Thread: Octave Mandolin purchase

Default Octave Mandolin purchase

Hi,

It has been a long time since my last post, but I know this is my best source for good information.

I'm probably going to look at a used Paul Hathway OM. I drove around to a few music shops, and it appears the only OM's I'm likely to find for comparison are inexpensive imports.

I'm sitting in the $600-1000 range in terms of budget, and I'm comfortable buying used. I would like an instrument for flatpicking jigs, reels, and other fiddle tunes. I also sing, so I will probably adapt at least a few guitar tunes to it. I'm not looking for loud, cutting banjo killer type tone. A little warmth with sustain is more my speed. I play mostly by myself.

The Hathway may be just the thing. Otherwise, the Sawchyn Beavertail OM looks attractive online. But I would have to buy online without auditioning it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Octave Mandolin purchase

Hathway is a decent moderately priced maker in London, UK. Have you played this instrument?
    David A. Gordon

I have not, but I am hoping to play it this weekend.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I used to have a Hathway OM... it was a decent instrument and a good price.

Blog Entries

Hi Chuck!
    We met very briefly about 5 years ago in Niles, CA at Michael McNevin's Mud Puddle Shop, where you did a wonderful show.
    I have since moved to the UK and have acquired a Hathaway octave mandolin.
    Mine is a model 1 (no binding) with a headway pickup.

The tone is very good. Deep in the bass, rich, resonant, and clear on the highs without being thin or shrill. The headway is an active (powered) pickup and Paul mounts them at the bottom of the bridge so that they contact the top rather than the saddle. It makes for an excellent stage instrument and records well too.

One of the features I like is the short scale (19"). I can play fiddle tunes without changing technique (using my pinky more and reassigning the fingers to different frets than mandolin). It's just a matter of stretching and warming up properly.

One caveat I will mention. Mine desperately needed set up work. I spent about £100 sorting that out with luthier AJ Lucas in Lincoln. Now the action is good all the way up the neck and it's more comfortable to play.

I've used it on my first CD, More Than a Little Guitar, and on my second CD as well. (Still mixing that one.) I'll be happy to send you either a physical copies or wav files electronically. If you're interested, just send me a PM here and we can work out the details.

Best,
    Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks! That's a lot of help. I'm hoping I get to try this one out.

I'll send a pm with my email. I would love to hear the CD!

Check out zouki maker James bunting of Enfield Connecticut. you might be able to get him to make you one or barter one for you PM me if you need his contact information

Peter Sawchyn (Regina, Saskatchewan) has a good web site and lists prices in $CDN, so in $US, pretty reasonable. He builds both OMs and zouks in his Beavertail line (resemble the old Flatiron pancakes), all high quality materials and workmanship, and if you're willing to wait a bit, he will custom build the neck length for you. I had a Beavertail OM and it was a nice sounding instrument -- I sold it as I also have a carved top OM built by him and didn't need two!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Thanks! What do you get with the carved top tone that is different than the Beavertail?

I bought the Hathway. Cedar top and really rich, warm tone like I had hoped. The body looks like it might be rosewood. It is stained like a rosewood on a guitar, but the grain/figure is a little different.

Thanks for the help!

Daniel, I also got your music and am very much looking forward to listening this week! Thank you!

Blog Entries

Cool.
    Well I hope you enjoy both the albums and the Hathaway!

Keep me posted!

Daniel

Hathways are great, I have a B3 Bouzouki (that needed no set up on delivery).
    The back and sides are mahogany stained down to a rosewood color.