Thread: Jam Origin MIDI Guitar thing

Default Jam Origin MIDI Guitar thing

I just tried this crazy thing and it seems very promising. I only got the free trial; the full version is 99 USD.
    Plugged in the mandobird and had a blast. I'll probably buy it.
    Anybody else using this?

Default Re: Jam Origin MIDI Guitar thing

I put in a divided pickup , RMC.. their polydrive 2 box has the 13 pin output , to feed a Roland guitar synth .

Actual Pitch to Midi gear.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I didn't know there was such a thing as pitch to midi. This looks like a game changer for me.

I'm putting a Graphtech Ghost acoustic system in a strat. Been studying midi options and thinking Fishman triple play looks best. But wishing there was a reliable midi rig for violin and e-mando.
    Holy smokes. I plugged both instruments into this thing and it works! Synth mando. I'm ecstatic.

Mandroid, have you been using it for a while? Is it dependable; i.e. no crashes, random dropouts, hanging notes?

Midi is the sound files .. same as Keyboards ..

One thing is the Roland Pedal board format Synthesizers, are made for the pitch range of a Guitar

so the last note on a Guitar neck is all they write for .. a GDAE Mandolin E string has Pitches that go on Past

where Roland writes sound files for ..

CGDA works better .. viola range..

FWIW Godin uses RMC , of Berkeley Cal as the source for their synth accessible instruments component parts

the A8 mandolin uses them as a combined 4 into one signal to their EQ circuit board..

Roland GR 30 has been more reliable than the GR33, it seems (sample of 1 of each)
    both discontinued by now. 55 i think is the latest ..

Have a 4 x 13 pin signal divider that allows multiple synths each with its own instrument flavor layer
    to be mixed back down with a 4: 1 stereo Mixer ..

Not much of a computer Guy more a Mechanic.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sorry, I didn't understand your first reply. I thought you were using some variant of the Jam Origin software.

Their software interprets pitch to midi, without any other hardware. Well, besides a computer, audio interface and decent monitors.
    Plug in standard guitar cable, out comes any sound you want. Or, combinations of sounds.

(I do love the Godin multiac slim nylon, but haven't tried one with a Roland unit.)

My 4 string retrofit : http://www.emando.com/images/builders/Biller.jpg

that pretty cheap? Probably not,
    when you include the tablet mixer, or whatever you run the software on?

anyhow Ill leave this topic. see if you are alone here on that purchase
    applied to Mandolins, as I pretty much am with mine .

may be more peers on a guitar forum on that ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use a Roland GR 20. One guitar has the GK1 pickup, the other Fender Strat came with a GK3 factory installed. You will find tracking is an interesting hurdle. You can't do chicken picking or you get strange squeeks and such... And even playing styles change. When doing rock organ I play solos different than I would guitar.

The GR55 is an insane piece of gear with amp modelling, tunings etc etc etc. I was looking at them and considering upgrading. I want the Godin xtsa guitar as well though
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Midi is the sound files .. same as Keyboards ..

One thing is the Roland Pedal board format Synthesizers, are made for the pitch range of a Guitar

so the last note on a Guitar neck is all they write for .. a GDAE Mandolin E string has Pitches that go on Past
    Check if your pickup does transpose, i think it's a common feature, e.g. the Triple Play can transpose the note value up to 2 octaves up or down

Bill Stokes: Thanks for the tip, I'm going to have to run a mando thru some of my synths. Do you detect tracking error on the virtual pickup?

[edit] a reddit thread talking about VST/AU alternatives: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...thesizersmidi/
    Last edited by gtani7; Apr-29-2016 at 11:09pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Here's what I'm talking about. I bought the full version yesterday. It exceeded my expectations.
    Last edited by Bill Stokes; Apr-30-2016 at 2:57pm. Reason: didn't embed!?!

Awesome- but do you have to haul your computer along with you on a gig?
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Well yes, there is that. I've used a laptop on gigs for keyboard midi.

I'm still pondering the possibilities, now that all my instruments have become midi controllers. I'm primarily a violinist, and the violin works great with this. Also nylon string guitar and GDAE mando.