Thread: solid body bridges

I am building some solid body mandolins, and decided to design and build some 4 and 5 string bridges since I have the resources to do the machining process. So, I have a couple questions before finishing the drawings. 1) Is .455, on center, a decent spacing between strings? I have checked several acoustic bridge drawings and the spacing varies between .450-.460. 2) I noticed on other solid body instruments that the nuts touch each other, on tele style bridges, is this necessary? Any idea on how that may impact sound? Thanks for any help.

I will take some measurements on both of the 5-string instruments currently in my possession and report back to you.

What do you mean by "the nuts touch each other"? Are you talking about the individual saddles on a Tuneomatic-style bridge?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Oops, yes I meant saddles. The saddles on a Fender bridge I have touch. I wasn't sure if that was intentional or just luck of the draw. It is on a bass bridge. I noticed some of the guitar bridges have saddles that touch and some don't.

Hi

The saddles should just clear each other for standard Fender string spacing. The "Gibson" spacing is a touch narrower.

I can measure the centres in mm's or 64ths if that helps, but if someone's got a dial caliper I'm sure they'll have a more accurate figure for you.
    Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

Well, the Pentasystem Pentaula 5-string measures 31/64" while the Bacorn comes in at 27/64". The Pentaula is meant to be a little on the wide side.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks mrmando. Basically, it puts mine right in the middle of those two, yours being .484 and .422. My saddles are .450 so I'm going to space the strings at .460 and that should give me adequate space for the saddles and take the string diameter in to consideration. Thats a little wider than the standard setup on a Gibson acoustic bridge. I'll post photos when I'm done. Now off to the stamping company.