Thread: Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments

Default Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments

I got to give a great big shout out to Greg Boyd and his house of fine instruments!
    I just got back from a 3500 mile road trip of the western United States, flyfishing. On my way back I went through Missoula and remembered that that was where this iconic music store resided. I went by just before closing and they were headed out to a jam. I told him I was headed out early the next morning and he said he would open the shop before business hours and let me look around. Sure enough I was there and the shop was open before business hours! I've got to tell you I was like a kid in the candy factory. The sheer number of beautiful new and vintage instruments is overwhelming. I played extraordinary mandolins and guitars including one owned by Bill Monroe. A fantastic young woman named Britt, an area professional musician, who works at the shop part-time helped me look at instruments and picked a few tunes with me… Patiently I might add.

All in all what a great guy what a great shop what a great experience! I can't wait to go back.

Fishing and killer music gear...who could resist?
    Barry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry Platnick For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments

Love Greg Boyd and his crew...

Greg is a great guy and a dear friend. I have been dealing with him for about 25 years. He is an honest man, possesses a wealth of knowledge about luthiers far and wide, and plays a mean banjo. I never hesitate to recommend buying from Greg sight unseen as he will tell you the straight scoop on what he's got that might work for your picking style and musical tastes. I am fortunate that I get to go to Missoula regularly as my youngest is a student at the U of M. I try to never pass up a trip to Greg's "house."

Blog Entries

Good to hear. That kind of treatment speaks volumes!

Registered User Richard.g.hampton's Avatar

OK - the first three I've got....but what, for the love of Mike, is "poppin' the gator"?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.g.hampton View Post
    OK - the first three I've got....but what, for the love of Mike, is "poppin' the gator"?
    I was informed that it means "chest-puffing aggression"...like what a gator supposedly does to get aggressive...

8. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.g.hampton View Post
    "Pop a gator A one-man dance move in which the dancer keeps his feet stationary and bends as far back as possible while moving arms, head and torso festively. Performed almost exclusively by men in New Orleans during Mardi Gras parades, particularly when a woman is shaking her behind."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

10. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Spruce 

I've bought and traded several instruments at Greg Boyd's place and it was always a great experience.... I dealt with Chad Fadely every time.... Shame he's not there any longer... He's a good guy who could give a solid description of a mandolin over the phone. I've heard Greg is good at that too. Nice shop...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Registered User Richard.g.hampton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    "Pop a gator A one-man dance move in which the dancer keeps his feet stationary and bends as far back as possible while moving arms, head and torso festively. Performed almost exclusively by men in New Orleans during Mardi Gras parades, particularly when a woman is shaking her behind."
    You learn something new every day on this site!

Thanks

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    I was informed that it means "chest-puffing aggression"...like what a gator supposedly does to get aggressive...
    Show ya what I know, and i googled it...

[QUOTE=JeffD;1512168]"Pop a gator A one-man dance move in which the dancer keeps his feet stationary and bends as far back as possible while moving arms, head and torso festively. /QUOTE]

Moving head and torso 'festively'.
    Hilarious.
    Last edited by UlsterMando; Aug-08-2016 at 6:31pm.
    Refrets, I've had a few . . .

I learn something new every time I "pop" in to Greg Boyd's House Of Fine Music. Greg and his crew are a source of knowledge
    and inspiration for me. Glad I live so close.
    Don Dryer

Don,
    You build a fine mandolin yourself. I have played one of your A models last time I was there.

Did you play anything that stood out to you?
    And did you get to play the Givens F model?

Demetrius,
    I have played several of the Givens, but I am not a good enough player to give you a good review. To me they all sounded great. I did play one a couple of years ago at the Montana Old Time Fiddlers Camp and it was unbelievable, especially when John Reischman played it. It belonged to a Lawyer in Great Falls, he bought it from Greg Boyd.

I played the Givens F and 2 A's. They were all great! the F was throaty and fun but the 1991 A did it all it was very musical and had big B@11s.
    Barry

George, thanks for the kind words.
    Don Dryer

Quote Originally Posted by d-dryer View Post
    I learn something new every time I "pop" in to Greg Boyd's House Of Fine Music. Greg and his crew are a source of knowledge
    and inspiration for me. Glad I live so close.
    Don Dryer
    Don, I have also had the chance to play your mandolins at Greg's shop. Very nice sound and finish, well done!

Thanks vicstylz,
    Greg's store is a big part of the process.
    Don Dryer

Before starting a thread i checked to see if the greatness of Greg and his crew had been brought up before. There was no surprise in the fact that it had.

I had the chance to talk with Greg over the phone yesterday and it was like sitting at the Lotus feet of the Banjo Buddha. I didn't get the name of the person who first answered the phone but as soon as my questions got into Prucha banjo esoterica he asked to me hold for a second and then Greg got on the phone. And he thoroughly answered all my questions and questions i didn't know i had.

For those of us who live out in the pucker brush with minimal access to a quality music store and folks with a wealth of information and experience, to have someone like Greg and his crew take the time to share their knowledge is invaluable.

Many thanks Greg,
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Blog Entries

I have visited Greg's shop a couple of times. It's a LONG drive for me, but both visits were well worth it. And I came home from the last visit with one of those Don Dryer A models mentioned above. A very nice mandolin.

All my best regards to Greg Boyd and Don Dryer if they are watching this.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com