Thread: Scott Gates

Default Scott Gates

For those of you who wondering where that nine-year-old kid went to, Scott Gates is still alive and well and playing mandolin both in his band the salty suites as well as with numerous bands across the country. Below is a clip from a recent performance…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtBg1...ient=mv-google
    Andrew J Gates

2. The following members say thank you to Manzolin for this post:

Default Re: Scott Gates

https://youtu.be/IaWrLTTyyMI

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Scott Gates

Thread Bump:

My band played the recent Temecula Valley Bluegrass Festival March 23-25 and Scott Gates was there with his band Salty Suites, and as a member of The Get Down Boys. I've known Scott for about 5 or 6 years, and he's always had a smile, a handshake, and a ready and willing down to earth disposition. He never hesitates to let anyone play his Michael Lewis F5, which now is showing natural distressing from the wear of being a gigging instrument for a working pro for many years.

I attended the workshop that Scott taught on mandolin, all 4 of us in attendance, and it was one of the best instruction sessions I've attended that was focused on the basics of bluegrass mandolin. Scott never hesitates to answer questions, and I'll never forget when after I had owned my 94' Gibson F5L for about 8 months, that I got to hear him play it for me standing about 3 feet in front of me. That was the epiphany moment for me on just how good my mandolin was; and how it could sound with the right person picking it and pulling tone: Scott's right hand technique is scary! And why not? This guy was in the kid-phenom conversation with Sierra Hull and others back in the day as the "next" Chris Thile.

Scott is still doin his thing in SoCal, and can be found on Facebook.

You're as likely to find Scott performing a Vivaldi Concerto at a venue with Evan Marshall, or onstage at a festival with The Get Down Boys, or busking at the local Ralph's Grocery Store chain!

Dude is an artist!

1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel