAEB at a shorter scale. Paul Lestock (Arrow) makes a lovely jazz tenor guitar at around this scale I believe and I'm in the process of making a new 5-string neck with a 22" scale for a parlor guitar in this tuning. Have fun & let us know how it goes.

PS. Also check out Grandpa Banana (Lowell Levinger) who plays a 5-string tenor in this tuning

Wow, I spent so much time tuning my guitars lower, I never thought of tuning it high. Thanks. I'll go with the doubled A, or maybe put the thinnest string on the low side so I can do banjo rolls.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Un deletable, so see revised V_V_V
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

with low tension strings get pushed off the edge of the finger board on the low end.

Lowell played His Custom Giacomel 5 string at the TGG a few years ago Here.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Though that's what they may call it, a 22.5" scale, it isn't a "Mini" strat, imo. That same scale length is advertised as 7/8 and (falsely) as 3/4 size.

You'd need to be 3.5" shorter for "mini" status. The standard Strat scale is 25.5. 7/8 of that = 22.3". 3/4 = 19-1/8"

Remove the low 6th string bridge hardware (and maybe the headstock tuner too). Bottom string , tune it to G, octave below a mando. I'd tune the thing GDAea - it has advantages over GDAeb which you'll notice if you work with both.

Since you are stuck with that neck, I would capo it to a 19" or 20" scale. (I shortened my 19" scale neck mini to 17" years ago, but today I think I'd stick with 19" and deal with the wider stretches and modified fingering in open position for the trade-off of better sonics on the bottom end.)

If you are gonna stay with 22.5", you might as well keep it in guitar tuning which will be superior when playing rhythm riffs, chords, etc. At 22.5" the open position stretches for chords, etc are going to prove counterproductive unless you got bit hands/long fingers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf Guitar.detailsSmall.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	150122click photo to enlarge