Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Various Artists" Irish Mandolin Compilation

yeah, big party at Dan's pad. I'm up for that! Wreck the joint!

Looking good Aidan, well done!

Kevin

Another few tracks have arrived, so the line-up at present is:

1. Tom Walsh (Ireland) - Mandola Jig/Queen Of The Fair
    2. Fred Johnson and friends (Ireland) - The Clergy's Lamentation
    3. Bruce Burnside (USA) - The Out and About Jig
    4. Corey Ticknor (Canada) - Asturias/Gavin Baird's/Grand Marais
    5. Dagger Gordon (Scotland) - Sweet Biddy Daly/The Banks Of Lough Gowna/Jackson's
    6. Ewan McPherson (Scotland) - Reels
    7. Bill Perry(USA) and Patrick Hornig (USA) - Captain O'Kane
    8. Hom Bru (Shetland) - The Galway Hornpipe/The Poppy Leaf
    9. Kevin MacLeod (Scotland) - Old Toasty/Sabhail Iain Ic Uisdean/Roddie McLeod, Polbain/Lord MacDonald
    10. Dan Beimborn (USA) and Tim O'Brien - The Lark In The Morning/The Kesh Jig
    11. The Buckhannon Brothers (USA) - Seamus O'Brien
    12. Steven Lawrence (Scotland) - Tommy Kane's/Amber And Steel
    13. Billy Parker (USA) - Cuckoos Nest/Bill's Monroe/Staten Island
    14. John McGann (USA) - The Stage Hornpipe/The Western Hornpipe
    15. Rig The Jig (Ireland) - Goin' The Wrong Direction
    16. Mike Black and Three Bean Salad (USA) - St. Ruth's Bush/Dick Gossip's/The Cup Of Tea
    17. Luke Plumb and Kevin MacLeod (Scotland) - O'Carolan's Draught/The Log Cabin/Bean A' Ti Ar Lar
    18. Nigel Gatherer (Scotland) - The Warlocks/Hatton Burn
    19. Dave Firestine (USA) - Coleman's March/Bank Of Turf/Killavil/Frank's Reel
    20. Fred Wilkinson (Scotland) - Gairsay
    21. Dick Glasgow (Ireland) - Halfhanged MacNaughten/The Toastrack
    22. Dan Beimborn (USA) and Mark Conyard (Ireland) - The First Of October/Gan Ainm/The Foxhunter's (must ask Dan for the title of the second tune in the set)
    23. Allan McDougall (Scotland) - Da Slockett Light

In addition, I have promises of tracks at this stage from a number of people. I'm greatly looking forward to receiving these.

However ... I haven't closed the books on this as yet ... so, a final appeal for assistance.

(Forgive the capitals ... trying to make the point!)

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT A TRACK TO THIS PROJECT, PLEASE DO SO BY 14TH OCTOBER.

I'LL ACCEPT TRACKS IN THE POST ... ADDRESS FOLLOWS ... OR BY EMAIL (aidan@paythereckoning.com or aidananita@se13.freeserve.co.uk).

ALTERNATIVELY, IF YOU HAVE ANY ACQUAINTANCES/FRIENDS WHO YOU CONSIDER WORTHY OF INCLUSION IN THIS PROJECT, WOULD YOU PLEASE DRAW THIS THREAD TO THEIR ATTENTION AND URGE THEM TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME.

I'll post a little later on the launch party thing! I've been thinking ... (dangerous!).

Aidan

2nd tune is humors of whiskey
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

PS ... please note above that Dan has given me permission to reveal that on "The Lark In The Morning/The Kesh Jig", he's joined by none other than Tim O'Brien. I've been a tad coy about this to date; Tim's recording contract is very specific about how he's credited for guest appearances and I didn't want to upset any applecarts!

I've also taken the opportunity to tidy up some of the artist credits, tune titles, etc, now that we're approaching the final furlong.

Aidan

Dan ... as quick as lightning, eh?! Many thanks!

Aidan

Thanks Aidan. Tim is a guest artist on my upcoming CD. It would not be correct for me to promote my CD as his project, which of course would be rightfully much more visible in the record shops than my own! Tim is a wonderful chap, and I'm very grateful to him personally as well as to his record label for the fact that he was able to join in on some tracks with me!

Interesting trivia: I played the Schultz Loar on that track against Tim's new Nugget O'Brien signature model just before handing it back to Jack before flying back to the USA..
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Quote Originally Posted by (kmmando @ Sep. 27 2005, 11:32)
    yeah, big party at Dan's pad. I'm up for that! Wreck the joint!

Looking good Aidan, well done!

Kevin
    Not sure how many we could fit, but I think that would be doable
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Dan ...

No need to worry ... I've already had an offer from Lewisham Irish Community Centre to host a launch party in London.

Of course, I completely understand that the Scottish contingent would like to celebrate their involvement in the project as well.

So, perhaps Dagger and Kevin could get their thinking caps on and suggest a venue? #It needn't, of course, be a grand affair. #I'd be as happy to see a launch in a sympathetic pub or some such venue. #I'd be delighted to travel up for the weekend and spend a night or two in Scotland and catch a few tunes while I'm there.

As for our contributors across the pond ... help! #I don't think, with the best will in the world, I'll have the budget to do anything in USA or Canada. #Never say never, of course, but best to be realistic!

However ... all of that's very much for the future ... there are a rake of chores to be done before then. #I suspect that gathering in the material, watching the stock of beautiful tracks gradually develop is the fun part of the pre-launch phase. #I imagine that the next phase - i.e. having the material professionally mastered and copied to CD will be less fun!

But I'm definitely up for a launch party or two!

Aidan

A number of items to update ...

Firstly, since I last posted on this topic, John McGann has very kindly submitted another track for inclusion on the CD. A jig set, "Shetland Jumper/Message From Home/Wise Up Grumpy", the tunes come from John's 1994 album, Upslide. Now out of print, John has indicated that the album may well get a re-release next year, with transcription books for both mando and guitar!

Secondly, Dagger Gordon has indicated that he's contemplating submitting a set of reels to accompany the stunning jig set that he's already submitted. Looking forward to receiving that, Dagger!

Thirdly, two potential contributors - Stefan Paz and Roger Landes - have expressed an interest in recording material for inclusion in the CD. This is very exciting news ...

Finally ... it would appear that towards the end of October Dan, Kevin and I (and a host of others!) may be able to get together for a night of music in London. Watch this space for details. If the night comes off (and I hope it does!!), I'll post pictures, etc. on the web. And ... there's a possibility that we'll record the session and maybe include one or two sets on The Glass Slipper.

You will, of course, be kept up to date here ... so keep reading the thread!!

Aidan

PS you will have noticed that I've been selling a few of my CDs on eBay as a means of generating a little cash to help this project along. A few people have expressed concern that I'm in need of some serious financial assistance. Some (I'll name no names to spare blushes ... but you know who you are!) have even offered to fund some of the project out of their own coffers, or to make advance orders for copies of the CD. I very much appreciate these exceptionally generous offers, but the reality is that I'm quite able to fund the project. I merely wanted to have a little bit of ready cash to hand for incidentals over the course of the next few months!

But let it be known ... no names ... there are members of the mandolin community who are generous beyond words and I'm deeply touched by their willingness to support a fellow enthusiast!!!!

AC

Aiden said, "...John McGann has very kindly submitted another track for inclusion on the CD. A jig set...from John's 1994 album, Upslide. Now out of print, John has indicated that the album may well get a re-release next year..."

Good news, John. Good album.
    Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland

Isn't it great how things accelerate at the last minute?

Just had two emails - one from Brian Taheny, originally from Sligo and now resident in Toronto and one from Denis McAuliffe, a young (18) mandolinist from County Clare - promising more material.

Brian says he'd like to submit a set of good Sligo tunes; my reply ... are there any other kinds of Sligo tune???!!!

Blog Entries

I am really looking forward to this project!

(BTW, I spent much of the night listening to Humours of Lewisham, Vol. 3. Fantastic playing Aidan.)
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Jason ... very kind words.

Many thanks.

I'm sure you'll be the first to agree that my CDs are far from the best recordings of mandolin ever made. My skills on the instrument are in their infancy as yet and as for my abilities to drive a recording console ...!

But I've sweated blood over those recordings ... snatching a day here or there to blitz through them ... perhaps not the ideal recording strategy, but when you've got a day job to hold down, sometimes you have to do what you can.

And therefore it's so pleasing to hear someone give them a kind review.

You've put a lift in my step and no mistake.

Go raibh mile maith agat, a chara!

Aidan

Ok folks ...

The latest update. (Hope that all this updating isn't becoming tedious for you all! I kind of thought it might be nice to give everyone an insight into how things are developing. However, someone holler if it's all becoming too much!)

I've recorded my submissions for the CD. Despite what I'd planned, when faced with the task in hand, I recorded two completely different tracks from those I thought I'd tackle. Both of my recordings are solo mandolin ... no accompaniment, no safety net. And therefore, pretty much warts and all.

I'm also (cheekily) including two tracks by an acquaintance of mine, Mark Nangle, a multi-instrumentalist and singer from County Armagh, now resident in Australia. I'm pretty confident that Mark will give permission for these to be used and so I include them below.

You'll note that there are a number of "reserved" slots ... these are held for those tracks which have been firmly promised but haven't yet materialised. However I thought that by including the artists' names, some more shape is given to the project.

5. Dagger Gordon (Scotland) - Sweet Biddy Daly/The Banks Of Lough Gowna/Jackson's
    9. Kevin MacLeod (Scotland) - Old Toasty/Sabhail Iain Ic Uisdean/Roddie McLeod, Polbain/Lord MacDonald
    13. Billy Parker (USA) - Cuckoos Nest/Bill's Monroe/Staten Island
    16. Mike Black and Three Bean Salad (USA) - St. Ruth's Bush/Dick Gossip's/The Cup Of Tea
    17. Luke Plumb and Kevin MacLeod (Scotland) - O'Carolan's Draught/The Log Cabin/Bean A' Ti Ar Lar
    22. Dan Beimborn (USA) and Mark Conyard (Ireland) - The First Of October/The Humours Of Whiskey/The Foxhunter's
    24. Aidan Crossey (Ireland) - Hector The Hero
    25. Aidan Crossey (Ireland) - The Walls Of Liscarroll/An t-Athair Jack Walsh
    26. Mark Nangle (Ireland) - Hewlett/The Munster Cloak
    27. Mark Nangle (Ireland) - Give It The Diddy
    28. RESERVED Brian Connolly (Ireland) - O'Carolan Tunes to be confirmed
    29. RESERVED Roger Landes (USA) - to be confirmed
    30. RESERVED Dagger Gordon (Scotland) - Reels to be confirmed
    31. RESERVED Brian Taheny (Ireland) - Sligo tunes to be confirmed
    32. RESERVED Denis McAuliffe (Ireland) - to be confirmed
    33. RESERVED London mando session "live" - to be confirmed
    34. RESERVED London mando session "live" - to be confirmed

Regarding those last two "reserved" slots.

It would appear that towards the end of October, Kevin MacLeod will be down in London for a few days and Dan Beimborn and myself are planning to meet up with him for a few tunes and a few beers. Once the exact details are worked out, I will, of course let you all know for the intention is to have a bit of a session to which all are welcome. We're planning to record the session and I'm hoping that we'll have sufficient tunes in common to issue a couple of live sets on the CD, which hopefully capture the informality and playfulness of the session environment.

Watch this space for further details as they emerge.

Many thanks to one and all for contributing and for taking the time to follow this project's trajectory!

Aidan

OK ... last update for today ... honest!

Dagger Gordon has just confirmed the names of the tunes he plans to submit and I've just had a firm promise of a set of jigs from John Boyce (backed by Eamonn McElholm of Solas on guitar!).

So ... the up-to-date list at the time of writing is:

13. Billy Parker #(USA) - Cuckoos Nest/Bill's Monroe/Staten Island
    22. Dan Beimborn (USA) and Mark Conyard (Ireland) - The First Of October/The Humours Of Whiskey/The Foxhunter's
    24. Aidan Crossey (Ireland) - Hector The Hero
    25. Aidan Crossey (Ireland) - The Walls Of Liscarroll/An t-Athair Jack Walsh
    26. Mark Nangle (Ireland) - Hewlett/The Munster Cloak
    27. Mark Nangle (Ireland) - Give It The Diddy
    28. RESERVED Brian Connolly (Ireland) - O'Carolan Tunes to be confirmed
    29. RESERVED Roger Landes (USA) - to be confirmed
    30. RESERVED Dagger Gordon (Scotland) - Farewell To Connaught/John Brennan's (aka The Silver Spire)
    31. RESERVED Brian Taheny (Ireland) - Sligo tunes to be confirmed
    32. RESERVED Denis McAuliffe (Ireland) - to be confirmed
    33. RESERVED London mando session "live" - to be confirmed
    34. RESERVED London mando session "live" - to be confirmed
    35. RESERVED John Boyce (USA) - The Maid At The Spinning Wheel/The Coleraine Jig

By the way ... Dagger remarked on the fact that while he is best known for his playing of Scottish material, he'd elected to play two sets of Irish tunes for this compilation. #Whereas despite my earlier whinging some time ago about the fact that there were less Irish players and less Irish material than I'd expected, I decided to record a Scottish tune (Hector The Hero). #I could be poncey and claim that this decision was a tribute to the good Scottish people (you know who you are!) who rushed to my assistance when this project was a mere gleam in my eye. #However ... you'd see through all that baloney in ten seconds. #Naw ... fact is, Hector is just a cracking tune and sits very nicely on the mandolin.

The irony is a nice by-product!!

Aidan

Aidan, I'm definitely in London next Wednesday, getting together with Dan, and hoping to have a tune with you somewhere convenient to us, somewhere that won't throw us out on our hurdies! I hope you're free, and bring a recorder of some sort along - you never know what we might get! Look forward to meeting up for a pint. Alec is coming in on thursday for the Noel Hill cd launch in Camden Town, so won't be around that evening, unfortunately.
    Til then, Slainte Kevin

Pity about Alec.

I'm sorry I've been a bit slack about arranging a venue for the Wednesday night ... some family troubles back in Ireland which required my presence for a few days. I explained to Dan this afternoon.

Anyway ... I've now got a venue sorted out.

Tommy Flynn's, Camden High Street. They're expecting us at 8.00ish and the guv'nor has even promised a few free pints!

I'm going to kick off a new thread with details on this one ... headed One-Off Mandocentric Irish/Scottish Trad Session, London, UK ... the details might get lost in this thread.

See you Wednesday. And no bother about his lordship ... if I'm not too seedy after the Wednesday night affair, I'll likely go to the Noel Hill gig in any event.

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on this lately ... still waiting for two tracks which I've been faithfully promised and without which the project won't be complete. So keep an eye out for an update in one or two days' time ...

hello aidan, its lookind good mate, i'm really looking forward to it , all the best lawrence.

hello aidan, its lookind good mate, i'm really looking forward to it , all the best lawrence.

Great project, looking forward to it being available to the public...disapointed though that you will not have a David Surette (USA) track.
    Dave

How are things going, Aidan?
    David A. Gordon

Smile

I'm very anxious to order this!!!
    thepurecanada.com

the anticipation is building.

I'm truly looking forward to the availability.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Very cool...my wife is Dick Glasgow's cousin.
    She was there visiting over the summer and had the opportunity to jam with Dick, his wife, and assorted characters at a local pub.
    They even took the time to make a video of the jam session. It was a great time had by all.

pic
    Semper Fidelis