Thread: Gibson EM-200 tuned like a mandola?

Default Gibson EM-200 tuned like a mandola?

So, I'm thinking of putting mandola strings on my EM-200. Just to get a lower, more guitar like sound. Has anyone tried this? Or know if it would work? I find I don't use the E string much with the music I play. Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson EM-200 tuned like a mandola?

Sure it would work. Johnny Gimble tuned CGDA. I like .056, .040, .024, .014 for 14" scale like my 5-string.

Bridge compensation might be an issue. A straight line bridge is ok, but individual adjustment best.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I made that very switch about three years ago for the very same reason and am very happy with the result. You definitely have to have a new bridge saddle for proper compensation and then may have to mess with string gauges to make the new CC courses sound and feel right. PM me and I can give you a bunch of info based on what I learned in the process. A note, though...it will not make the mando sound more like a guitar at all, but rather a deeper voiced mandolin.

I am in St Paul. And was born in Duluth....still have relatives up in Piedmont Heights and up off 61 on French River.

The EM-200 has a straight-across brass saddle which (at least on mine) drove me crazy with an incessant ringing. I tuned my to standard but replaced the top with a regular ebony compensated saddle. I think it sounds better. it might even sound better with the lower tuning. Try it and let us know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Another thing you can have some fun with is to go down to 4 strings....especially with an electric.

I got a 4 string converted EM150, the C offset is further back so you may need a custom made bridge piece ..

the Shop that did mine (bought as such had a Tune-O-Matic style brass Bridge for it, (wood base)

C is an .050" ... other 3 Just mandolin shifted over . so Intonation offset shifted with them.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture