Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TKL Mandolins

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: TKD Mandolins (TheMandoShop)

Excellent post & info Mr. Fear!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

In case anyone here is interested in the sound of a TKD F5. Considering the obviously difficult filming conditions, I think it sounds pretty good.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    In case anyone here is interested in the sound of a TKD F5. Considering the obviously difficult filming conditions, I think it sounds pretty good.

Interesting....no strap...... and there's nothing like a kid reminding you how much you suck at playing the mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    Interesting....no strap...... and there's nothing like a kid reminding you how much you suck at playing the mandolin!
    He doesn't even have a pot belly to rest it on Doing that whole piece from memory is pretty astonishing. His Dad was his first teacher, but he has left Dad far behind and there are no other mandolin teachers in the country, so he is now learning what he can from an accomplished classical violinist. Much of what he knows he has learned from .tef files.

6. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Check out "Solving the Stradivarius secret" on YouTube. I found the video very interesting but you do need to block some time to watch it at about 1 1/2 hours. The tools he uses inside the f holes to change the sound of the violin may possibly be something like what Kyle Dunn is doing for his TKD mandolin. I may be overthinking things a bit

Shipping "parts" into the U.S. has its advantages from a $$$ standpoint. The duties and taxes are quite different. So, if you make parts overseas where the labor is cheaper (although labor expense in China is rising and many companies are moving either to outer, more rural areas within the country to control costs) and then assemble here in the U.S. you balance the best of both worlds. It's a balancing act.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Look at the video around the 50 minute mark to see where the gentleman discusses how luthiers used tools to fine tune a Strad violin by way of the f-holes. In rounding out the discussion on this thread about TDK mandolins and the process he uses (tap tuning - a legitimate process used by luthiers to further fine tune an instrument), my guess is that many luthiers probably fashion their own tools to "sand" or lightly remove the wood surface on the underside of the top of the instrument thru the f-holes (mandolin in this case) to change the sound slightly to what the luthier feels is the correct specifications for the sound they are trying to achieve. This becomes his signature for his brand of TDK. Some buyers will love it while others will be drawn to other instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    Interesting....no strap......
    No tone gard or snark, either!

Default Re: TKL Mandolins (TheMandoShop)

I just wanted to add, that a couple months I went ahead bought an Eagle F5 TKD mandolin and my impressions were that it sounded amazing, one the best mandolins l have played, BUT the catch is that the fit and finish were terrible.
    I mean, I found a chisel mark near the the neck heel, uneven points, some sanding marks, you get the picture.
    So if you want great sounding and playing(set was great too!)instrument this is for you, but if you want mandolin with the fit and finish of a Gil, don't look here.

Blog Entries

Regarding tap-tuning, this term is also widely used in the banjo community to express finding the right tension for a head by identifying the note that an unstrung banjo head makes when tapped. On some banjos this may also include compensation for wolf-notes. I'm sure the term is also used in the percussion community.

"Build it like a Loar. Adjustments were made on the Loars by adjusting the treble f-hole size." -- Charlie Derrington
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I've read several of the comments in other threads about Kyle and the Mando Shop. I can't speak about anything other than the way he treated me when I bought my first instrument. Kyle was thorough in answering all my questions and he acted, and treated me as a professional. That he knocked a couple hundred off the price of my Weber Gallatin also helped me make up my mind about him. I've since read some of the comments about Kyle that had I read them prior to buying my Weber, they most certainly have influenced me and I probably not bought from him - and at this point, after being treated well by the man I'm not sure how fair that is to him. Personally, after buying from Kyle, receiving my mandolin, and speaking with him a few more times about a Weber Diamondback, I'm as confused as ever about the issues that circle above him. Kyle never asked me to write a review of my purchase or his business - I would swear to that on a Bible. I can't speak for his in-house brand of mandolins, but he carries enough other quality brands that there should be no question about those products.

I wouldn't buy or have set up any instrument from Kyle at the Mando Shop. Once I get burned I stay away from fire !

I guess we all have had an experience or three where we were disappointed with a set-up, build, or a transaction. I know I had a bad experience with a builder here, plus a poor or non set-up by one of the instrument dealers. The dealer actually did give me some compensation on the other end and an apology. The worst experience I had was selling a mandolin here at the Classifieds and after shipping being told by the buyer that he decided against it and would send it back "Return to Sender" so he could save shipping fees.
    I didn't realize it at the time, but "Return to Sender" with a large package, get's the proverbial, "Slow boat to China." Took 16 days from Palm City Florida to Annapolis MD.
    But for whatever bad experiences I may have had with a builder, shop, or dealer, I can count numerous times where the same builder, shop, etc got absolutely rave reviews from a dozen people.
    That's what I look for, is the ratio of good versus bad reviews and then make a decision from there. I believe I have read enough good stuff about Timothy Kyle Dunn (TKD) to do business. The caveat would be I've been wrong before.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

16. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

You know, part of the fun in this community is the meandering discussion that can result from a simple question or two. Contributions run in so many tributaries a thread can seem more like the Missouri...reminds me of a song I should go learn! Keep going....please...fascinating conversation!
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Just purchased a TKD Rex Fox. F style. Burgundy finish. The sound was really there. It has true pop and punch. A real player. Loud with plenty of tone and sustain. Great balance. The set up was perfect. Fit and finish was decent also. Excellent intonation. A small blemish for which Kyle reduced the price to $595.00 without any problem. Nice HSC. He shipped quickly and packed well. I'd do business again.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Just purchased a TKD Rex Fox. F style. Burgundy finish. The sound was really there. It has true pop and punch. A real player. Loud with plenty of tone and sustain. Great balance. The set up was perfect. Fit and finish was decent also. A small blemish for which Kyle reduced the price to $595.00 without any problem. Nice HSC. He shipped quickly and packed well. I'd do business again.
    Nice !, How does it compare to the volume of your Weber and tone wise how would you compare it to the Weber ? If your real happy with it 600 bucks is a killer deal. I have a older Weber Bitteroot and have tried several mandolins in that $600-$1000 price range & none of come close to sound of the Weber. I've been looking for a 2nd mandolin and ended up ordering a custom build from Ratlif. I was looking at the TKD awhile ago but didn't find any real good info. from an owner of one.
    Thanks
    Lou

The Weber is the only mandolin I own that has better tone or volume. But the fit and finish of the Weber is beyond compare. Right now though I can't afford to own the Weber and this will replace it as a "go to" mandolin.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Right now I'm downsizing price wise. I can't afford to any longer own an expensive mandolin like my Weber. Can't get out enough to play and got too many medical bills to justify ownership of anything really frivolous. Time to let go.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    The Weber is the only mandolin I own that has better tone or volume. But the fit and finish of the Weber is beyond compare. Right now though I can't afford to own the Weber and this will replace it as a "go to" mandolin.
    If it's good enough to replace your Weber that's great. Too bad we can't keep em all I'll be selling one as soon my Ratliff shows up and I've got an amp & guitar I've owned for 30 years on consignment to help fund another amp purchase. Hopefully I'll never have to sell the Weber.
    Thanks
    Lou

You are welcome Lou. I don't want to part with this Weber either. At this time though, outside of my house or a car it's the biggest asset I have and its a luxury type asset rather than a necessity. Tough decision, but one I make logically.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I purchased a Falcon from Kyle about six months ago. My experience was very positive. For the price, TKD mandolins have many features of found on more expensive mandolins. You can certainly spend well over $5k for one built entirely in the US, but for the price, you can't go wrong with a TKD. This replaced a well set-up Rogue - if you want to go really cheap - this is the way to go, BUT send it to Jerry Rosa in MO for the set-up.

8 Strings - seriously? jpoulette's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: TKL Mandolins

I just picked up one used, looks and sounds amazing to me.

But at the end of the day - what he said:

"Interesting....no strap...... and there's nothing like a kid reminding you how much you suck at playing the mandolin!"
    One f-style and a boat-load of banjos.