Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ribbon Mics

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ribbon Mics

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I cant comment about the lower cost ribbons as I dont own one, but with the besr ribbons Ive used, you can boost eq a LOT in the high end and make them sound very condenser like. My Royer SF12 is terrific for this.
    A lot of the 'cheap' (non-modded or QC controlled) generic Chinese ribbon microphones are really "woolly" at the top end and the "wool" turns to "mush" if you subject them to much EQ. That is not the case with the the No Hype LRM-2, which is very well behaved. One reason why it impressed me so much. It is in a different league from the 'usual contenders' of re-badged factory mics.

Incidentally.... one other very good, reasonably priced ribbon mic worth checking is the SE Electronics X1R. This is not one of the 'generic' ribbon motors in a different case, but a microphone produced in house by SE and with far, far better QC. It sounds very different from the No Hype LRM-2, but is also an interesting and nice mic in its own right. They had some of these on a "silly price" sale a while ago (€99!)... but I missed it! A friend grabbed one, however, and through a really good preamp (my Audient ASP880) it sounded very nice indeed. If they come up again on sale like that I might just get one.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    A friend grabbed one, however, and through a really good preamp (my Audient ASP880) it sounded very nice indeed. If they come up again on sale like that I might just get one.
    RE: preamps - with my LM-2, I ordered a FETHead for the LM-2 & a FETHead Phantom for a condenser mic. The pre's on my recorder, a Zoom R8, are really weak.

I think these are, albeit likely not up to the level of a pro mic pre, a brilliant, "wish I woulda thought of that" idea, and an elegant way to provide clean gain.

$60 MXL R80 ribbon for today's MF Stupid Deal of the Day:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

EDIT: added to my cart and it says it doesn't ship for 3 months

Blog Entries

Looks like they sold out of those in the blink of an eye. Not surprised at that price.

One of the neat things with ribbon mics is that even if you have some high end ones already, you can look upon some of the better 'cheaper' ones as offering different 'flavors' - as with all mics, some work better on one thing, some on another, so it is a good way to experiment and add some versatility and different sounds to your setup. Price is not always a reliable guide as to what works best in a certain situation, either.

Regarding the FETHEAD (and similar, e.g. Cloudlifter or Marti Audio) 'boosters' these are actually nothing more than exactly the same kind of circuit that builders fit to 'active' ribbon mics, in an external casing. They use a pair of low noise FET transistors that provides a higher impedance on one side (that tends to better suit ribbons), and a lower impedance on the output as well as providing some extra gain. Obviously, if you are using an active ribbon, you don't need them - but they make a huge difference to passive ribbons, in particular if you have lowish gain or noisy preamps on a budget interface or multitrack recorder. You have to experience the difference to believe it. Well worth having at least one in the toolbox!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Regarding the FETHEAD (and similar, e.g. Cloudlifter or Marti Audio) 'boosters' these are actually nothing more than exactly the same kind of circuit that builders fit to 'active' ribbon mics, in an external casing. They use a pair of low noise FET transistors that provides a higher impedance on one side (that tends to better suit ribbons), and a lower impedance on the output as well as providing some extra gain. Obviously, if you are using an active ribbon, you don't need them - but they make a huge difference to passive ribbons, in particular if you have lowish gain or noisy preamps on a budget interface or multitrack recorder. You have to experience the difference to believe it. Well worth having at least one in the toolbox!
    I'll agree with that. I got the mic + pre's yesterday and promptly blew off work for a brief recording session. I did a test with & without the FETHead and the LM-2 - the R8 pre couldn't really bring the mic too far away from the noise floor, while the FETHead gave it a really nice, clean boost. It's solved my issue with these lame pre's for home recording 100%. The mic is great as well. It reminds me somewhat of an RCA44 in the lows & low-mids.

I'll test over the weekend in my friend's studio, we'll A/B the mic & pre against some other ribbons but as you say almeriastrings, different ribbon flavors are a very good thing!

bump

Would be interested in general experiences with more affordable ribbons and why you did or did not like

Quote Originally Posted by fethead View Post
    bump
    Would be interested in general experiences with more affordable ribbons and why you did or did not like
    I have used Nady ribbon mic as a single mic pa for years, yes I said PA. The only problem I’ve had is convincing sound men you can use a ribbon figure 8 in PA’s. To me the ribbon sounds more like first generation BG. The ribbon mic seems to love certain instruments, and does a good job on all. Have not used them in a studio situation, but love it for PA.

I have an SE Electronics Voodoo VR2 active ribbon microphone that I'm very happy with. Just sounds like the mandolin in the room. Everything is there with no EQ needed. Not cheap, but not as expensive as the active ribbons from AEA, Cloud or Royer.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I have used Nady ribbon mic as a single mic pa for years, yes I said PA. The only problem I’ve had is convincing sound men you can use a ribbon figure 8 in PA’s. To me the ribbon sounds more like first generation BG. The ribbon mic seems to love certain instruments, and does a good job on all. Have not used them in a studio situation, but love it for PA.
    You are very brave using a delicate ribbon mic for live use! Not out of doors as well I hope?!!

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    You are very brave using a delicate ribbon mic for live use! Not out of doors as well I hope?!!
    It is a Nady. Cost is little over $100 and yes I’ve used it outside. I’m careful with it to the extent that the rest of the band pokes fun at me about it, once told someone that it didn’t go in the cargo trailer, it went in the truck and was seatbelted in.

Do you record with the Nady ribbon? Any videos of your band recorded through the ribbon mic, Mandoplumb?

I've been happy with my live video recording set up (many samples found in the link by my signature), but thinking it would be fun to add a couple new microphones, and I'm thinking that the No Hype Ribbon would be fun to try. Also, I've recently acquired a Mojave Audio MA300 tube LDC that I think will make a fine bluegrass band microphone.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Also, I've recently acquired a Mojave Audio MA300 tube LDC that I think will make a fine bluegrass band microphone.
    Hey Brad, would you be willing to post a couple of clips of the MA300? I've been seriously considering one.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Do you record with the Nady ribbon? Any videos of your band recorded through the ribbon mic, Mandoplumb?.
    No we used a small studio when we recorded our CD’s which we haven’t for years. Funny he was the one that got me to using the Nady but he hasn’t used one in recording us. He wanted to use it to record upright base on our last CD, I would’t let him. A side note I saw Doyle Lawson when Dale Perry was playing with him in Rocky Mt. Va. when Dale was living in the area. They were using a RCA ribbon and I loved the sound, I asked Dale about the new cheep ribbons he didn’t have any experience so he wouldn’t advise me shortly after I was at this studio and the owner started raving about the Nady. I soon bought one and have used it in 99% of our gigs since. I love it for PA work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Hey Brad, would you be willing to post a couple of clips of the MA300? I've been seriously considering one.
    Eventually I hope to, but it may be a while. I haven't got anything to post yet, and I probably won't make the effort to publish a mic 'shoot out', right now.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos