Thread: Post a video of you recent builds

Default Post a video of you recent builds

Please share a video of one of your recent mandolin builds.
    This is the first mandolin I have built. I have played most of my life, And I have been a professional woodworker for the last 10 year so I finally put the two together and I've been happy with the results so far.
    I would appreciate any feedback you may have on this mandolin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jr Brown For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Post a video of you recent builds

Strong first effort.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Blog Entries

Great looking and sounding mandolin! What patterns and carving specs did you use to build it? Dove tail joint?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Nice playing - sounds like a great mandolin too!

Hi Bernie, as far as patterns and graduations. I have a Janish A5 that is a tremendous mandolin, one of the best A's I've ever played.
    I pretty much copied it is closely as possible with a few minor changes. I have a special set of calipers that enabled me to get inside and mapout all the thicknesses of the top and back. And the graduations. I did do a Siminoff style neck joint(v-joint and dowels).
    I also did a carbon fiber rod in the neck witch worked out very well also. Oil varnish finish

7. The following members say thank you to Jr Brown for this post:

Mr. Brown your approach to playing and building is unique and refreshing. Great first build, it seems to have a good sustain/response balance with some beautiful mid and treble tone.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jr Brown View Post
    Hi Bernie, as far as patterns and graduations. I have a Janish A5 that is a tremendous mandolin, one of the best A's I've ever played.
    I pretty much copied it is closely as possible with a few minor changes. I have a special set of calipers that enabled me to get inside and mapout all the thicknesses of the top and back. And the graduations. I did do a Siminoff style neck joint(v-joint and dowels).
    I also did a carbon fiber rod in the neck witch worked out very well also. Oil varnish finish
    I think that is a nicely thought out set of specs. Having done both the dove tail and the Siminoff V-joint/dowels I find the latter much easier to fit up!

How do you apply your varnish? I used hand rubbed Tru-oil finish last time and was very pleased with the results.

If you find the time to do it a picture of the calipers you devised for measuring graduation would probably be something of interest to everyone.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I really like the Siminoff style neck joint it is quite simple to achieve a very tight fitted joint, Ensuring proper sound transition from the neck to the body.
    On the oil varnish. I did 3 coats of Pratt and Lambert 38 varnish and that 7 very very thin coat of truoil. All hand rubbed. I turned out a very nice silkey satin look. I cant say enough good things about truoil.
    Here is a picture of the calipers.
    There are AWESOME!!!! You can get them in the F-hole and measure the thickness of the whole top, and most of the back.
    every luthier should have a pair. The model is I-gaging 35-OD8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32000-02-1000.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	147043Click image for larger version. 

ID:	147043

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jr Brown For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jr Brown View Post
    I really like the Siminoff style neck joint it is quite simple to achieve a very tight fitted joint, Ensuring proper sound transition from the neck to the body.
    On the oil varnish. I did 3 coats of Pratt and Lambert 38 varnish and that 7 very very thin coat of truoil. All hand rubbed. I turned out a very nice silkey satin look. I cant say enough good things about truoil.
    Here is a picture of the calipers.
    There are AWESOME!!!! You can get them in the F-hole and measure the thickness of the whole top, and most of the back.
    every luthier should have a pair. The model is I-gaging 35-OD8
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	147043Click image for larger version. 

ID:	147043
    Wow I saw those calipers (or similar) for sale on the IV site a few weeks ago and was going to order a set and then forgot about it until it was too late!
    Bernie
    ____