Thread: Baxendale mandocello?

Default Baxendale mandocello?

Hello,

I am in the market for a mandocello and have been discovering that it is tough to find a decent instrument that isn't $2000 and up. I tried the Wishnevsky model, but it was unplayable due to a fret being in slightly the wrong place, so I sent it back.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Baxendale Guitars? They do mandocello conversions of old Kay and Harmony guitars, with added bracing to improve the tone. These run normally around $1000 to $1300, which is just about my spending limit. I looked it up and one of the guitarists for Drive By Truckers uses one!

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wes

Default Re: Baxendale mandocello?

Mandocellos at FolkReps.com located in Portugal. Haven't played any of these, but have bought a couple of cavaquinhos from FolkReps and am very pleased with the quality.

Those look interesting. It seems a little too good to be true, but I will research it. Thanks!

If you hop over to the CBOM board you'll find a fair amount of posts about APC.

Interesting. I am pretty new to the mandolin family, and I had no idea about this brand. Do they have a good reputation for quality?