Thread: First Generation Gibson F-9 Unicorn

Default First Generation Gibson F-9 Unicorn

So, I purchased my F-9 around 2000 when the first models came out. It's the early style with the light brown flat finish. What is strange about mine is that it has the flowerpot inlay as well as "The Gibson" script. Every other I've seen just said "Gibson" on the headstock. Anyone know the story with the style change and how many of this style were made? Looking to sell and sourcing a value range. Thanks!

Default Re: First Generation Gibson F-9 Unicorn

I believe some of the early F-9 models were frankenmandolins, my 2002 for example
    has a beautiful book matched back, your peg head might have been meant for a higher end mandolin.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Blog Entries

The F9 officially was released in January 2002. Here's the announcement:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F9 Announcement.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	147285

Mine is from June of 2002, the original "light chocolate" (aka "Vintage Brown") color with black binding. Just "Gibson" in the headstock. I love the voice, and the beautiful simplicity.

-- Don
    Last edited by dhergert; Jun-13-2016 at 4:49pm.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

First web posting in Feb 2002

Gibson F9
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Nice, thanks for posting that!

-- Don

7. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

So I just bought this mysterious unicorn from Ryan (the creator of this post) via eBay. Does anyone have an idea why the interesting headstock? It's definitely a flowerpot with "The Gibson" above.

The serial number is 20401020. If I decoded it correctly that's April fools day 2002! Any and all theories welcome.

Pictures can be seen here!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0gGqkRUiGqzORe

That headstock is basically the same as the F5G from that era. They might have needed to finish an order and simply grabbed whatever they had available. I like flower pots so it would have appealed to me.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Interesting.

I really like that first-generation F-9 design--flowerpot or not. The understated monotone stain, dark binding, dot-free fingerboard, etc., really appealed to my sense of aesthetics. That stripped-down look was similar to Gilchrist's "classical" model, which I also thought was an elegant set of appointments that suggested violin-family instruments. They may have been less expensive that than top-line Gibsons, but they looked classy.

The subsequent F-9 models with somewhat uninspired sunbursts, dots, white binding, etc., look a lot like every other wannabe F-5, which I guess was the point based on some marketing surveys. I seem to be in the minority.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

You're not alone Paul, I always liked the original F9 and A9 better than the later ones.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I agree the earlier versions just look slicker than later ones. The flowerpot is just a sweet bonus!!

I noticed that another Gibson F 9 frankenmando showed up at TMS.
    How does the TMS price compare with yours art guy?
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    I noticed that another Gibson F 9 frankenmando showed up at TMS.
    How does the TMS price compare with yours art guy?
    I don't see a price on the TMS listing. I can tell you that the TMS F9 seems to be a newer version as it has the cream binding - not the dark/black binding on the front. The color is different as well. The one I'm expecting to show up tomorrow is a chocolate brown color. Looking forward to FEDEX arriving!

Well the new (to me) F9 arrived yesterday. A beautiful caramel color. A few dings in the right spots, and that awesome woody Gibson sound! I put a new set of sam bush strings on, buffed it up, and played it all afternoon!

Now to find out the story behind the story. The date on the master model label is 4/1/2002.

April Fool!!

Blog Entries

Mine is 6/18/2002 and #60 for the year... And it has all the standard appointments including just Gibson inlaid in the headstock.

The finish is also the standard "light chocolate" (aka "Vintage Brown") color, with the standard black binding for this vintage. The wood is pretty, but plain. The neck has a fair amount of flame, and with my playing the finish is getting worn off. I really like the look because of the pretty wood and simplicity.

I got mine 2nd hand also. The top was a little dug up by picking/fingernails, so I've fitted it with a nice ebony pickguard to cover and prevent more damage. I've also added a tone guard and an ebony armrest -- I'm a big believer in letting the instrument ring freely without hand or body contact except where absolutely required at the neck and fingerboard. The ebony pickguard and ebony armrest also provide nice dark wood accents along with the un-inlayed, un-bound ebony fingerboard and the black binding, all in nice contrast with the factory dark vintage brown finish.

Somewhat of an oddball, I tune my F9 in slack-key "C" tuning (aka taropatch tuning) so the intervals and fingering are the same as I use on my 5-string and 4-string banjos; the mando is just in open C instead of open G or open Bb on the banjos. I'm using DA FlatTops for the lower 2 courses, and am using slightly higher-than-normal guage unwound strings for the higher 2 courses to provide better tone and feel with the flatpick. As it is setup, this mando has become my go-to instrument for working up melodies that I'll play on either mando or banjo.

The tone of this mando is definitely Gibson and it's got good power. I'm not a loud flatpicker, but the F9 gets the message out just fine. This is my only practical mando (I do have an old taterbug but don't use it much) and I tend to take take it everywhere that I can imagine myself pulling it out to pick for a few minutes; this includes daily to work, and on outings. I don't need much of an excuse to pull it out. It's convenient, fun to play, fun to hear.

-- Don

18. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post: