Thread: The Beatles

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default The Beatles

Indulging in a little hero worship and nostalgia today; watching the live facebook feed of Paul, Ringo and Ron Howard before the premiere of Eight Days A Week the film. Cool stuff
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Default Re: The Beatles

Seeing a thread titled "The Beatles" was enough to make me smile.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

4. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Blog Entries

Always fun to hear of this group! Paul ringo John George they were the best.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pasha Alden For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha Alden View Post
    Always fun to hear of this group! Paul ringo John George they were the best.
    it's John,Paul,George and Ringo always was,and will always be (sorry Paul) will now listen to vinyl mono
    Sgt Pepper

8. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

I didn't like The Beatles when i first heard them.They made their TV debut on a UK evening news programme 'People & Places',dedicated to news from the North West of England. It was on between 6.30pm & 7.0 pm & they appeared on a Friday night. I was the DJ at my local church youth club which was held on Friday & Sunday nights. When we opened that Friday night,everybody was talking about the Beatles. I remember that they played ''Love Me Do'' but i couldn't see what all the fuss was about,other than that they had 'for that era',long hair. Anyway,as they say 'the rest is history'. They released one song which i really did like (i can't remember which one of course),but i began to take notice of their music. Each song that they released was so different than the last,that as soon as a song was released,i was already waiting for the next one.

Most of the songs as you'll know, were penned by 'Lennon & McCartney' - just ''which one put how much into each'',we don't really know. But i loved them. However,after The Beatles split,i never liked anything by Paul McCartney & i loved everything by John Lennon,something i still can't understand. If they were both so good 'together',why the huge difference when they were separate . I'd have thought that Paul McCartney would have written at least one song that i liked !.

I'll await the arrival of this new film on DVD & i will buy it. For me,their music still seems as alive & fresh as it did 50 years ago,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I'd have thought that Paul McCartney would have written at least one song that i liked !.
    And if he had, it definitely would not be Ebony & Ivory, his bathetic duet with Stevie Wonder. It's a song that always makes me want to howl like a basset hound.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

12. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

Never heard a basset howl.How can the ebony and ivory be in harmony? Ebony keys are sharp.McCartney and Lennon songs are so different.Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields.

14. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Many of the songs that were attributed to Lennon & McCartney were actually fully written by just one of them, but they had an agreement to put both names on a song. For instance "And I Love Her" was entirely a McCartney composition. The percentage of contribution by each waxed and waned on each song. But I think it was the synergy of all four band members that made each song so spectacular as a whole.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nashville For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

They came to my home town but I was only 4 years old at the time & even though I was with my family to meet them at the airport I cant actually remember seeing them!
    John got up to some kinky stuff after the show.......

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/08...dens-guernsey/

18. The following members say thank you to fox for this post: