Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Loar yesterday

Default I bought a Loar yesterday

I bought a Loar LM-500-VS yesterday. I tried all the mandolins in the shop and this one sounded the best to me without being over-the-top as far as fanciness. Seems like a really nice mandolin. It's really pretty and the sound is definitely better than my Flinthill $100 mandolin. I'm really happy. Does anybody else have one of these? Do you love it?

The end pin falls out really easily. I live in a dry climate so I doubt it will ever fit in snugly. I hope I can put some tape on that to keep it in, but will it be safe enough after that to put my strap on the mandolin? I like to stand sometimes when I play at the jam.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: I bought a Loar yesterday

Is that end pin just a press fit? Is it metal?
    You could glue it in with a bit of 5 minute epoxy. Just a little in the hole to stabilize the pin. If you ever needed to remove it, you could heat the pin with a soldering iron and break the glue bond. I know that sounds scary, but I glue the metal fittings on my hardwood Irish penny whistles with epoxy and occasionally use that trick to break the bond.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Guess you don't know about that rule we have around here.......
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

What rule?

The end pin is wood. It fell out in the back yard and I found it. I put some tape on it and it seems pretty sturdy now, but I worry it is not safe to use with the strap. I am probably worrying too much.

Sure seems like a nice mandolin. Sounds so good even with my terrible playing. I hope this is the last mandolin I ever own.

Underappreciated model. I have had good luck getting a nice tone. Just hard to sell.
    Stephen Perry

I hope not to ever sell it. I've played my Flinthill for 10 years now. This new one ought to serve me the rest of my life.

8. The following members say thank you to sbhikes for this post:

I think the "rule" is not to glue the end pin in, especially with epoxy. If you can use a piece of tape to secure the end pin that is fine. If it is too loose, you would have to have another end pin fit to the instrument by someone who has the proper tools to do so.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

10. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I had a Loar LM-600 VS a few years ago. It was, I dunnno, my third mandolin. Certainly the first real instrument I ever owned. I sold it and have bought and sold a bunch of mandolins since then. If I knew then what I know now, I would have known that it was all the mandolin I would ever need. Congrats on the Loar.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I think the "rule" is not to glue the end pin in...
    I think he meant "new mando" threads must contain pics of said mando.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

13. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Oh, yea, a Loar versus a "The Loar".
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

I thought the rule was a "Loar" refers to a 1920's Gibson f-5 signed by Lloyd Loar. Whereas "The Loar" refers to the modern import company. No offense to meant to the OP, the modern company decided to muddy the waters on purpose.....

I see Charles E. just beat me to it.......

And yes, I was secretly hoping it was the guy who found the "signed Loar" at the flea market for $20.......

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Put superglue on tapered part of endpin, let dry completely, sand to size.

Use backup method to prevent dropping instrument, just in case. See picture below:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StrapSafe.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	155574
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

21. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

"the last mandolin"...???

Keep playing, you'll find more mandolins out there that sound better...

and better...

(Keep listening!)

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I wish I could take a picture but my camera is broken.

No seriously, I'm not a collector type. I was happy with my $100 mandolin before and I only bought this one because my friends want to record a CD and said they wouldn't let me play on the CD unless I borrowed a better mandolin. So instead of that, I bought a better mandolin. I can't wait for the big reveal on Wednesday when I show up to the jam and pull this beautiful thing out of my bag.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbhikes For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Philphool;1565972]Put superglue on tapered part of endpin, let dry completely, sand to size.

Use backup method to prevent dropping instrument, just in case.]

I never trust the end pin or strap, at least one hand is on the mandolin at any time I'm standing with it. I used to watch Johnny Cash sling that D-45 around to his back and shutter each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Use backup method to prevent dropping instrument, just in case. See picture below:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StrapSafe.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	155574
    Cool - Thanks.

My Loar ... LOAR! ... LORDY LOAR! ... Loar LM 600 is all the mandolin I'll ever need. But that doesn't mean I've stopped looking and wondering ...

27. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Underappreciated model. I have had good luck getting a nice tone. Just hard to sell.
    I think Loars are good value in that price range I couldn't find any other that sounded as good. I bought a used Loar 600 really liked it only took the guy less than a week to sell it and he had a guy right behind me who wanted it. I upgraded put the Loar in classifieds had 3 responses and it sold in few days.

Fortunately I don't know a lot about mandolins so I went to the shop to make my choice based on sound alone. I told the guy I was uninterested in price or brand name. I only cared that it would be loud and sound nice, and also that it would be set up well and the tuning pegs would work smoothly. I also wasn't interested in an F-style since I don't feel I'm a good enough player for something so fancy. But they handed me one to play anyway and it sounded really nice, so I tried several of those, too. After playing them all and hearing them played for me, I narrowed it down to two of them (both F-styles, both "the" Loars, ha ha). Then I asked the guy at the shop to play my old one (a super cheap A-style) and these two and wow, what a difference between the three. I picked the best one of the three because why the hell not? At least it wasn't a $1000+ mandolin thank goodness. I would have paid that much if I had to, but thankfully I didn't have to. The only thing I don't like about it is it is sort of heavy and now I have to worry about it getting scratched up. It's like sunglasses. The ones that are already scratched up never get lost and don't get any more scratched, but the brand new ones always get scratched up or lost.

Believe me, if you plan on playing at jams your mandolin WILL get scratched, I have a nice long one on one of my mandolins from a dobro player that just had to get right in the middle of the circle when he took a break and his head stock placed a nice long scratch on the top on my mandolin...I have distressed it some to hide the scratch, if you bought it expecting to keep it pristine you will be disappointed before long...

Willie

Here are some pictures!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2547.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	581.7 KB 
ID:	155590

Name:	IMG_2548.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	593.0 KB 
ID:	155591

Name:	IMG_2549.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	588.3 KB 
ID:	155592

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sbhikes For This Useful Post:

She's a beaut! Congratulations!

For any Canucks admiring sbhikes' new mando and thinking 'why, I'd like to get me one of those Loar mandolins,' well, amazon.ca has a couple of Loar LM-520 VS for $435 CAD right now. I have been watching the price drop from the regular price of $845 CAD over the past week or so. This mandolin would definitely need a set up (as in, it would come with the bridge in a little baggie, and in need of work on the nut, frets, etc) but that is a pretty sweet price for a Loar in Canada.

Congrats on the new Mando! I've owned an LM-500 (the superior second version like yours) and you're going to be very happy. Agree with Mr Perry that they are underappreciated instruments, much of which I attribute to the brand name. The thick finish is pretty bullet-proof, but scratches and dings are going to happen. Accept it and love the character they add.

My end pin was also loose. Put one wrap of blue painters tape around it for a snug fit and never had a problem with it afterwards and I prefer to stand and play most of the time. However, like Mandoplum I do (try to) keep a hand on any mandolin when using a strap cause you just never know what might happen. Had an electric guitar slung behind my back long ago that let loose and even though it sustained only minor damage I shudder to think of the possibilities to this day.

Pick 'em hard!

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane